buff coat vs swords - who wins?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Since buff coats were worn into battle for several hundred years, I know they had to be pretty decent protection on the whole. But they can't have been perfect.

So -- assuming a 17c light cavalryman wearing a cuirass and a buff coat (+ helmet, gloves & boots, of course) going up against a lot of the same, all armed with swords and (mostly already discharged) pistols -- where (aside from the head) is he most vulnerable?

I know, in the horse... Where else?

BDSEmpire

Kindly Bumpkin
Registered
Reaction score
Arms and legs are vulnerable. Body shots are great for turning a cavalryman into a smear on the ground.

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In general, the joints are the most vulnerable parts of any type of armor. Joints and borders, like say, armpits and hip joints.

Also, the neck/throat is a vulnerable spot.

Cav armed with Buffcoat & cuiruss & helmet & leather gaunlets & boots would be pretty well armored against simple swords. Now, pikes, halberds, axes, and other pole arms would be a problem.

For a cav on cav fight I'd expect a lot of slashing trying to hit the neck, head, and the arms and legs. Or trying to work a blade edge into a joint or border, say in the armpit or groin.

Don't forget that just unhorsing the enemy would be very effective. Then you can run him down.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
It really depends on the style of combat you are engaged in at the moment. IF you are standing still - more or less - exchanging blows in a melee' situation - the buffcoat is fairly decent armor against blows delivered by hand. I'd do my best at that point, to thrust for the face and throat. The point is going to be more effective.

If however, you are engaged in a charge, then the edge WILL cut through a buff coat. You have the added speed of the horse to increase the momentum of the cut.

Yes, I own a buff coat. Yes, I've trained in mounted combat.