Meeting agents at conferences

csorensen

YA Writer, Lover of Common Sense
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.csorensenwrite.com
I've got my agent list narrowed down for submission (my manuscript won't be ready until the end of the year), but some of these agents (two to be exact) I will see in person at conferences coming up over the next couple of months, before I query them.

I plan on going to their sessions at the conferences and hopefully getting a handshake and introducing myself...other than that is there really anything I can do without being pushy/unprofessional?

And if I do get a handshake/chance to introduce myself, then is that appropriate to put in my query letter, "we met at the so-so conference"?

I just want to take full advantage of any networking or chance to get my name out there that I can. Thanks for the feedback!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
And if I do get a handshake/chance to introduce myself, then is that appropriate to put in my query letter, "we met at the so-so conference"?

I wouldn't necessarily call a simple introduction meeting, but you should most certainly mention that you attended the sessions. If the hand shake leads to an actual conversation, you can say you met. Consider how many hands they will shake over the course of the conference.

Try to ask a specific question when you shake hands so you can have that conversation, but keep in mind that the agent may have another session to rush to. You don't want to be the person who makes them late. I once offered to walk with someone. We chatted on our way through the hotel halls.

Reference the topic of your discussion in your letter to refresh their memories.

Good luck and have fun.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One way that does work: Thank them for their presentation and then in the query letter let them know you enjoyed their presentation at the conference.

Most agents I've met are at conferences partly because they are paid an honorarium (not all do) and partly to discover new business (or at least network). I wouldn't say that any consider it rude to mention the conference but would say to specifically mention a detailed conversation you may have had at lunch for example. Especially mention if they requested the query.

Some agents will accept a query or manuscript at a conference but I'd guess they are getting to be rarer now. If the conference is open to published writers it's one situation, if it's open to the public, it's another. It's funny, but I've found agents and publishers who do small regional conferences are more open to solicitation at the conference. Maybe they're the newer agents who need work or maybe they are there at the request of one of their clients and feel more comfortable with the group they present to.

Jeff

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I just looked at the FAQ for the Florida Writer's Association conference this Fall. It says that they have only invited agents/editors who are actively looking and to purchase an appointment to see the person(s) you wish.

I've never bought a consultation/review/mentoring/etc. so I can't tell you what happens in them, but the FAQ gives plenty of details on what to expect.

I won't have a work ready to pitch this year, but I may next year. :)

Jeff

csorensen

YA Writer, Lover of Common Sense
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.csorensenwrite.com
Thanks so much Weasel...makes sense what you said about the agents coming to smaller/regional conferences being more open and probably more flexible.

DeborahN

I think the best way to approach an agent, if you're pitching or not, is to complement them on some books on their list. "I just wanted to tell you how much I loved X." It should be a relatively recent book and you must actually read it. Be friendly, conversational, and they will respond. Let them know your MS isn't ready yet but mention the title and let them know you'll be querying at the end of the year, then, in the reference bar of the query, write something like "Query for X, met you at Y conference last September." In the first line of the query remind them of the conversation and the author you liked then jump right in with title & word count.

Nothing guarantees and good response but that will usually at least get them to read past the first line. Good Luck!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I should have suggested this sooner: Do some web research on the participants. This way, you have enough info to ask a good question or mention a book or author they work with. All people like to know you are interested in them, not just what they can do for you.

If you can request a session with your editor/agent of choice, do so. Your writing will benefit whether or not you make a sale and you'll have that connection.

rac

Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I just looked at the FAQ for the Florida Writer's Association conference this Fall. It says that they have only invited agents/editors who are actively looking and to purchase an appointment to see the person(s) you wish.

Jeff

Purchase appointments to pitch agents and editors? This sounds like pure commercial enterprise. Established agents and editors have writers querying them all the time, and if they're honestly looking for material they can get the word out on the internet.

Do the math on this: they're charging $40 for a 10 minute pitch. If they do 5 pitches an hour, that's $200. The agents keep a percentage and the the conference keeps a percentage. It's easy money. It would be interesting to know what the split is.