PDA

View Full Version : How Long to Hand Forge an Axe?

ClarifiedChaos
07-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Dang snags in my story!

Does anyone have an idea of approximately how long it would take for two people to hand forge an axe? It's not a big part of the story, but still, I don't want to say they've completed fifty axes in ten hours if they could have only finished two.

Thank you!
-Rachael

alleycat
07-12-2012, 12:24 PM
I can't answer your question, but there are videos on YouTube of blacksmiths making axes and tools of various sorts as it was done in certain periods of time. You might be able to get an estimate.

A pure guess would be an hour if the two are blacksmiths and work in a fully equipped shop (and assuming they have to hammer the blank by hand rather than using a "hammering machine").

Trebor1415
07-12-2012, 12:27 PM
No idea. Post your question in the big "firearms thread" as Mike Williamston there is a bladesmith and he'll likely know.

You may need to narrow it down a bit as to what type of ax and what tech level.

ClarifiedChaos
07-12-2012, 12:52 PM
I can't answer your question, but there are videos on YouTube of blacksmiths making axes and tools of various sorts as it was done in certain periods of time. You might be able to get an estimate.

A pure guess would be an hour if the two are blacksmiths and work in a fully equipped shop (and assuming they have to hammer the blank by hand rather than using a "hammering machine").

Post your question in the big "firearms thread" as Mike Williamston there is a bladesmith and he'll likely know.

Thank you both! I will do both of these. You can never have to many opinions. :yessmiley

jclarkdawe
07-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Too many variables before this can be answered. You could be starting with a slab of steel or with a cast ax head. You can run the handle through the head, or attach the head to the side of the shaft, or run the head around the shaft and either weld or cold form the seal. Whether you're cold working this or have a hot forge makes a difference. What grade of steel or iron makes a difference.

Fifty pre-cast ax heads where most of the work is fitting to the shaft and putting a good edge of the ax is easily done in a day.

A large shop where you can keep a lot of heads in the forge at the same time and you could probably do ten a day. But starting from an unshaped piece of steel and a small forge and you might sink a day into making one head.

Yet the more you are making at the same time, the more work saving techniques you can use. And the more areas you can use the village idiot to provide the work. For example, a lot of the hammering isn't very skilled (some of it is very skilled, it depends upon where you are in the process).

What are these going to be used for? Weapons don't need to be the same quality as something that is going to be used for years or even decades.

And don't forget the time to make the handle.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe