Bill O'Reilly Supporting Some Gun Control

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Bill must have taken the right medication that day. I actually think he makes some great points.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The GOP has moved pretty far right when O'Reilly starts sounding like a lefty in comparison.

Langadune

Harley Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The part of Kansas that doesn't look like the part
Actually... he's always been in favor of gun control, much to the chagrin of his conservative supporters. On the subject of "heavy weapons" which only shows his ignorance about firearms. Most people cannot own "machine guns" and mortars. There are what is called Class III permits which allow people to purchase and own machine guns, short-barreled rifles and shotguns, silencers, destructive weapons and some others. Not all states allow "Class III" firearms. They are expensive and must be renewed periodically and involve a background check. The federal government knows if you have a class III permit.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually... he's always been in favor of gun control, much to the chagrin of his conservative supporters. On the subject of "heavy weapons" which only shows his ignorance about firearms. Most people cannot own "machine guns" and mortars. There are what is called Class III permits which allow people to purchase and own machine guns, short-barreled rifles and shotguns, silencers, destructive weapons and some others. Not all states allow "Class III" firearms. They are expensive and must be renewed periodically and involve a background check. The federal government knows if you have a class III permit.

I'm just curious, but where did you find that info? I live in Washington and I know machine guns are illegal here, but I think they are legal in most states. Also, I thought a class 3 license was required by the dealer but not the buyer. No?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
What kind of machine guns are we talking about? I'm pretty sure 50cal are illegal for anyone to own no matter what.

If we're talking SUBmachine guns, you can't own them if they are fully-auto, but you can buy the semi-auto ones.

So I'm not quite sure O'Reilly is going out on a limb when he says "Mortars. Howitzers. Machine guns." should all be reported to the FBI. Really, Bill? Really?

Langadune

Harley Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The part of Kansas that doesn't look like the part
Each state has its own laws on whether to allow class 3 ownership. Nevada for instance allows it.

Machine guns are defined by the NFA as any firearm that can fire more than one round in a single trigger pull, a submachinegun falls under this definition (sub means it's a pistol caliber machinegun ).

50 calibers are not universally illegal in the USA...they are illegal in California, but not in all states. Again, it's up to the discretion of each state.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I served active duty in the U.S. Army in Vietnam, 1969-1970, and I have fired a .50-cal machine-gun.

For what legitimate purpose would any private citizen need one of these things?

caw

Anaquana

needed a good laugh today
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
Actually, he believes gay people should be allowed to get married and adopt children. And he said that about 3-4 years ago, even.

A friend saw an interview with him several months ago where he pretty much came out and said his real life views are fairly moderate and his ultra-conservative persona is just an act for Fox News. I'll have to ask her where she saw the interview so I can try and find it online.

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
To be prepared to fight against the tyranny of the FedGov, of course.

As a poster at another political site said in response to someone declaiming about FedGov and the necessity of heavy weapons to fight against its tyranny: I hate to tell you this, Bob, but the Feds have The Bomb.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
As a poster at another political site said in response to someone declaiming about FedGov and the necessity of heavy weapons to fight against its tyranny: I hate to tell you this, Bob, but the Feds have The Bomb.

They had to write themselves a class IV permit for that and they are supposed to know where the weapons are at all times and most of the time they do.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
A friend saw an interview with him several months ago where he pretty much came out and said his real life views are fairly moderate and his ultra-conservative persona is just an act for Fox News. I'll have to ask her where she saw the interview so I can try and find it online.

Does that mean Bill O'Reilly is the original Stephen Colbert? :D

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score

Well, carrying a gun really bit him in the ass, didn't it?

I'd laugh except that a five-year-old girl was injured while out shopping with her mom, and now has both physical and (I would imagine) emotional trauma to cope with.

Just the price we pay so that guys like Canady can carry their guns wherever they want, though, right?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I served active duty in the U.S. Army in Vietnam, 1969-1970, and I have fired a .50-cal machine-gun.

caw

Because they think it's cool and want to shoot targets.

Hey, it's not a GOOD reason, but there's not a very good reason for me to spend a huge amount of time playing video games. Of course, video games don't cut people in half with accelerated metal slugs, so take that with a grain of salt.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score

To shoot the Black Helicopters when they show up to force us to breed with aliens.