PDA

View Full Version : Film recommendations for me laddo

Mr Flibble
07-11-2012, 04:15 PM
So, I mentioned in another thread that my teen son (coming up 14) loves older films. Which is great for us, because we've been slowly educating him in classic films from our youth. Bladerunner, Highlander etc etc.

But we've gone through a lot, and we need more, so I need some reccs for films I might have forgotten, or never saw. I'm not massively worried about rating (a film rated 15 or 18 twenty years ago might well get a lower rating today) more about content/themes though he's pretty advanced.

Swearing not a problem (he learned all the words at school, but knows better than to use them in front of me!) and neither are consensual sex scenes (unless they are graphic!), but again it's tone and theme that I want to watch for, though that's one thing we discuss a lot after the films.

So, has anyone got any reccs for class films for him to watch? He especially loves fantasy and SF, and films that make him think.

Calla Lily
07-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Fantasy:

The Dark Crystal

Mentally paging through DVDs at home...

Mr Flibble
07-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Damn you woman, you edited!

Yep, seen Dark Crystal, trying to get a copy of Silent Running (he's so going to cry and pretend he isn't)

alleycat
07-11-2012, 04:26 PM
This is a mixture, not just SF or fantasy.

The Haunting

To Kill a Mockingbird

Witness

Starman (I sort of watched part of this one being filmed)

The Shawshank Redemption

The Green Mile

The Shining

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (a classic 50s SF film that is goofy but watchable)

The Day the Earth Stood Still ("You earth people are too violent, therefore we're going to kill every single thing on your planet." ;"-)

The Selfish Giant (more for younger children but he might still enjoy it).

The Iron Giant (just fun)

Calla Lily
07-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Horror:

The Wicker Man (the original only)
Quatermass and the Pit (AKA Five Million Years to Earth)
War of the Worlds (the original George Pal version)
The Mummy (Karloff)
Frankenstein (Karloff/Clive)
The Thing (BW version with James Arness as the Thing--Howard Hawks was a BRILLIANT director)
Evil Dead

Swashbucklers:

The Man in the Iron Mask (Louis Hayward/Warren William version)

Noir:

Double Indemnity
Little Caesar

Drama:

Casablanca

Comedy:

A Day at the Races
A Night at the Opera
Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles

Mr Flibble
07-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Ah, yes, Shawshank was on out list of ones to watch. Nice list, I'd forgotten about a couple of those. Cheers! ETA: Lily, he's already laughed his socks off to Blazing Saddles and pretty much all the Python stuff too. Hmm, yes, maybe the Wicker Man, I have it here somewhere...

Calla Lily
07-11-2012, 04:31 PM
*notices how the definition of "classic" differs amongst us*

*moves hair dye appt up*

Sophia
07-11-2012, 04:33 PM
The SF/F stuff I can think of, you've probably got covered. :) Is he interested in black and white films? In which case, Ice Cold in Alex. In the Heat of the Night, followed by Sneakers, to see Sidney Poitier doing drama, and then understated humour. :) Steel Magnolias, if he'd be willing. :)

Cyia
07-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Clue.

Neither fantasy nor sci-fi, but hilarity at its finest.

alleycat
07-11-2012, 04:36 PM
The Count of Monte Cristo? It's almost a fantasy.

Mr Flibble
07-11-2012, 04:36 PM
yeah he doesn't mind B&W and he might actually go for Steel Magnolias.

Clue! I'd forgotten all about that!

alleycat
07-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Lost Horizons?

Calla Lily
07-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Clue! Yes!
Lost Horizon! Yes! When the ZA happens, I want Ronald Colman to show up at my door and read classic lit to me till he disintegrates.

seun
07-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Thirding (or fourthing) the vote for Clue. "Picks up the dagger...ruuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnsssssssssss down the hall..."

And:
Butch Cassidy.
Dirty Harry.
Blues Brothers.
Night of the Living Dead (obviously).

alleycat
07-11-2012, 04:44 PM
An old B&W English film that a lot of people still enjoy is Dead of Night. It's considered a classic of its type.

Calla Lily
07-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Psycho
Rear Window

Stagecoach

If he doesn't mind crying, It's a Wonderful Life

alleycat
07-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the original or the one done in the 1970s).

Village of the Damned

Children of the Corn

Children of the Rutabaga ;-")

Calla Lily
07-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Horror Hotel
Jason and the Argonauts (Ray Harryhausen FX)

alleycat
07-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Jason and the Argonauts (Ray Harryhausen FX)

I just re-watched that a few weeks ago! Most of it is on YouTube except some parts have been removed for copyright violation (but not other parts for some reason).

