Darn. My bad.

little_e

Trust: that most precious coin.
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine it would actually taste very good anymore, anyway--not unless you want to drink vinegar.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me, I remember a friend used to work for a supermarket and when I asked her why she didn't have the job any more (this was 5-6 years ago) she said that it was because she was fired, due to accidentally knocking a whole aisle of alcohol on the floor.

little_e

Trust: that most precious coin.
Registered
Reaction score

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I remember the guy who tripped on the stairs at the Fitzwilliam museum in Cambridge and destroyed a pair of ancient Chinese vases. And wasn't there the guy who was showing off the Old Master he was about to sell and accidentally put his elbow through it? (ETA: ah, yes, Steve Wynn and his $140M Picasso.)

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
The wealthy customer asked to see the bottle.

See with your eyes, not your hands.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
ohhhh mannnn. I cringe just reading things like this. I lost a 300 dollar ring when I was 14 (who the hell gives expensive jewelry to a 14 year old) and I still feel SO GUILTY about it. Something like this would probably haunt me forever. I wouldn't be able to sleep. Such profound self loathing would result.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man. I hate it when I break my wine bottles, but I don't buy wine that costs more than $12. So I hate it because I'm losing precious alcohol, not because of the cost.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
ohhhh mannnn. I cringe just reading things like this. I lost a 300 dollar ring when I was 14 (who the hell gives expensive jewelry to a 14 year old) and I still feel SO GUILTY about it. Something like this would probably haunt me forever. I wouldn't be able to sleep. Such profound self loathing would result.

When I was in third grade, a boy had a crush on me (used to chase me on the playground and that kind of silliness). He gave me a gold id bracelet with my name on it for Christmas that year. It was from Target, his mom took him to get it, and I didn't want it at.all. My parents made me take it and be really gracious, and then go get him a gift.

The next week, I lost it. I've never felt so guilty about something in my entire life. That was just a $20 piece of jewelry from Target...I think I'd wants to hide in a hole if I broke something worth 77K.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine it would actually taste very good anymore, anyway--not unless you want to drink vinegar.

Cognac has way too much alcohol to allow growth of the bacteria that convert alcohol to vinegar. If it was actually cognac when it was bottled, then it was a truly well aged cognac indeed.

My real question is why was the bottle not behind a case where all thumbs customers could not handle it?

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
I hope the wine merchant is able to recollect something for his loss, but I've always wondered how that really works. Is a customer, by law, required to honor a "you break it, you buy it" philosophy unconditionally? The few times I've broken anything in a store, the store owners never made me pay. Granted, I think both times I was a kid though... and the damage wasn't extreme.