PDA

View Full Version : How To Not Promote Your Editing Services

jenni1607
07-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Hi there,

I have over ten years' experience as a professional editor and proofreader. My rates are very reasonable and you don't pay until you are completely satisfied with my work.

I aim to provide a professional service for people that have a small budget.

For a quote, please send a sample page of your work, a total word count and a deadline to [email address deleted by mod]

I am willing to do a sample edit free of charge.

Jennifer Nolan
[link deleted by moderator]
[email address deleted by mod]

Old Hack
07-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Jenni, I've edited your post to delete your email address because if you leave it up online like that you're going to get deluged with spam. If anyone wants to contact you they can send you a PM.

It's not on for you to tout your own services here like that. By all means link to your website in your signature: but please don't try to use AW as a sales tool. You've hardly participated in the community, and it's not appreciated. You're welcome to start a single thread in Announcements And Self Promotion if you'd like, but nowhere else. Thank you.

jenni1607
07-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Ah... I am very sorry about that, I now know for the future. I found that comment a little harsh. I'm new here and still learning.

Old Hack
07-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Jenni, I strongly suggest you read the Newbie Guide (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315), which I think you will have already been directed towards in the email you received when you signed up. It'll help you find your way round AW, which is a big place and can seem intimidating. I think it includes information about when self promotion is and isn't acceptable, but it's been a while since I read it so I can't be sure.

A word of advice: if you're going to write posts advertising your services here you might like to ensure that they're error-free. I wouldn't employ an editor who broke basic rules of grammar, and I suspect that many of our other members feel the same.

jenni1607
07-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Old Hack, I don't know why you think you can speak to people this way. I have read a lot of your other comments on this forum, and you are consistently rude. I wasn't using this forum as a sales tool. I have enough clients, thank you. I was responding to a comment left by another member asking for details of editors.
Just because you are a moderator, it doesn't give you the right to speak to people that way. It in fact, makes you look unprofessional and angry.

Roger J Carlson
07-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Just because you are a moderator, it doesn't give you the right to speak to people that way. It in fact, makes you look unprofessional and angry.Well, actually...

Being a moderator *does* give her that right. That's kind of what being a moderator is, particularly when she is the moderator of this forum. If you have a problem with a moderator, you'd be best advised to contact Macallister, the board owner, instead of responding in-thread. That is looked upon very poorly here.

Stacia Kane
07-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Old Hack, I don't know why you think you can speak to people this way. I have read a lot of your other comments on this forum, and you are consistently rude. I wasn't using this forum as a sales tool. I have enough clients, thank you. I was responding to a comment left by another member asking for details of editors.
Just because you are a moderator, it doesn't give you the right to speak to people that way. It in fact, makes you look unprofessional and angry.

If you feel a member is being rude--even a moderator--please use the "Report Post" button in the lower left corner (the triangle with the arrow inside). This is mentioned in the Newbie Guide. You can report rude or abusive posts; you can report spam posts; you can also report PMs you feel are rude, abusive, or spammy. So if someone is abusing you or being rude to you (or others) or contacting you unsolicited to push their wares--all of which are against forum policy--you can make an Admin aware of such behavior. It's a very helpful tool, and we encourage members to use it.

We want you to feel welcome here. No one is trying to be rude to you. The link to the Newbie Guide is a standard link given to most new members, both in the Welcome message and generally within your first few posts here. Please keep in mind that it's not always easy to read tone online, and that when we feel perhaps a little embarrassed or are trying to be careful with our words or whatever else, sometimes we may read things that aren't quite there. We may interpret things from people we don't know as perhaps being a bit stronger than they intend, as well, or whatever.

Please visit other areas of the forum--not because you're not free to read and/or participate only where you want, but because you'll see it's a big place with lots of different viewpoints, but that we do take Respect Your Fellow Writer (also known as RYFW or The One Rule) very seriously, and strive to make this a pleasant place for everyone. Get to know us a little better! :)

I hope to see you around. :welcome:

G. Applejack
07-13-2012, 05:22 PM
I wasn't using this forum as a sales tool. I have enough clients, thank you. I was responding to a comment left by another member asking for details of editors.

Calling shenanigans.

You in fact PM'ed me with your sales pitch, completely unsolicited because I certainly did not indicate I was looking for an editor on this thread.

jenni1607
07-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Being a moderator certainly does not give anyone the right to be rude and upset people. I'm past caring now. Good bye.

James D. Macdonald
07-13-2012, 05:49 PM
A flounce! A palpable flounce! Alas, I can only award it a 1.8.

