PDA

View Full Version : I got my first bad review!

mackandblues
07-21-2012, 09:12 PM
So it's posted in amazon. The reviewer states there are numerous errors and recommends people to use this other book instead. But I used that book as a reference! And he says it's not specific to Texas, well he says he put it down after 30 pages and the first 30 pages are federal law only and the remaining 200 are Texas only. I don't mind a bad review but not when someone blatantly lies! Sorry, just need to vent.

ironmikezero
07-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Now, let it go... He's only articulating his ignorance. Someone else will no doubt read the entire book and subsequently take him to task.

Venting here is safe. Never respond to negative reviews - it's a real tar baby of a trap for the emotionally unwary.

triceretops
07-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Let it pass. I damn near jumped a reviewer who implied that I was sexist. Man, was I burning to set the record straight. Did. Not. Fall. Into that quagmire/trap. Will not.

tri

Katallina
07-22-2012, 01:21 AM
If that guy can't read a whole book he's going to have a lot of trouble with the exam. ;)

Bad reviews suck, but they are just one person's opinion. :) Good luck!

Maryn
07-22-2012, 01:47 AM
Venting's good for you. Buy you a drink? Maybe three? Now tell me all about it.

Maryn, who knows what helps

G. Applejack
07-22-2012, 03:09 AM
Just in case you haven't seen it: The do's and don't's of dealing with negitive reviews:

http://gossamerobsessions.blogspot.ca/2012/07/responding-to-negative-reviews-dos-and.html

Katallina
07-22-2012, 03:36 AM
Just in case you haven't seen it: The do's and don't's of dealing with negitive reviews:

http://gossamerobsessions.blogspot.ca/2012/07/responding-to-negative-reviews-dos-and.html
That's awesome. :D

PortableHal
07-22-2012, 03:38 AM
I don't want to sound cynical and all but is there a chance the reviewer has an ulterior motive behind the untrue words?

In other words, if they're lying about your book and suggesting people buy a different book, could they possibly have an affiliation with your competition?

fadeaccompli
07-22-2012, 08:24 AM
I don't want to sound cynical and all but is there a chance the reviewer has an ulterior motive behind the untrue words?

In other words, if they're lying about your book and suggesting people buy a different book, could they possibly have an affiliation with your competition?

I think madness lies that way. Best to assume that someone skimmed and then stopped early, and wrote a review accordingly. If he says outright that he stopped after 30 pages, then he's being honest enough to point out that his issues are with things that came up in the first 30 pages. And I've certainly written plenty of reviews about books I didn't finish in which I specified where I stopped, and addressed the issues I saw in the part I read.

Trying to attribute the very first negative review of a product to some nefarious conspiracy to promote a competing one is just...a bad plan. Really.

merrihiatt
07-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Venting here is safe.

I think venting on a public forum where you have posted the name of your book could reflect negatively on you as the author. This post may or may not show up in a Google search on the first page, but it will show up on some page.

You may want to reconsider using the actual name of your book when venting.

shaldna
07-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Venting is good - but do it in private. Yell in your room, cry on your best friends shoulder. Never. Ever. respond in public.

And I'm sorry you got a bad review - they suck.

evilrooster
07-22-2012, 01:16 PM
:Hug2:

CDancourt
07-22-2012, 09:44 PM
What Merrihiat and Shaldna said. Not sure you really want the world to know that someone critized your work, but more important that you hated it. Publishing means expose oneself to others, good or bad. It comes with the fame!

Bad reviews suck, I agree, but in the end, it will balance your work, make it more "real", and all in all any publicity is good to take... So take critics and bad reviews with a grain of salt, learn from it and let it go.

Or, you can do what Preston&Child do : mock the bad reviews on your blog/website.

Good luck!

Old Hack
07-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Or, you can do what Preston&Child do : mock the bad reviews on your blog/website.

Please don't do this. It will not end well.

TroyJackson
09-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Yeah, my first book will be coming out in the next couple of months, but I have steeled myself for WHEN bad reviews come. And they will come. I mean heck, if all you see are a ton of 5 star reviews on Amazon and nothing else, who wouldn't be skeptical?

As others have mentioned, bad reviews WILL happen. It happens to even the best authors out there. Move on, as I plan to move on. The second you drag yourself into the ditch and start slinging mud back, your credibility goes into the toilet, and I doubt you can ever recover.

TylerRuddHall
10-01-2012, 11:31 PM
That's awesome! Is it weird that I'm excited for my first bad review. I think other people looking for something to read know when a review is honest or not and most books have at least one negative review. I don't think I'll feel like a real writer until I hear that someone doesn't like my book.

Also, I think it's important to keep a positive attitude, especially for writers, so don't let negativity drag you down. Turn it into something positive instead.

ZaWolf
10-03-2012, 09:08 PM
To prepare myself for bad reviews, I go onto Amazon, look up some of my favourite books, and then scroll through all the one-star reviews :)
My logic being that if those masterpieces can draw such venom, I should never take a bad review too personally.

ZaWolf
10-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Edit: Double post