Gunshot wound question

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you be more specific?

What am I shot with? A pistol? A rifle? A shotgun? What range? How old am I? Am I fat or thin? Healthy?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Shot on the battlefield in WWI, pretty close range. Twenty years old, healthy. I just need it to end up being a lasting injury that wouldn't heal properly and would plague him the rest of his life.

espresso5

Registered
Reaction score
If by hipbone you mean ilium, the rifle and machine gun cartridges of WWI would easily penetrate the bone at close range.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shot on the battlefield in WWI, pretty close range. Twenty years old, healthy. I just need it to end up being a lasting injury that wouldn't heal properly and would plague him the rest of his life.

Knee might be better, but he'd limp or even be unable to walk. Depending on what he's shot with, he could easily break a hip. No hip replacements in the early 20th century. Infection was a major battlefield issue then as well.

Of course, if you don't need to be too detailed, a "war injury" causing issues is easily believable.

Jeff

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Think they used the springfield 30-06 on the good guy side, and the Germans used an equivalent caliber. Such high powered rifles will definitely shatter a hip bone. See it happen on shoulder blades.