Next time read the Flouncing FAQ (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61043)

http://www.sff.net/people/yog/golden_flounce.jpg

mccardey
07-13-2012, 05:53 PM
A flounce! A palpable flounce! Alas, I can only award it a 1.8.

Next time read the Flouncing FAQ (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61043)

http://www.sff.net/people/yog/golden_flounce.jpg

Well, but you don't know it was a flounce. She might have just left this thread. (On your head be it, Old Hack!!!) But really, she might have just not read the Newbie FAQ about no soliciting.

I'm beginning to think all mods should have the FAQs tattooed across their foreheads. All the FAQs. Medi? Mac? Hack? Anyone got an opinion on that?

Maryn
07-13-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm beginning to think all mods should have the FAQs tattooed across their foreheads. All the FAQs. Medi? Mac? Hack? Anyone got an opinion on that?It's going to interfere with my bindi. Maybe we use it to hide the juicy parts?

mccardey
07-13-2012, 05:59 PM
It's going to interfere with my bindi. Maybe we use it to hide the juicy parts?

Yeah, I'm reconsidering, because there is a HUGE amount of FAQqing to do, tattoo-wise...

ETA: *blush* That sounds so rude.

jenni1607
07-13-2012, 06:50 PM
I don't understand how you all think that treating someone like this is acceptable. You think that phrasing something nicely disguises the bullying. And that's what this is - BULLYING! I've seen Old Hack do a lot of it over the years on various forums and blogs, and it is going to bite her in the a*s one day. When you add all of the comments up, it paints a very clear picture of a bully.
One word: KARMA

James D. Macdonald
07-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Much better. 6.3.

jenni1607
07-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Much better. 6.3.

Proves my point exactly. Thank you.

G. Applejack
07-13-2012, 07:01 PM
I don't understand how you all think that treating someone like this is acceptable. You think that phrasing something nicely disguises the bullying. And that's what this is - BULLYING! I've seen Old Hack do a lot of it over the years on various forums and blogs, and it is going to bite her in the a*s one day. When you add all of the comments up, it paints a very clear picture of a bully.

Could you answer why you thought it was okay to pm me with a sales pitch, advertising your editing services? I've never spoken to you or indicated I was in need of an editor. As far as I see it, you are a spammer and not a good one at that.

mccardey
07-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Jenni, I've edited your post to delete your email address because if you leave it up online like that you're going to get deluged with spam. If anyone wants to contact you they can send you a PM.

It's not on for you to tout your own services here like that. By all means link to your website in your signature: but please don't try to use AW as a sales tool. You've hardly participated in the community, and it's not appreciated. You're welcome to start a single thread in Announcements And Self Promotion if you'd like, but nowhere else. Thank you.

But that's not bullying, is it? Old Hack is a mod and part of that means pointing out nicely when people have misread or not read the way things are meant to work. I don't see bullying here. There's a place for promotional posts, and Hack pointed it out, and pointed out, too, all the acceptable options. That's all. (Deleting your email address is standard on forums, because posting it will get you SWAMPED with botmail.)

Stick around. It's a nice place. I think you've misread the intent. :)

Soccer Mom
07-13-2012, 07:11 PM

So...people here are bullies because they nicely asked you not to do something? But nice bullies. Well, I guess that's better than mean bullies, right?

Stacia Kane
07-13-2012, 07:18 PM
I'd certainly like to know what exactly was bullying about my post?

That's not sarcasm. I'd genuinely like to know, as my intent was to be kind and welcoming. What exactly did you see in my post that felt like "bullying disguised with nice words," (to paraphrase)?

cray
07-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Could you answer why you thought it was okay to pm me with a sales pitch, advertising your editing services? I've never spoken to you or indicated I was in need of an editor. As far as I see it, you are a spammer and not a good one at that.

are you going to address the above post, jenni?

jenni1607
07-13-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't think I did misread the intent. I accept that my post could be seen by some as spam, and I apologised for that. I completely own up to the fact that I was wrong, however it was unintentional. It's the way it was said. I don't like being talked down to and I don't think I was wrong to point it out. Someone said 'it was frowned upon' taking something up with a mod. Well, I'm sorry but if someone speaks that way to me, I'm going to stick up for myself - FREE SPEECH.
I was having a lovely time working my way around the forum, and this just left me cold and upset. I don't want to be part of this community, and that's because of one person. I'm not the only person to be spoken to like this by Old Hack, and I'm not the only person that walked away from this forum feeling cold due to Old Hack.