Mr Flibble
07-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Funny, my son has watched both versions of Clash of the Titans. Guess which he prefers? Harryhausen ftw!

Calla Lily
07-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Harryhausen is a genius.

seun
07-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Some of the Hammers? The Dracula series to start with.

Mr Flibble
07-11-2012, 05:05 PM
He's watched Dracula I think (I distinctly remember the comment of OMG Dracula is Saruman! :D)

Shadow_Ferret
07-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Someone mentioned "The Thing" from the 1950s, which I think is just a fine all-around film. Great acting, great direction. I love it's realism where people talk over each other, like happens in real life.

Other great 50s sci-Fi:
"Them!" Best of the giant bug movies. Like "The Thing" it has marvelous acting in it.
"Forbidden Planet" First appearance of Robbie the Robot. And it has a young Anne Francis who always got my teen heart racing.
"Creature from the Black Lagoon" The last great Universal monster.
"The Day the Earth Stood Still" the original, not the new one. Not action packed, more cerebral.

Calla Lily
07-11-2012, 05:26 PM
A few of my recs are Hammer films. I hesitate to inundate him with Hammer horror because I suppose one can get too much of a good thing. Although I never get tired of them. :)

Also, I should add some of the delightful Roger Corman/Vincent Price costume pieces:

The Pit and the Pendulum
The Masque of the Red Death
The Haunted Palace

And Nick Adams being outacted by Boris Karloff's little finger in Die, Monster, Die!

seun
07-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Three Carpenter's come to mind - The Fog, Big Trouble and Precinct 13. All classics.

Mr Flibble
07-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Oh, Big Trouble is a fave film round here.

Are you ready, Jack?

Some fine suggestions, thanks guys.

shawkins
07-11-2012, 06:36 PM
I think the original Rollerball with James Caan holds up pretty well.

I absolutely love the earlier David Cronenberg movies. Nobody does paranoid, fucked-up and surreal even half as good as Cronenberg. Every child on earth should be forced to watch his entire catalog as soon as they're old enough sneak out back and smoke a joint:

Scanners
Videodrome
The Brood
The Fly

seun
07-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Add Shivers to that list. Fun for all the family. As is the original The Crazies. :evil

Priene
07-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Morons From Outer Space. Makes Citizen Kane look like Jaw 4: The Revenge.

maxmordon
07-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Can he stand silent movies? If so, then Lang's Metropolis and Woman On The Moon for sci-fi and The Nibelungs duology for Fantasy.

Vespertilion
07-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Ice Pirates
Krull
Time Bandits
Yellowbeard
Ladyhawke
Beastmaster
Conan The Barbarian
Logan's Run
Baron Munchausen
Dark City

Ooh, also Run Lola Run.

Shadow Dragon
07-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Not quite as old as the other suggested movies (it's from '94 I think) but I would suggest Clerks. Another good one is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

BigWords
07-12-2012, 12:42 AM
If you want something to blow his mind, then Avant-Garde: Experimental Cinema Of The 1920 and '30s is amazing - I don't know if there is a R2 release (I have the NTSC disc) but it is a brilliant film geek primer. Then, having seen that, Metropolis, Nosferatu et al (though you can tell him that most of the grand romances and thrillers of the early cinema are entirely skippable). La Belle et la Bte, because everyone needs to watch at least one Cocteau film, and that's a damn fine place to start - oh, and don't forget the 1940s gangster films from Warner. For classic British films, The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp, Passport To Pimlico and The Man In The White Suit...

Dark Star. I nearly forgot Dark Star... Yeah - he needs to watch that. :D

Oh, and Bringing Up Baby if you can get a decent copy. The DVD I have is abysmal.

Mr Flibble
07-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Passport to Pimlico! That's a blast from the past of B&W movies on Beeb 2 on a rainy Saturday afternoons...

Looks like I'm going on a shopping spree....

Brightdreamer
07-12-2012, 02:55 AM
If he's seen Dark Crystal, has he watched Labyrinth? (The Henson movie, not Pan's Labyrinth.)

The Last Starfighter is a bit corny today, but tell me that you've never wanted to live out a real-life video game in space...

