1968 era aircraft

Ses

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevebargdill.com
I'm looking for a civilian (commercial) aircraft that was used to take troops to Viet Nam from Alaska. Landed frequently in Camh Ranh Bay and was able to carry at least 40 passengers.

Flight attendants were not unusual on these flights either. Specifically, I need to know what the bathroom looked like--size, dimension...

I believe the main civilian contractor, by the way, was World Airways. I think they used Boeing 707s....not sure.

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In 1963 we were on a World Airways charter from Travis AFB to Tachikawa AFB by way of Elmendorf AFB in Alaska. It was a typical commercial airliner. In 1965 we were on another one from Tachikawa to Travis by way of Honolulu. My recollection is that they were configured just like any commercial flight. I don't remember those specific bathrooms, but on any airliner I have ever been on they are small. Small. I'm thinking maybe 4'X4'.

MM

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a civilian (commercial) aircraft that was used to take troops to Viet Nam from Alaska. Landed frequently in Camh Ranh Bay and was able to carry at least 40 passengers.

I was flown on July 4, 1969, from Ft. Lewis, Washington to Cam Ranh Bay in a chartered commercial airliner, which may have been a 707 (I don't remember the specific plane). It was filled with Army troops just like me. Standard passenger plane.

caw

Ses

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevebargdill.com
Thank you everyone for your help on this. I'm also trying to verify whether the flight crew on these flights were allowed to come off the plane in Camh Ranh Bay.

Did the air base have a chaplain? I would think so. But I can't seem to really find any information on that...

The flight thread link, btw, was excellent.