G.Collins, I apologise for the message. I haven't got a clue why I sent it. I didn't know I had until looking in my Sent folder just now. My only idea is that I clicked on your name by accident instead of someone else's. I was asked by someone to give some details about my editing services. If that someone would like to speak up to help me out, I'd appreciate it.

However, I think it's best I left. Could someone tell me how to delete my account please? I can't figure it out.

cray
07-13-2012, 07:24 PM
I don't think I did misread the intent. I accept that my post could be seen by some as spam, and I apologised for that. I completely own up to the fact that I was wrong, however it was unintentional. It's the way it was said. I don't like being talked down to and I don't think I was wrong to point it out. Someone said 'it was frowned upon' taking something up with a mod. Well, I'm sorry but if someone speaks that way to me, I'm going to stick up for myself - FREE SPEECH.
I was having a lovely time working my way around the forum, and this just left me cold and upset. I don't want to be part of this community, and that's because of one person. I'm not the only person to be spoken to like this by Old Hack, and I'm not the only person that walked away from this forum feeling cold due to Old Hack.

G.Collins, I apologise for the message. I haven't got a clue why I sent it. I didn't know I had until looking in my Sent folder just now. My only idea is that I clicked on your name by accident instead of someone else's. I was asked by someone to give some details about my editing services. If that someone would like to speak up to help me out, I'd appreciate it.

However, I think it's best I left. Could someone tell me how to delete my account please? I can't figure it out.

you can't delete your account and the bolding part above is really very hard to believe.

come on.

jenni1607
07-13-2012, 07:28 PM
I don't care what you believe!

evilrooster
07-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Old Hack, I don't know why you think you can speak to people this way. I have read a lot of your other comments on this forum, and you are consistently rude. I wasn't using this forum as a sales tool. I have enough clients, thank you.

You know what's rude? Lying is rude.

Hello everyone,

I'm a full time writer, editor and proofreader. I'm currently writing my third book and studying for a degree in humanities.
I blog at http://abstractblueberrysky.blogspot.com about being a writer, a mum and everything in between.
You can contact me via my business website or email regarding editing or proofreading. I'm taking on new clients this month.

Jen.
http://jennifer-nolan.blogspot.co.uk/p/copy-editing-proofreading.html

The manner of your complaints about how Old Hack exerted her authority, both to save you from spamming (irony!) and to ask you to read and follow the rules of the forum, are not making you look good. They're making her look prescient.

Also, before you go down the FREE SPEECH road, you might check whether this forum is a government agency or a privately owned server on which you are a guest. You might also want to ask yourself whether, if you still feel you are entitled to FREE SPEECH, Old Hack is somehow exempt from that entitlement.

I know it's disheartening to be caught so badly in the wrong. You can still salvage the situation with a genuine change of heart and a real apology, one that doesn't shoot any messengers or pretend that you were secretly right somewhere. I've seen people come back from worse.

jenni1607
07-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Just leave me alone! I want my account deleted NOW!

AW Admin
07-13-2012, 07:40 PM

You don't have the right to troll our members, or use PM spam to pimp your less than professional services, or harass our mods.

You'll be leaving now.

jenni1607
07-13-2012, 07:40 PM
If you enjoy reducing a grown woman to tears, then your day's work is done. My one mistake was joining this horrible community (with the exception of a few).
I don't ever lie. What makes you think you know anything about me?!
I'm devastated that grown adults can be so mean.

Medievalist
07-13-2012, 07:59 PM
If you enjoy reducing a grown woman to tears, then your day's work is done. My one mistake was joining this horrible community (with the exception of a few).
I don't ever lie. What makes you think you know anything about me?!
I'm devastated that grown adults can be so mean.

Oh get off it.

I can't read your PMs and have no desire to, but I can tell you sent exactly the same PM to several members, and I have an error report indicating that you attempted to fit more member names into the PM form than it's set to support (because we limit it to protect our members from spam).

You've PM spammed members, and no, it wasn't an accident.

You've abused our mods, and Web-stalked them to leave nasty comments, and yes, it's you, I've got not only an IP match, I've got an OS and platform match, and you keep making the same punctuation mistakes, doing things to English that are just plain wrong.

You're clearly not going to fit into a community when you're only here to sell your services. That's called exploitation, and it's not ok.

Old Hack
07-13-2012, 08:33 PM
I can't leave this room alone for five minutes without things going to pot.

I've split this thread from the Editor Question thread (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248569) and see no point in reopening it. Thanks, all, for the entertainment.

James D. Macdonald
07-14-2012, 05:32 AM
Proves my point exactly. Thank you.

BINGO!