Perks' first car wreck and now I have a question

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So, the day before yesterday, my car got T-boned while I was turning into a doctor's office. My first real car accident. Everyone's fine, more or less. The accident was not my fault and the other driver was cited for failure to yield the right of way.

The crazy part is the guy who hit me. Specifically, his birthday. Dude was born in June ---- of 1914. Yep. That's right. My nemesis-on-wheels was potty trained when my grandmother was born. The guy was learning to read when WWI started. (ETA: Nope. I was thinking 1918, but that's when the war ended.) He's twenty-three months from being 100 years old.

Anyway, my question for the drivers among you who have been in accidents is this: my insurance says I can go through them, get the repair in the works, pay my deductible, and then they'll get it all from the other guy's insurance and pay me back, or I can just go all through his insurance.

I can't seem to tell if there's an advantage one way or the other. I mean, not a monetary advantage - I just want my car fixed and as quickly as possible.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how is works with insurance in Americaland, but I'm glad nobody was hurt!

Maybe if they take that guy's car away he'll live to celebrate his 100th birthday!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with cray. I don't know if you insurance would increase because of the accident--even though it wasn't your fault. Plus, with the other driver's age, that might trigger "something" that maybe this man shouldn't be driving anymore.

I'm just glad you and he are okay. Best of luck.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Definitely go through his insurance since it's his fault. You shouldn't even be paying the deductible, from what I remember. My son was rear-ended (she was going 40 mph and he was stopped) and the other party's insurance covered the entire $9,000 bill. I didn't pay a dime. As for repairs, it doesn't matter who pays when it comes to whether it's quicker or not. His insurance claim adjuster will get out there as fast as yours would and pay the repair shop.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad everyone is okay

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad you all are OK, Perks :)

I met a lady at a family reunion who was getting her driver's license at 99! She was crazy healthy and sharp and youthful. I pinned her down and took notes :D She was the life of the party, seriously.

That said, maybe that dude doesn't need to be driving at 100 :) Your accident may have saved his life!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What does T-boned mean? I've never heard that before.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
What does T-boned mean? I've never heard that before.

It means the front of his car smashed into the side of hers, forming a T shape (as opposed to hitting from behind or sideswiping or hitting head on.)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're okay, Perks :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, deal with the other driver's insurance, not yours. Also, be sure to tell them you'll need a rental car, at their expense, during the time yours is being repaired. They won't offer one unless you ask for it.

If the damage is heavy enough, especially if the frame has been compromised beyond repair, the car will end up being declared a total loss.

One other thing: Keep detailed, written records of all your dealings with the insurance company until the case is resolved; and stay on their ass so you don't get placed at the back of the line with claimants who don't seem to mind waiting an eternity to get relief that should be dispensed in a timely manner.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, the claims adjuster hasn't called me back yet. I'll get after him again on Monday, because that's not going to fly.

It's not great that I'm in the middle of a house-move this coming week. Grrrr.

And the car's not a total loss, thank goodness. I love this car. It's just the driver's door and the quarter panel adjacent. *sigh*