For older comedies that still make me laugh:

The Man With Two Brains - (Warning for suggestive humor, but nothing graphic; just words and innuendo.) Steve Martin as a brain surgeon, who falls in love with a brain in a jar. Also starring Kathleen Turner as a heartless gold-digger.

Murder by Death - An eccentric millionaire (played by Truman Capote) invites literature's greatest detectives (or proxies thereof) to his mansion to solve a murder. Silly, but fun, with an all-star cast. (On a roughly similar vein is The Cheap Detective, with Peter Falk as a gritty PI and more than a few homages to Casablanca.)

Fourthing/whatevering Clue. You either get it or you don't...

And I expect you've already shown him The Princess Bride. If not, do so. (You might consider reading the book first, though - I remember being thrown the first time I saw it.)

Calla Lily
07-12-2012, 03:17 AM
The Last Starfighter was Robert Preston's last movie. For that alone it deserves a viewing.

+1 to Murder by Death. But FIRST do show him a couple Charlie Chan movies, The Thin Man, a Miss Marple movie, and A Hercule Poirot movie.

Speaking of, I cannot recommend all four Margaret Rutherford Miss Marple movies highly enough. They're not accurate at all to the way Christie wrote the character, but Rutherford is simply wonderful.

I've never read Princess Bride. I enjoy the movie too much. (Same with James and the Giant Peach.)

BigWords
07-12-2012, 03:30 AM
Speaking of, I cannot recommend all four Margaret Rutherford Miss Marple movies highly enough.

This.

Not only one of the finest actors ever, she was (as related in numerous actors' biographies and film histories) a really cool person. Some great stories about her floating around. :)

thebloodfiend
07-12-2012, 03:36 AM
They aren't exactly classics, but:

The Skin We Live In -- Watched with my roommates at night. They were traumatized by how weird it was.

Dark City -- Awesome.

Watership Down.
Akira
Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door
The Expermint (The German Movie) -- Violent, though.
I'd say Clockwork Orange -- hey, I snuck off and watched it at 14 -- but it's rather iffy.
The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane -- Jody Foster at like 14. It's pretty good.
Silence of the Lambs
Misery
Dolores Claiborne
Apt Pupil

BigWords
07-12-2012, 03:43 AM
The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane -- Jody Foster at like 14. It's pretty good.

Had to Google that - seems my brain has conflated it with Alice, Sweet Alice... Which should also be on a list of classic films, if only for Mr. Alphonso.

thebloodfiend
07-12-2012, 03:48 AM
Had to Google that - seems my brain has conflated it with Alice, Sweet Alice... Which should also be on a list of classic films, if only for Mr. Alphonso.

Dude, people already think I'm weird, what with everything I read and watch. Now I have to check that out, too.

Speaking of weirdness --

Rosemary's Baby.
The Stepford Wives. The original, not the slightly humorous remake.
The Exorcist #1 and #3 Director's Cut
The Prince of Darkness
The Thing (not the shitty remake)
They Live (kind of campy, but Rowdy Roddy Pipper is funny and Carpenter is awesome)

All are must watches for anyone who claims to like horror, IMO.

Calla Lily
07-12-2012, 03:56 AM
*puts on mom hat*

IRU, since your kiddo is still just 13, I'm going to UN-recommend a few movies on this thread. All the unrecommends below are temporary, till he's about 15. Please keep in mind that I'm goig by when I showed my own boys most of these movies; your kiddo's readiness for certain extremes won't be the same, obviosuly. :)

Going through thread in order of posts:

Unrecomended:
Evil Dead
Night of the Living Dead
Horror Hotel

Hugely unrecommended:
Clerks
The Exorcist
The Skin I live In
A Clockwork Orange
Videodrome

Iffy:
Shivers
Scanners
The Crazies
The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane

Again, JMO from a mom who is also a horror lover. :)

Calla Lily
07-12-2012, 03:58 AM
Prince of Darkness FTW! That movie is one of my eternal guilty pleasures.

The Stepford Wives is the most terrifying movies ever made. Ever. I saw it once when I was a teenager and still have an occasional nightmare about it.

thebloodfiend
07-12-2012, 04:04 AM
Hmmm... Callalily has a point.

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane is....well, I saw it when I was 13. But my parents also fast-forwarded through some of it as well. It's a movie about a girl who's being bothered by an ephebophile, but there's no graphic language or visuals. Just that creepy uncomfortable leering feeling. And you see Jodie Foster naked.

Scanners, I can't remember anything but violence in that. It's very graphic. If there was sex, I can't remember. But, yes, it's very graphic.

