Non fiction writing goals

joetab24

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am attempting to clarify what my writing goals are.

As I mentioned in my first few posts when I joined the site, since June of this year, I have been writing about 750 words each morning.

I just printed my writing from this period of time and while it is impressive to me since I've never written this much on a regular basis, I know if I never move beyond this habit, I will not grow as a writer.

I want to keep this habit going, but I also need to set some goals for myself. I know for sure that I want to focus on writing non fiction. I am particularly interested in writing editorials. This will help me to become a more critical thinker, help me to synthesize my knowledge, and become a better writer.

I think a reasonable target for me is to set a weekly goal of posting to my blog a 700 word editorial or column on a single topic, as if I wrote for a newspaper. This will force me to pull from my morning writing, which is best described as a "brain purge".

Does this sound like a decent plan?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a good scheme. Good luck with your goals!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a worthy goal. Good Luck! :)

joetab24

Registered
Reaction score
This past week I had a letter to the editor published in the Philly Inquirer, my second of the month. My wife claims they'll publish anything. But I like to think my writing is standing out, if only slightly. I wonder if there is a point where they will stop printing my letters due to too many submissions. Maybe I will wait a few weeks before submitting again, or submit to some other publications.