Status
Not open for further replies.

Teacake

Crawling the walls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
teacake89.tumblr.com
I recently signed up for Twitter and have participated in a few #1k1hr, which basically means trying to write 1000 words in an hour, with the support of others who are also taking part.

I have noticed other writing prompts on twitter, such as #wordwar and #wordscrim. What do these mean?

If there's anybody else who uses twitter for writing, do they have suggestions for other useful hash tags? Thanks!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I love #1k1hr. I also sometimes use #500in30 when I want to do a shorter writing sprint.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you try #amwriting, you find other folks online who are writing at the same time you are.

#wordwar is a way to challenge friends or even complete strangers to see who can add the most words in a specified time. You just throw out there "Who is up for a #wordwar" and see if you get takers. Set the time and everyone goes offline to write, then comes back at the specified time to report wordcount. It's just for fun. There isn't really a winner. You all added words. You all won.

ETA: #wordscrim is a word scrimmage. Same thing really, but usually for short intense burst of writing, like 10 minute bursts.

They are all just ways to have a little fun while writing. Buddy system really can help.

Teacake

Crawling the walls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
teacake89.tumblr.com
Thanks :) I found the #1k1hr really useful, as I'm easily distracted. Am going to try out #wordwar soon, it sounds like fun!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find them really fun too. I've written several novels with #1k1hr. Funny how words every day turn into books.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I find them really fun too. I've written several novels with #1k1hr. Funny how words every day turn into books.

This x 1000. The words really add up, and writing with other people is so much fun.

Teacake

Crawling the walls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
teacake89.tumblr.com
What does it mean when people say they are starting at :30, :00 etc? I'm on UK time and new to this, so am finding it slightly tricky to understand :Hammer:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
It means they're starting at half past the hour :)30) or on the hour :)00), regardless of what time zone people are in.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
A thousand words per hour is easy enough, but what's the benefit of writing them on twitter, rather than in your own word processor?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You do write them on your own computer, James. Twitter is just a way to join up with others who are doing the same, and a way to keep track of your progress.

PulpDogg

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
I tried the #1k1hr yesterday - twice. Was great fun, and I managed over 2,800 words - most I've written in a single day in a long, long time.

Can only recommend it, great motivator.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You do write them on your own computer, James. Twitter is just a way to join up with others who are doing the same, and a way to keep track of your progress.

Okay, that makes good sense.

Teacake

Crawling the walls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
teacake89.tumblr.com
#amwriting has it's own site, with regular articles about writing and short stories. If you use the tag often it's worth adding your bio to the site.

Thanks! I'm going to check out the site now.

PulpDogg, I agree - it's great for keeping on track when you find yourself getting easily distracted. I'm in the middle of doing some revisions but once they are finished I'm going to start using it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.