I've only seen the remake of The Crazies, and while I loved it (saw it when I was 16?) it was also heavy on the violence. There may have been an attempted rape, but I'm unsure.

I've never seen Shivers, but now I want to since it's iffy.

The Exorcist, depending on the version, is rather graphic. The Director's Cut is very, very heavy on horrible sexual language (but it's also the scariest, IMO). The 3rd one is rather "safe" though.

A Clockwork Orange... no.

The Skin I Live In. No. No. No. I mean, I liked it well enough, but it's very heavy on rape and torture.

And I haven't seen Clerks, but I am familiar with Kevin Smith and his characters have dirty, dirty mouths.

alleycat
07-12-2012, 04:06 AM
If you can find it, the WonderWorks version of Bridge to Terabithia (1985).

I sort of half-way watched the version done a few years ago. I was so disinterested at the time that I can't say whether it was good or not. It certainly wasn't true to the book; the WonderWorks version is.

jennontheisland
07-12-2012, 04:19 AM
The Skin I Live In. No. No. No. I mean, I liked it well enough, but it's very heavy on rape and torture.
Really?? Either it all happens way at the end, or I must have seen some kind of edited version because wow, this was so boring I stopped it and found something else to do.

Evil Dead should so be on that list. It was a film school project and made on less than $5000. It's got a lot of very fake blood, and some hilarious puppets, but I saw that one when I was 10. And 15. And probably every year since. As soon as my kid is 13 he'll be watching it.

I saw A Clockwork Orange when I was 15 or 16. Disturbing, yes, but keep in mind, he's going to be watching these with Mum. Excellent opportunity to talk about themes, and social implications of art.

Clerks, I would actually wait on. Let him watch that one with his buddies when he's 16.

Having not been raised with any Christian indoctrination (other than what I picked up on tv) The Exorcist made little sense to me and was merely weird. I was 13 when I saw it. Your kid will probably feel the same.

Tron
Hellraiser
Aliens
Spaceballs
Conan

thebloodfiend
07-12-2012, 04:56 AM
There's a graphic rape twenty minutes into The Skin We Live In. Then there's a date rape later on. And an ambiguous Stockholm sex/rape scene towards the end. It's a slow movie, but there's quite a bit of rape an wonky sex stuff in it.

Granted, mom'll be watching it with him. I just know my parents forbade me to see or read Clockwork Orange. I suppose it varies from household to household but that movie is filled with rape, well duh, even more so than TSWLI.

I second Aliens, though. And all of the sequels, including Resurrection because I like Winona Ryder. I'm probably the only person in the world who likes that movie. Also, more recent classics -- Girl, Interrupted and Pitch Black.

Calla Lily
07-12-2012, 04:57 AM
I disliked the Exorcist because I dislike all movies that cast children in totally f'ed up, disturbing, psychotic roles. Cast an adult in the same role, I'm fine with watching it. Yes, I was a Cradle Catholic, but it's the kid factor that squicks me on this one.

I would wait on Hellraiser because there's some seriously disturbed stuff in it. The whole pain-is-pleasure thing is... um. Well. Yeah. However, the way the skeleton in the attic gradually gets re-fleshed = brilliant.

Mr Flibble
07-12-2012, 04:58 AM
I'm fairly chuffed he's seen quote few in the lists here

No zombies movies - Old Man has a bit of a phobia bout them so....

But some great nomms.

And rape - er - while we've discussed no meaning and and yes meaning yes I think that might be too far...

triceretops
07-12-2012, 06:01 AM
The Birds
The Time Machine
The Bad Seed
Harry and the Hendersons
The Beast from 20,000 fathoms
Westworld
Waterworld
Son of Kong
Mighty Joe Young (original)
Rodan
All the Mad Max Movies
The Angry Red Planet
Valley of Guangi (sp?)
When Girls had Tails
When Girls lost their tails
The Omega Man

frimble3
07-12-2012, 06:42 AM
yeah he doesn't mind B&W and he might actually go for Steel Magnolias.

If he'll watch B&W, try at least one version of:
The Scarlet Pimpernel
The Three Musketeers
The Prisoner of Zenda
If he likes discussing movies, try one of the older versions and a more modern one.

Also, I should add some of the delightful Roger Corman/Vincent Price costume pieces:

The Pit and the Pendulum
The Masque of the Red Death
The Haunted Palace

And Nick Adams being outacted by Boris Karloff's little finger in Die, Monster, Die!

