1876 Western Photography

wandering

Wandering the west
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.westernwoodartist.com
I'm writing a book that is based in 1876, Deadwood, Dakota Territory and trying to find out what type of photography was used for personal portraits? Maybe tin types, but don't know. If someone in the camp wanted a portrait and went to the photographer what type of photography and camera was used?? I'm fairly certain that wet plates were used for professional photography...but don't think it was used for common portraits. Appreciate any help and ideas. Thanks,

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been working with a lot of old pictures (family genealogy). Tintypes were still in use in 1876, but in decline. Cabinet cards were becoming popular about then and often had the name of the photography studio on the back of the card. I was able to find a lot of information through Google on the types of pictures, how the scenes in the pictures (and clothes) helped establish the time period, etc. Try Google and see where that leads. Puma

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Are cabinet cards the same thing as cartes-de-visite?

While there were established photography studios, there were also itinerant photographers who traveled around with mini-darkrooms in their covered wagons.

One of my photography history books says that albumen (egg white) prints were so popular that entire cookbooks were written to deal with the surplus of egg yolks. They were so popular that battery chicken farms were invented (in the UK, I believe) to supply enough eggs for printing photographs.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Really? I thought intensive farming wasn't invented until the 1940s cos we were so short of food after WW2

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Really? I thought intensive farming wasn't invented until the 1940s cos we were so short of food after WW2

This only refers to chickens. I quote from Victorian Photographers at Work, by John Hannavy (Shire Publications, 1997):

The basis of all albumen printing was egg-white, and such was the demands for albumen that factory farming of hens was introduced in the late 1850s to meet growing demand. According to the Photographic Journal in 1862, one London paper manufacturer alone was using in excess of half a million eggs a year, and these were the days of many small manufacturers rather than a few large ones. (p. 48)

He goes on to say that the side-effect egg yolks were used in confectionery and tanning leather, but millions were just dumped, there were so many.

That seems really wasteful. I'd have boiled them and fed them to the poor.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
In the research I did, it looked like albumin prints pre-dated tintypes. I have only one in my collection and it's from about 1860.

I think cabinet cards are the same as cartes de visite, but I'd have to get back into it to make sure.

One of the other things I found very interesting was the popularity of postcard photographs that came in about 1910. Puma

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Yes and no...here is a link that explains it very well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_card

I really have to remember to just do a quick check on Wikipedia before answering these things.

One more point, and one that may be totally irrelevant, but ...

Before some time in the 1930s, black-and-white film was super-sensitive to blue light and almost blind to yellow and red light. As a result, blue things look far lighter than they should in old photographs, and red and especially yellow things look much darker than expected. Blue skies are almost always washed-out white, while bright yellow things look very dark indeed.

I have seen a vintage yellow dress which was miraculously kept together with a photo of someone wearing it. It is so dark in the photo, one would have guessed it was dark brown or black.

This is also why East Asian and Native American people look strangely darker in old photographs than they do today; the golden undertones in their skin look dark grey to old black and white film.

No idea if this is relevant, but it's something interesting I noticed.

wandering

Wandering the west
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.westernwoodartist.com
Before some time in the 1930s, black-and-white film was super-sensitive to blue light and almost blind to yellow and red light. As a result, blue things look far lighter than they should in old photographs, and red and especially yellow things look much darker than expected. Blue skies are almost always washed-out white, while bright yellow things look very dark indeed.
I recall a problem with sensitivity to red and think that was also a problem with the tin types and such. Can't recall where I read it, but it was recently. Black and white paper is not as sensitive to red, hence you can use a red light in the darkroom to see what you're doing.

You can use filters in B&W photography to get a more realistic picture. For example red apples on a tree don't have a lot of contrast against the green leaves. However you can use a filter (maybe red, just don't remember).

So all in all this is another interesting aspect of the 1876 era photos that I didn't think about. Thanks for the comment !