Book Pirate gets called out

Status
Not open for further replies.

frolzagain

Registered
Reaction score
I think it might make some book pirates hesitate if they are worried about being discovered, however I don't like the mob mentality. It's a bit like cyber bullying, which is good for no one, in my opinion.

Icedevimon

Queen of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.palaceofroleplay.sp-website.net
Publishing the person's name, maybe. I think publishing a photo goes a bit too far.

"piracy does nothing to promote the sale of books – it is the free distribution of content at no cost to the reader with no incentive to later re-purchase"

Libraries.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yeah, but the library PURCHASED the book. The author was paid for the book. If you buy a book and lend it to your friends, you still made the initial purchase. No problem with lending.

Pirates just steal it and the author gets nothing.

Ryan651

Bobbing along in some sea
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but the library PURCHASED the book. The author was paid for the book. If you buy a book and lend it to your friends, you still made the initial purchase. No problem with lending.

I agree, they seem to have this view that what they are doing is not wrong. I think a lot hide behind a 'stick it to the man' mentality to justify what is in practicably, robbing a person of their livelihood.

That being said theft and copyright infringement are two separate crimes and should not be conflated. One does not deserve the same punishment as the other.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net

This. 1,000 times.

Icedevimon

Queen of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Guys, I bolded a particular part of that quote for a reason. Never said the libraries didn't pay for the book. Just that readers who borrow from libraries also have no incentive to purchase the book.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, people who do this are common thieves. My local news channel "outs" thieves on a daily basis via photos and videos of perpetrators of crimes. These pirates are engaging in illegal behavior by stealing copyrighted material. Not distasteful behavior. Not socially unacceptable behavior. ILLEGAL BEHAVIOR.

If they don't want to be outed for the common criminals they are, they shouldn't commit the crime.

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Guys, I bolded a particular part of that quote for a reason. Never said the libraries didn't pay for the book. Just that readers who borrow from libraries also have no incentive to purchase the book.

I disagree. I've purchased many a book because there were too many holds at the library, and I didn't want to wait 6 months to read it.

Piracy and libraries = apples and oranges.

Icedevimon

Queen of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't have much income, and even less disposable income, so I read at libraries because I can't afford to buy a lot of books. There's only a few that stuck with me strongly enough that I'd like to buy some day, namely Bait and Gemini Bites.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I may be the exception, but I've tried out several books at the library and then went and bought copies for myself.

Weirdo. ;)

I've not done this, but I have discovered new authors thanks to the library, and gone on to buy their books. Alan Furst, for example. First one from the library, bought every single one since.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Mark: :tongue

The ones that come to mind right away are:
Tracy Groot (who's now a friend)
The manga series Saiyuki and Saiyuki Reload
and that terrific antho Shadows Over Baker Street

PulpDogg

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Do we really need another "is piracy stealing or not" debate?

Besides - in the "authors shouldn't tell people how to review their books" thread we pile on a blogger who publishes personal information about a rewiewer. Now that Terry Goodkind is doing it, it is suddenly ok? Seems kind of a double standard.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I may be the exception, but I've tried out several books at the library and then went and bought copies for myself.
Likewise, I have downloaded free e-books (legally) and ended up buying them (and their sequels) later.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score

Besides - in the "authors shouldn't tell people how to review their books" thread we pile on a blogger who publishes personal information about a rewiewer. Now that Terry Goodkind is doing it, it is suddenly ok? Seems kind of a double standard.

No, it's not a double standard. Over on the other thread they're talking about behavior that is considered bullying. It's ugly, but it's not illegal. Piracy IS illegal, so two completely different issues. Terry Goodkind is not piling on someone who said something mean about him. He's piling on someone who STOLE from him.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score

I thought about this too. I think it's a bad move on Goodkind's part. It may negatively impact his image which may lose him sales.

PulpDogg

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's not a double standard. Over on the other thread they're talking about behavior that is considered bullying. It's ugly, but it's not illegal. Piracy IS illegal, so two completely different issues. Terry Goodkind is not piling on someone who said something mean about him. He's piling on someone who STOLE from him.

Stealing / not stealing aside - Would you do the same to someone who went and stole an apple from the local shop? Hang his foto everywhere? Publish his details? Let an angry mob go after him?

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score

I dunno - after all the self publishing clashes, a rousing semantics-of-piracy debate sounds like the return of an old friend.

Classic rock, AW style.

A good prologue thread would be the icing on the cake.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Stealing / not stealing aside - Would you do the same to someone who went and stole an apple from the local shop? Hang his foto everywhere? Publish his details? Let an angry mob go after him?

A lot of stores DO post photos of people who steal from them.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score

Comparing a novel to an apple is insulting to the author. A better comparison might be:

Would a local news station run a story on someone if they stole a $50,000 painting from a local art gallery? Just happened where I live and the reporter filmed from the perpetrators front yard. I'd say that pretty much exposed his personal info to the entire community.

Status
Not open for further replies.