How can you ignore 'The Raven' (1963) Roger Corman film with Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff and a really young Jack Nicholson?

Valley of Guangee (sp?) (That's 'Gwangi'. I loved that film, like a really early 'Jurassic Park'. With the cutest little Eohippi)

He's watched Dracula I think (I distinctly remember the comment of OMG Dracula is Saruman! :D)
'Kind Hearts and Coronets' with Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alec Guinness, not that kid) as practically everybody. For that matter, how about: 'Bridge On The River Kwai'?

And, if we're doing 'classics', I'm assuming that he's seen 'Old Yeller'?

Brightdreamer
07-12-2012, 08:02 AM

And, if we're doing 'classics', I'm assuming that he's seen 'Old Yeller'?

Argh - evil, nasty-ending movie!

For classic Disney, I preferred The Incredible Journey (the original, without the talking-animal junk.)

Actually, if the kid likes the classics, consider getting hold of the original run of The Twilight Zone. Half-hour episodes, but almost every one an instantly-memorable classic.

Also, if he's a Star Wars fan and hasn't seen Mel Brooks' parody Spaceballs, he should get a kick out of it. (Speaking of Star Wars, if the kid liked that and the Dark Crystal, he'd probably enjoy Delgo. A more recent computer-animated movie, but very imaginative visuals, reminiscent of Henson and Lucas at their best. Story's not quite up to snuff, but it's worth watching for the animation.)

And on a random note, the Steve Martin/John Candy road trip comedy Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - it looks stupid at first glance, but it's actually got a real heart to it.

There's also the Steve Martin/Lily Tomlin comedy All Of Me, with the dead, spoiled heiress whose spirit gets stuck inabiting one-half of a lawyer's body.

frimble3
07-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Tootsie!

seun
07-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Unrecomended:
Evil Dead
Night of the Living Dead
Horror Hotel

Hugely unrecommended:
Clerks
The Exorcist
The Skin I live In
A Clockwork Orange
Videodrome

Iffy:
Shivers
Scanners
The Crazies

Being serious for a second, I'm with you on a few of these as not being suitable for a 14 year old kid. Horror Hotel, though? Been a while since I've seen it, but from what I remember, it would probably seem pretty tame to a kid now. Clerks is a classic, but extremely sweary so I'd probably say wait a couple of years. The Crazies...hmm. It's cynical as hell not to mention quite dated, but it does have a particularly disturbing moment. And as odd as it might sound, I'd say Evil Dead is OK for a 14 year old depending on their maturity. The effects are laughable and it's completely OTT. I know the tree scene isn't nice, but that's probably the worst part.

ETA: Just to clarify, this is the same Horror Hotel you're referring to, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_of_the_Dead_(film)

Mr Flibble
07-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Old Yeller? I've never seen Old Yeller (I get the feeling it's more popular in the states. Never seen it pop up on any channels over here). Now, Where the Red Fern Grows, if I want to see him try not to cry....

BigWords
07-12-2012, 02:15 PM
In a strange crossover with the depressing endings thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232728) and the scene that made people cry thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233997), I gotta point out that the ending of Valley Of The Gwangi was harsh when I first saw it - when the fire breaks out at the end, even though I know what is coming, it is always as if the film is punishing me for investing a degree of sympathy for the big lizard. I also occasionally tear up at the ending of the original King Kong as well, so...

waylander
07-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Kelly's Heroes
Ruthless People
The Longest Day
Ice Cold in Alex
Where Eagles Dare

L. Y.
07-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Hmmm...SF and fantasy?

I loved Excalibur as a kid. SF...how about Alien/Aliens...both are cult classics. I also enjoy Miyazaki's animated films, such as Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Hope that helps.

Calla Lily
07-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Multi-response here:

I un-recommended Horror Hotel because of the nekkid gal altar sacrifice. Other than that, I love-love-love this movie. Christopher Lee was brilliant in every movie he made, I swear.

IRU's kiddo is 13, not 14, which I why I made my un-recommendations in the first place--of course with the caveat that IRU's kiddo might be plenty mature enough for some of the movies on that list.

Clerks hit a 10 on my "Disgusted" meter in the first 10 minutes. I turned it off. The C-word will do that every time.

