First book's on subs...now what?

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My agent currently has my book out on submission, which is wonderful...but I'm not sure what I should work on for now. The book being submitted is the first in a trilogy, and I'm torn between starting the second book and working on a completely new book.

I would love to start on the second book right away, but I've heard that chances are, if an editor does pick up the book, s/he'll want to make so many changes to it that it will end up changing the second book significantly, so you might as well wait for their comments before starting the second book. Also, of course there's the chance that the first book may not get picked up by anyone (knock on wood!), in which case having a different book in the works would somewhat soften the blow...

Arrr, I'm so confuzzled! Any advice? :)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
You really need to discuss this with your agent. It's the kind of thing you're paying him or her for.

Also, the primary reason for not starting book 2 isn't because of potential changes an editor might want made to book 1; it's because book 1 might not ever sell, so writing book 2 would be a waste of time.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote the 2nd book in the series and then the 1st didn't get picked up. I didn't view it as a waste of time, at all: I learned a great deal from that book and enjoyed the heck out of writing it. But it did slow me down on my next submission. Which is fine--I'm not the impatient type--but you know you best, so you decide.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
If it were me, I would start an outline and rough ideas folder for the sequel, but start writing a completely different book. That way you have a place to gather your ideas and you won't forget anything, but you're still making forward progress on another book if that one doesn't sell.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I started writing a sequel (my current WIP) when I had the first book in the trilogy on sub. I have to say it made writing the 2nd book so much harder. Half the time I was too busy worrying what would happen if the first one didn't get picked up. Fortunately it did (phew!), but if I had to do it over again I would have worked on something else.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You'll want at least a vague outline of book 2 ready, even if you're not an outliner. Assuming the book sells, and assuming the publisher wants more than one, you'll need the outline to give your editor.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote the 2nd book in the series and then the 1st didn't get picked up. I didn't view it as a waste of time, at all: I learned a great deal from that book and enjoyed the heck out of writing it. But it did slow me down on my next submission. Which is fine--I'm not the impatient type--but you know you best, so you decide.

Ditto.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I didn't view it as a waste of time, at all: I learned a great deal from that book and enjoyed the heck out of writing it.

Yeah, 'waste of time' was not the best choice of words on my part. Writing is never a waste of time, even if it doesn't get sold.

So let me rephrase: It might not be the best use of time, although it's not a waste of time, to work on writing book 2 if book 1 hasn't sold yet.

Is that better? :)

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, everyone! I don't know why it didn't dawn on me to ask my agent (duh!). I guess I'm still not used to the fact that I have an agent...
Nevertheless, I'm glad to learn what people in my shoes have gone through!

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
When I spoke to my agent a few weeks ago about this very issue, she asked me to put together a rough outline of the next two books in the series, just in case someone is interested in offering a multi-book deal. After that, her advice was to work on something completely different.

But, as others have said, only you and your agent can make that decision. I'd talk to your agent. :)