PDA

View Full Version : GOING CRAZY waiting for Beta results!

havestorytotell
07-21-2012, 04:15 AM
I live outside the US in a small ex Pat community. I am writing a memoir and due the topic I cannot discuss it here or anywhere, all names and locations changed. I am writing under a pseudonym. I found 2 Beta Readers here for my memoir that I trust (who signed an agreement not to reveal anything) BUT it has been a month now!

I plan to do a rewrite with what I might glean from the Beta’s notes plus put in my final notes and polish the manuscript. Then I plan to send it to a good pro editor (have talked to her, like her, trust her, found her on line and had a long phone conversation with her) and will go from there.

I have attended 2 writers’ conferences and there was interest when I pitched the book.

I am going LOCO waiting for these Beta’s to get back to me.

I am so tired! Can anyone tell me a polite way of sending an email to light a fire under them?

Adrianna Burch
07-21-2012, 04:28 AM
Just check in and ask them how they're doing with your book. A slight nudge is probably all you need,

profen4
07-21-2012, 06:17 AM
A nudge is a good idea, but if they don't reply, move on. Beta reading is a volunteer position, and it takes a back seat to anything that might come up in the beta readers life. You're not owed anything. If a beta falls off out of sight, find another beta and still remember to thank the first ones for their time if they ever surface. do lot nam goi cam (http://doxinh.com/danh-muc/do-lot-nam/) do boi tre em (http://doxinh.com.vn/danh-muc/do-boi/do-boi-tre-em/) thoi trang cho be cao cap (http://doxinh.vn/danh-muc/thoi-trang-tre-em/) thoi trang cong so (http://trangbanbuon.com/danh-muc/thoi-trang-cong-so/) vay lien cong so (http://trangbanbuon.vn/danh-muc/thoi-trang-cong-so/vay-lien-cong-so/) chup anh studio (http://roses.vn/studio/chup-anh-studio/)

havestorytotell
07-21-2012, 06:30 AM
Thanks! I just really needed their help! Aghhhhhhhh!

Unimportant
07-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Thanks! I just really needed their help! Aghhhhhhhh!
But that makes it your emergency, not theirs, I'm afraid.

When they agreed to beta-read for you, did you discuss with them a timeline by which they would get back to you?

meowzbark
07-21-2012, 09:08 AM
I agree with the others here. Send a quick, polite email.

As a beta, I don't mind if people send me reminders after a week or two. Sometimes life gets hectic, their email was lost in my spam folder, or I simply forgot to send out my notes - which happens way more than I want to admit.

If you don't hear anything back after sending an email, look for new Betas.

Bufty
07-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Your beta readers signed an agreement not to reveal anything?

If anyone asked me to sign anything before beta reading their manuscript I would tell them I'd changed my mind.

If you're writing under a pseudonym and all names and locations have been changed I fail to see why there is any need for secrecy at all.

Don't get paranoid about folk pinching your manuscript.

Re your potential on-line pro editor, if you wish to spend the money good luck to you. This site is massive and I hope you have spent time browsing the numerous Forums. If you contributed more and raised your post count up to the required 50 mark you could also benefit from using the Share-Your-Work Forum and at least get initial advice free, outwith google bot range and with the occasional friendly hug to boot. :Hug2:

I live outside the US in a small ex Pat community. I am writing a memoir and due the topic I cannot discuss it here or anywhere, all names and locations changed. I am writing under a pseudonym. I found 2 Beta Readers here for my memoir that I trust (who signed an agreement not to reveal anything) BUT it has been a month now!

I plan to do a rewrite with what I might glean from the Beta’s notes plus put in my final notes and polish the manuscript. Then I plan to send it to a good pro editor (have talked to her, like her, trust her, found her on line and had a long phone conversation with her) and will go from there.

I have attended 2 writers’ conferences and there was interest when I pitched the book.

I am going LOCO waiting for these Beta’s to get back to me.