To frimble: I made my recs at work, but how on earth could I have forgotten Colman in The Prisoner of Zenda? Augh! I fail as a Colman devotee. :e2paperba That movie has everything--Fairbanks Jr., Massey, Mary Astor from The Maltese Falcon, and Madeleine Carroll from The 39 Steps in a delightfully snarky role.

Also: The Maltese Falcon and The 39 Steps are must-sees. :)

I prefer the Anthony Andrews/Jane Seymour Scarlet Pimpernel, but the Howard.Oberon one is certainly acceptable.

Also, yes, The Raven is quite watchable and should be included on the Corman List. Corman is one of my go-to directors for the worst horror ever made that is fun to watch... but The Raven is the opposite--it's a very good movie.

I will adjust my "iffy" rec of The Crazies because of "that" scene, and yes, the tree scene in Evil Dead is... well.. ahem.

BigWords
07-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Another one - The Man Who Laughs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCD7YgK2Adk).

L. Y.
07-13-2012, 04:29 AM
Almost forgot about the SF flick Serenity.

Gravity
07-13-2012, 04:57 AM
White Heat

The Lion in Winter

The Grapes of Wrath

Casablanca

The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari (silent masterpice of German expressionism)

The Bride of Frankenstein

North by Northwest

Gunga Din

Five (SF oddity by Arch Obler)

The Magnificent Seven

The Searchers

Calla Lily
07-13-2012, 05:49 AM
So you've already started a spreadsheet, right, IRU? :D

SirOtter
07-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Speaking of, I cannot recommend all four Margaret Rutherford Miss Marple movies highly enough.

She's a lot of fun in Blithe Spirit, too.

Some of my favs:

Arsenic and Old Lace
Harvey
Seven Samurai
Most any Chaplin, Keaton or Lloyd silent feature.
The Man Who Came to Dinner
You Can't Take it With You
All the Val Lewton RKO horrors
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

That's a good start. :)

JLBrady
07-13-2012, 06:31 AM
I second Lion in Winter. The snappy dialogue is amazing and makes me feel giddy every time I watch it.

jennontheisland
07-13-2012, 06:50 AM
How to Get Ahead in Advertising

frimble3
07-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Old Yeller? I've never seen Old Yeller (I get the feeling it's more popular in the states. Never seen it pop up on any channels over here). Now, Where the Red Fern Grows, if I want to see him try not to cry....
'Old Yeller'/'Where the Red Fern Grows' = potato/potahto.
Animal weepers. Basically most animal stories are sad.

Although he should, at some point, see 'National Velvet', just from a 'historic actors' POV. And, t's not sad.

Will he watch funny musicals? 'Some Like It Hot' is bright and shiny and fun (once you get past the mobsters) and old enough that it probably seems like a fantasy. 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' was on TV today, but I doubt that it has much appeal for a teenage boy. Well, aside from the obvious. :)

Has anyone mentioned 'The African Queen' or 'The Maltese Falcon'? Again, movie history.

SirOtter
07-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Will he watch funny musicals? 'Some Like It Hot' is bright and shiny and fun (once you get past the mobsters) and old enough that it probably seems like a fantasy. 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' was on TV today, but I doubt that it has much appeal for a teenage boy. Well, aside from the obvious. :)

Why, whatever do you mean. ;)

I'm not generally a big fan of musicals, but I can't recommend Singin' in the Rain and An American in Paris enough.

SirOtter
07-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Can he stand silent movies? If so, then Lang's Metropolis and Woman On The Moon for sci-fi and The Nibelungs duology for Fantasy.

I'm ambivalent on Frau im Mond. It's a little odd, even for Lang. The first half is an overwrought spy thing reminiscent of Houdini's films, and the second makes Melies' Voyage dans la Lune look like Destination Moon in terms of scientific accuracy. Spione might be a better choice. And of course, M, if he can tolerate subtitles. And he should learn to; all films should be seen in their original language. Dubbing screws up the whole rhythm of the thing.

Great films I don't think anyone's mentioned:

The Uninvited (1944)
War of the Worlds - the George Pal extravaganza, NOT the Tom Cruise trainwreck
This Island Earth
When Worlds Collide
Black Sabbath
Black Sunday
Targets (Karloff's last great film)
This Gun for Hire
Weismuller's first two or three Tarzan pics
Murder My Sweet
The Big Sleep
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Captain Blood

SirOtter
07-13-2012, 09:15 AM
how on earth could I have forgotten Colman in The Prisoner of Zenda? Augh! I fail as a Colman devotee. :e2paperba That movie has everything--Fairbanks Jr., Massey, Mary Astor from The Maltese Falcon, and Madeleine Carroll from The 39 Steps in a delightfully snarky role.

