Frozen hands

Nugus

Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick question: what would one call a freezer in the USA? Is it a freezer or an ice box?
It needs to be big enough to store fifteen amputated hands, so it would be a big freezer rather than the small thing you'd get at the top of your fridge.
Cheers.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
It would be called a freezer. Normally, the combination refrigerator/freezer is referred to around here as the fridge. Ice box is sometimes still used to refer to the combination unit. It's rare, though, and the term is generally used regionally or by us old folks.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I love it.

A standalone one is called a chest freezer. But a standard US top-of-fridge freezer could easily hold fifteen amputated hands. (Mine could.) Even in smaller fridge/freezer combos, you could take out the shelf for extra room.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Need to be bloody big hands to fill even the conventional freezer section of a combined unit.

Are they individually boxed or gift-wrapped? :snoopy:

Just a quick question: what would one call a freezer in the USA? Is it a freezer or an ice box?
It needs to be big enough to store fifteen amputated hands, so it would be a big freezer rather than the small thing you'd get at the top of your fridge.
Cheers.

NikkiSloan

Registered
Reaction score
I love you guys.
Finally - a place where you can ask truly bizarre questions without fear of being hauled off to the pokey for interrogation or Baker Acted.

ElectricLights

Registered
Reaction score
I call it a freezer but for the hands, I would suggest the use of a chest freezer. Like a chest/trunk/storage space at the foot of a bed. It's bigger and better suited for your use with hand storage.

Nugus

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I prefer the big chest freezer. My boy likes to keep his hands separate so he can relive his endeavours. Ladies hands need room.
Cheers.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a frozen hand? Take out a piece of month old frozen chicken from your freezer.

That's a real passion killer if ever I saw one.

And risk of frostbite, too.

oooooooh- that smarts. :snoopy:

Thanks guys. I prefer the big chest freezer. My boy likes to keep his hands separate so he can relive his endeavours. Ladies hands need room.
Cheers.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that in the midwest, a stand alone freezer is called a deep freeze. Ice box refers to the pre-electric refrigerators where an ice man would bring a block of ice to your home and put it in your ice box once a week. Once self-cooling refrigerators were invented and became popular (1920s or 1930s) they were called refrigerators or fridges. In New York they might be referred to as frigidares, the way a geletian dessert is referred to as jello (a brand name.)

Most American refrigerators have a freezer and fridge section with the freezer section on the top (cheaper) or on the bottom or on the side (more expensive).

I have a stand alone freezer in my basement to store the produce from my garden that I process and freeze.

Example:
http://www.geappliances.com/appliances/refrigerators/side-by-side-refrigerator.htm