I am so tired! Can anyone tell me a polite way of sending an email to light a fire under them?

Unimportant
07-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Re your potential on-line pro editor, if you wish to spend the money good luck to you.
I agree that fiction writers need to learn the craft for themselves, but for someone who doesn't intend to write more than a single memoir and whose English skills aren't top-notch, paying an editor may well be a very good choice.

(adding: It's perfectly cool to post the name of the editor and see if anyone on AW can provide feedback.)

Lehcarjt
07-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Maybe it's just me, but 1 month on a beta isn't that long. I usually take at least that amount. I do try to tell the writer that I'm slow though. Beta reading, done well, is extremely time consuming and can be a bit exhausting.

If you decide to nudge, do so very, very gently. These people are giving you a gift of their time and pushiness comes off as ungrateful.

* I also would be hesitant to read something where I had to sign a non-disclosure. It sets off alarm bells about the author to me.

havestorytotell
07-23-2012, 02:40 AM
MEMOIR BETA FOLLOW UP- One Beta finished today with complete Beta notes handing me her copy of her Beta manuscript.

2nd Beta has sent in 4 chapters and is still going.

3rd Beta (living a similar hell) is slowing getting to it, now up to Chapter 5 but not sent it back.

I trust these Betas and am still waiting. This is difficult. I want all Beta manuscripts and my new notes I have had left over before I rework my manuscript and then pass it to a pro editor.

I think I have my ducks in order. Comments?

Unimportant
07-23-2012, 03:21 AM
No offense, but it's looking very one-sided. Ducks usually include:

-- sent note of undying gratitude to beta reader

-- offered quid pro quo to crit something of the beta reader's in return

-- asked beta reader if they're okay with me including their name in the Acknowledgements section of my book

-- recognised the role of AW in facilitating these networks and made a personal committment to being an active member of AW by paying-it-forward in the "Share Your Work" critique section, answering questions in the "Seeking an Expert" section, or something similar.

buz
07-23-2012, 03:29 AM
MEMOIR BETA FOLLOW UP- One Beta finished today with complete Beta notes handing me her copy of her Beta manuscript.

2nd Beta has sent in 4 chapters and is still going.

3rd Beta (living a similar hell) is slowing getting to it, now up to Chapter 5 but not sent it back.

I trust these Betas and am still waiting. This is difficult. I want all Beta manuscripts and my new notes I have had left over before I rework my manuscript and then pass it to a pro editor.

I think I have my ducks in order. Comments?

Wait. There is a lot of waiting in the business of writing. And in life. At Disney World. At the bank. In traffic. Everywhere. Stupid overpopulation.

Become good at waiting. It seems like your betas are doing what they're supposed to. Remember that they are doing you a tremendous favor and you should respond with patience and gratitude. :D :D

Start working on your query (I'm still unsure from your posts if you're shooting for trade publishing or self-publishing or what, but if not your query, your blurb). Start working on your next book, if there is a next book. Start researching agents, if you're planning on using one, or publishers, or marketing tactics if you're going it alone, etc. If you've done all of the above, start watching Dexter. If you've already watched all of Dexter, watch every MST3K episode there is. If you've done that, make a small catapult. Make something out of clay. Eat a lot of food coloring and watch your poop change colors.

There's always something to do. On this, you need to wait. :D

havestorytotell
07-23-2012, 04:09 AM
Thanks you to all, I appreciate your input. Sometimes there are very involved reasons for having a disclosure doc signed. Remember, this is a heavy duty memoir. My Betas had no problems and rushed to sign. They know the details. I could not chance posting any writing here. I realize AW does a great job to help people get feedback on writing but some of us have to protect ourselves from outside sources involved in the manuscript. I will, of course. run the manuscript by an intellectual property attorney. By the way, my BETAS will be treated like queens, thanked and gifted as the project progresses.

I am new here and have got some very good pointers from AW and the membership.
Thank you!