• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

65k Fantasy novel--plotlines etc beta reader needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen144

Registered
Reaction score
I'd really love a beta reader for my WIP that I've finished the first draft of.
It is 65k words, a fantasy novel.

I'm really looking for critique on the plot line, inconsistencies...and any ideas for how it will end, where you see or want to see the plot going (there are a number of scenes I do not know if I should put in--it will require re-arranging of the rest of the book--and some arcs and subplots I'm not sure what to do with). Not line-by-line unless something really sticks out, and I don't need proofreading for grammar or spelling. Just the overall plots.

Apologies if there is some reason (like post count?) that I would not be allowed to request a beta.

Thanks! Very much looking forward to replies.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
:) You can request a beta. But you'd get more takers if you had a first chapter or even scene up on your blog or somewhere that people could see if they liked your style or thought they could help.

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net
You might also get a better response if you altered your subject line. A beta reads your final product. You want a writing buddy to help you en route. :)

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Another suggestion if you simply want a critique of the plot - write the synopsis and post in Share Your Work. You need 50 posts to do that, but if you're seeking trade publishing, you'll have to write a synopsis at some point. Might as well be now.

As has been said, betas typically look at the final (or near final) draft. The reasoning is that you want them to find the mistakes you couldn't catch on your own. Catching plot holes or choosing the direction of your plot is something you really should do on your own first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.