Polymer Clay Jewelry

stephl

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I discovered crafting with polymer clay only a year ago, when I was searching for a new and interesting craft to learn. It's mostly a winter hobby for me, since I despise cold weather. It keeps me busy during those cold winter months here in Pa. I enjoy learning on my own, so I taught myself how to make polymer clay bracelets. I have started my own collection, and have sold a few on etsy. To be honest, I really haven't put that much effort into selling. I mostly create my pieces for fun. Have a peek. I would love feedback! Any ideas for me about new creations or how to improve upon current ones? I will not be insulted, so please tell me what you think.
il_570xN.321027456.jpg

stephl

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Another view
il_570xN.321027502.jpg

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Very nice, Stephl. Have you looked up some of the how-to books on polymer clay? Lark Books has some, and so does Fire Mountain Gems. Nan Roche has an older book called 'The New Clay', I believe - it's still a great guideline for learning new tips and tricks. There's an artist called Luann Udell who can make polymer clay look just like ivory or bone. (http://www.luannudell.com/)

I haven't played as much with polymer clay as I'd like, but it does look fascinating.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Came over from the Low Cost thread to see! Very pretty.

I don't know anything about polymer clay--how flexible is it? Do you need the chain to keep it on, or could you just make the strip of clay longer?

stephl

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
You could, but I like to attach a chain to keep it on your wrist. Polymer clay after it is baked and cured is semi-flexible but it can break if you bend it too much. Like another poster said, some people place the clay over mesh or a metal bracelet to help shape it. I don't. I don't think it is necessary.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
You've done a nice job, Stephl.

I'm curious, I heard that polymer clay is toxic and coats the oven when it is baked. Does anyone know if this is true?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
You've done a nice job, Stephl.

I'm curious, I heard that polymer clay is toxic and coats the oven when it is baked. Does anyone know if this is true?
Try this informative link: http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/cyclopedia/pc_safety_th.html

I've used it for dollhouse miniature items, and it doesn't 'coat' the oven. Cooking large pieces of meat coats the oven (in grease). And cleaning the oven with those chemical-laden cleaners, well, read the warning on those products.

AnnikaHTDC

Registered
Reaction score
Nice bracelet! I used to make polymer clay jewelry, but forced myself to stop because it was taking me away too much from my writing. It's great stuff though, so many creative possibilities.

stephl

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I have heard that also. I use a toaster oven for use only with the clay and in a well ventilated area. This the safe way of baking it.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
We've discovered the polymer clay and have been experimenting with making 'imitation stone' pendants. We've gotten a UV light for curing the gloss and are looking forward to using the PMC.

Has anyone had experience with it?