PDA

View Full Version : Spanish/English translation: looking for spanish speaker

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
07-12-2012, 03:34 AM
I need a character to say both "Policeman" (referring to a single person) and "Police" (referring to the whole agency). Online translators want to give me the same word: policia. But how do you differenciate?

Thanks!

ETA: Also, what would be the correct way to say "Do you have a bodyguard?"

(I know, these seem like random phrases...)

AbielleRose
07-12-2012, 03:40 AM
Agente de policia is what they would call a 'police officer'.

Just saw your edit. Sorry, not sure on the bodyguard one. 4 years of High School Spanish were long ago. :)

Squirrel on a Ledge
07-13-2012, 05:04 AM
Actually, I think "policía" is generally used to refer to either the force OR an individual officer. For the organization, "la policía." For a policeman, "el policía." For a female officer, "la mujer policía."

I've never actually used the word "bodyguard," so this one I'm less sure of, but the dictionaries say "guardaespaldas." I can't confirm it, but it seems logical.

Hope this helps! My Spanish is a bit rusty (I minored in it and used to be nearly fluent, but that was several years ago). Nonetheless, if you have any other questions, I'll try my best!

TheSinisterSmiler
07-13-2012, 07:16 PM
You could say "Tienes un guardespaldas?" or "Tienes una guarura?"

maxmordon
07-18-2012, 06:26 PM
As they said above, the article is the difference. "El policía" for an individual police officer and "La policía" for the entire agency, example:

"¡Allí viene la policía, corran!"

(There come the police, run!)

"¡Allí viene el policía, corran!"

(There comes the policeman, run!)

Hilldawg
07-30-2012, 04:58 AM
My husband is from Chile and he confirms that "guardaspalda" is correct.

Hillary