Carry permit

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Would a retired Lieutenant of Detectives, medium-sized city, need to apply for a carry permit as a citizen, or is that one of the perks of retiring from a distinguished career?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's going to vary by state. Here in Tennessee a retired police officer doesn't have to pass a range qualification or pay the application fee for a carry permit (CCW). They basically just have to ask for one.

tangelo

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
My parents (both retired detectives) do not need any permits to continue carrying their firearms, and in fact I'm pretty sure they are both granted concealment as well (California) for life.

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This depends on the state. Here's the fee schedule for a Texas Concealed Handgun License (PDF alert). Texas peace officers, active or honorably retired, pay $25--same for retired federal officers.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In Florida, police officers need a concealed carry permit for personal weapons, even if they are currently badged officers. But they don't have to pass the qualifications tests. After retirement, they need the same permit. But anyone in the state can qualify for the permit with a background check, written test and range test.

As for concealment, all officers, current or retired, can request concealment. Phone is unlisted, driver's license lists the police station address, etc.

Jeff

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Al, I think your MC (retired in good standing) would not need a concealed carry permit pursuant to US federal law, 18USC926b, the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

Some retirees opt to get state permits as well, but under the federal law it's not a requirement.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some retirees opt to get state permits as well, but under the federal law it's not a requirement.
It doesn't actually work that way, at least in states I'm familiar with. The key to that law is that you have to provide proof of testing/certification as well as proof of retirement from a legitimate LEO position. In the states I know of, that proof of testing/certification is the permit.

In Florida, retired police officers and military personnel are exempt from the testing requirements to get the permit. In fact, we honor all retired officers and military from any state since we also have a non-resident concealed carry permit. :)

And no, a Florida permit doesn't allow you to carry concealed in a state we don't have reciprocity with.

Jeff

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't actually work that way, at least in states I'm familiar with. The key to that law is that you have to provide proof of testing/certification as well as proof of retirement from a legitimate LEO position. In the states I know of, that proof of testing/certification is the permit.
Basically, yes... but for those not in LE who may not understand, it means carrying retired credentials (badge/ID as issued by the agency from which the individual retired) and some form of proof of current firearms qualification.

While some may consider the above as equivalent to a permit, technically it is not one. The language of 18USC926b rather specific. The federal law supersedes state law.