The Stewart Granger Zenda isn't bad, except in comparison to the Colman version. Granger's best film has to be Scaramouche, with the longest swordfight on film.

Has anyone mentioned Laura?

jennontheisland
07-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Ghostbusters

SirOtter
07-13-2012, 09:58 AM
OK, be afraid, be very afraid. I just pulled out my Great Big List of Essential Films. Here we go, in no order whatsoever, great films I've seen and recommend that have not as yet (AFAIK) been mentioned:

Bluebeard (1944)
Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter
Curse of the Demon
Island of Lost Souls
The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms
20 Million Miles to Earth
The Devil Rides Out
The Changling (1980)
Carnival of Souls
Les Yeux Sans Visage (Eyes Without a Face)
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (I prefer Fredric March's Oscar winner of 1932, but Spencer Tracy's 1941 turn has been getting more respect lately than it has in the past)
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors
The House That Dripped Blood
House of Wax (Vincent Price, NOT Paris Hilton)
Night of the Eagle
The Old Dark House (1932)
Either the Lon Chaney or Claude Rains Phantom of the Opera
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Vampyr
Tales From the Crypt/Vault of Horror
White Zombie
Theatre of Blood
King Kong
Son of Kong
The Night Stalker
Gojira (or Godzilla, King of the Monsters, if you insist on seeing Perry Mason in Japan)
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)
Forbidden Planet
The Incredible Shrinking Man
I Married a Monster From Outer Space
Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)
Time after Time
Village of the Damned
Doctor Mabuse, Der Spieler
Abel Gance's Napoleon
Der Letzte Mann
The Lodger (1927)
The Man Who Would Be King
The Crimson Pirate
Beau Geste (1939)
Captain Horatio Hornblower
The Most Dangerous Game
The Naked Prey (no, it's not what you think, you perverts)
Zulu
The Mark of Zorro, either Fairbanks' silent or Tyrone Power's sound version
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
The Ghost Breakers
The Cat & the Canary, either silent or Bob Hope
The Ghost & Mr. Chicken
The Mouse That Roared
Support Your Local Sheriff
Topper
Whistling in the Dark
Who Done It? (Abbott & Costello)
Cyrano de Bergerac
The Asphalt Jungle
Judgment at Nuremburg
Olivier's Richard III
Bad Day at Black Rock
The Devil and Daniel Webster
The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao
The Thief of Bagdad (either silent or sound)
Kwaidan
Rashomon
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
El Angel Exterminador
And Then There Were None (1945)
Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome
The Hound of the Baskerville (Rathbone! Accept no substitutes!)
Gaslight (I prefer the American one, but the British one has its points)
Hopscotch
The Lady Vanishes
The Spiral Staircase (1945)

frimble3
07-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Excellent list! And 'Hopscotch'! I haven't seen that in ages.

Mr Flibble
07-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Almost forgot about the SF flick Serenity.

hehe, oh that was an early one. He has 'Shiny, let's be bad guys' as a text tone.

So you've already started a spreadsheet, right, IRU? :D

My poor credit card, that's all I'm saying!

'

Will he watch funny musicals? The only musical he will abide is the Little Shop of Horrors.

OK, be afraid, be very afraid.

Dude, are you trying to make me bankrupt? :D Nice list.

JimmyB27
07-13-2012, 12:25 PM
If you want to see him try not to cry - try Life is Beautiful. Italian film set in the second world war. It's a little odd as it's almost two films. The first half is almost romantic comedy and the second half is...well...I'll let you watch it.

The only musical he will abide is the Little Shop of Horrors.
Not even The Blues Brothers? :O

Mr Flibble
07-13-2012, 12:49 PM
That's a point...

I must dig out my copy. He cannot go further in his life without knowing the proper way to deal with Illinois Nazis.

alleycat
07-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Has anyone mentioned the original Cat People?

SirOtter
07-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Has anyone mentioned the original Cat People?

I think so, but that's one that bears repeating, frequently. :)

BigWords
07-13-2012, 08:57 PM
You can add a whole bunch of the Val Lewton-produced films as well - Isle of the Dead in particular is a favorite of mine, though The Ghost Ship is probably considered more important.

SirOtter
07-14-2012, 01:46 AM
Dude, are you trying to make me bankrupt? :D Nice list.

