PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Equipment/Padding

Captcha
07-12-2012, 06:21 PM
I have a character who coaches little kids playing hockey. I want to show that he's patient and conscientious.

I was hoping to have him helping the kids get their equipment on. I know parents usually help with this, but he's a counselor at a camp, so no parents around. I want him to be giving the kids the chance to dress themselves, then giving them hints as needed.

So I was thinking about an exchange along the lines of:

"Hey, Chris. You ready to go? you sure?"

"I'm ready."

"Does your <equipment X> feel comfortable?"

"Yes."

"You're sure? It doesn't feel a little... upside down?"

Or something along those lines. So what I'm hoping you guys can tell me is what equipment a beginning hockey player would most likely have trouble with, and what the nature of that trouble might be.

So, <equipment X> upside down, or <equipment Y> way too tight, or...?

NinaK
07-12-2012, 07:56 PM
For youth hockey, a child would need - Hockey helmet with face shield and mask, mouth guard, elbow pads, hockey gloves, hockey pants, shin guards, athletic supporter, ice hockey skates, hockey stick, shoulder pads and hockey socks. Goalies require even more equipment.

A few things that may work:

There is a right and left elbow pad, so they can be on the wrong arm.

The helmet has a chin strap they could forget to fasten it or possibly it is too loose.

Mouth guards are usually attached to the helmet cage via a small cord. If it is not attached the child could forget his/her mouth guard.

Skate laces should be pulled tight in the eyelets that are located towards the top of the skate, in the ankle area.

Shin guards are usually attached with Velcro straps, they can be too loose.

You can do a google search for youth hockey equipment. Most of the large seller sites have a ton of options with good pictures. By viewing the pics you could get a feel for the equipment.

Undercover
07-12-2012, 08:07 PM
My son played hockey all through grade school and high school. The first thing that jumped out to me wasn't the equipment, but the skates. It's not unusual to need help with tightening the skates even for older kids. I would have him help lacing and tightening the skates more than anything.

Captcha
07-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Good tips, guys, thanks!

NinaK, I do know what the basic equipment is, but I've only seen it used by adults, not little kids, so I wasn't sure which parts would seem most confusing. But those are good ideas you came up with. I can use 'em.

And Undercover, the skates are a good idea too - I remember the tightening issues from when I was a kid, but I sort of assumed that would have been fixed by now, you know? It's been a problem for that long and we STILL haven't solved it?!?

shaldna
07-14-2012, 11:56 AM
I read this an immediately though of hockey as we play it here - I think they call it feild hockey in the US (we don't have padding, helmets etc, just shin guards and, if you're real sensitive, a mouth guard) so just bear in mind that terminology varies, and on a multi-cultural board it's best if you are specific - you'll get more accurate, helpful responses that way.

Captcha
07-14-2012, 03:16 PM
I read this an immediately though of hockey as we play it here - I think they call it feild hockey in the US (we don't have padding, helmets etc, just shin guards and, if you're real sensitive, a mouth guard) so just bear in mind that terminology varies, and on a multi-cultural board it's best if you are specific - you'll get more accurate, helpful responses that way.

Huh. I had no idea!

Clarification: ICE hockey, please!

mackandblues
07-20-2012, 04:25 AM
Nothing in ice hockey can really be put on upside down without alot of effort. some things I can think of, jersey on backwards, shoulderpads on backwards, pants on backwards, socks which go over the shin guards are falling down, skates not tight enough, and could always forget a piece of equipment. The order it goes on is cup for guys and pelvic protector for girls, shinpads, socks, garter belt, pants, skates, shoulder pads, elbow pads, jersey, neckguard, helmet with mouthguard, gloves.