Thanks. Be happy I kept it age-appropriate, or I'd've had to include a few dozen things more, like Peeping Tom or Spider Baby or Blood Feast. ;)

I didn't even list the essential serials, either. So, here they are:

Adventures of Captain Marvel, Spy Smasher, Secret Service in Darkest Africa (a major source of the plot of Raiders of the Lost Ark), Flash Gordon, Drums of Fu Manchu, Tiger Girl (Linda Stirling - Rrrrowwwrrr!), and many more! No, not Minnie Moore - many more!

BigWords
07-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Dude... King of the Rocket Men. If we are including film serials, then the inspiration for The Rocketeer has to be on the list. :)

SirOtter
07-14-2012, 02:04 AM
Dude... King of the Rocket Men. If we are including film serials, then the inspiration for The Rocketeer has to be on the list. :)

Absolutely! I just listed the first few that popped into my overworked and underpaid brain. Some other good ones are The Masked Marvel, The Mysterious Dr. Satan, The New Adventures of Tarzan, and Zorro's Fighting Legion. The silent Son of Tarzan is pretty good, too.

I have almost 130 serials in my collection.

Ken
07-14-2012, 02:49 AM
... The Secret Garden, 1949 and The Little Princess, 1939 are cool. Both have fantasy elements.

Brightdreamer
07-14-2012, 03:15 AM
Thought of a few others:

Dragonslayer - Older Disney live-action movie, holds up decently today.
Dragonheart - I consider Draco the dragon to be the first modern stand-alone CGI character, and one of cinema's greatest dragons of all time.
Young Sherlock Holmes - Surprisingly well done movie in which Holmes and Watson meet at a boarding school and investigate mysterious murders.
Dreamscape - Psychics can enter other people's dreams. I've always had a soft spot for this one; loved the concept, and the story's not half bad.
War Games - A classic "hacker hits the wrong computer" story; at the dawn of the Internet, a boy (Matthew Broderick) inadvertently starts playing a war game with the computer behind America's nuclear missle defense system.

Mr Flibble
07-14-2012, 04:26 AM
He tried very hard not to cry at Dragonheart a couple of years ago.

War games...that would interest him greatly and I'd forgotten about it.

alleycat
07-14-2012, 04:37 AM
The Rocketeer (kind of a spoof as I recall, but your laddo might enjoy it).

telford
07-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Hey IRU how abouty Army of Darkness: It's fun seeing Ash, the witless hero, somehow saving the day.

And I'll add my voice to Captain Horatio Hornblower: Classic melding of two of Forresters novels into one rip roaring adventure yarn with Gregory Peck nailing the lead. (So to speak).

L. Y.
07-14-2012, 01:16 PM
hehe, oh that was an early one. He has 'Shiny, let's be bad guys' as a text tone.

:D

Mr Flibble
07-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Well Jayne is awesome. He's seen all the episodes too (and Red Dwarf, Blackadder and the Young Ones, naturally, I mean, them's the basics, right?)

Hey IRU how abouty Army of Darkness: It's fun seeing Ash, the witless hero, somehow saving the day.

I think he's seen that. It's tricky, what with the Old Man having a zombie phobia - but even he can just about manage Ash. In fact he's a huge fan of The Chin

Ohhh...Bubba Ho Tep. I think the laddo might like that.

seun
07-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Could be stating the obvious, but Indiana Jones?

Mr Flibble
07-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Heh, we rewatched the first the other day. He likes them, except 4. I don't blame him.

frimble3
07-17-2012, 01:10 AM
Comedy?
Danny Kayes' 'The Court Jester'?
Crosby/Hope's 'Road to Morocco'?
A Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis movie? I can't recall any of them, but they're 'classics' I think, and offer perspective on the whole 'dim-wit' style of comedy. Jerry Lewis = Adam Sandler?

SirOtter
07-17-2012, 02:12 AM
Comedy?
Danny Kayes' 'The Court Jester'?
Crosby/Hope's 'Road to Morocco'?
A Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis movie? I can't recall any of them, but they're 'classics' I think, and offer perspective on the whole 'dim-wit' style of comedy. Jerry Lewis = Adam Sandler?

Court Jester is a good one. The Inspector General is also good.
Road to Morocco is probably the best of the Road Pictures. The others are good, except the last one, IMHO
I'm not a huge Martin & Lewis fan, but a few are tolerable. Scared Stiff is a remake of Bob Hope's The Ghostbreakers, so it starts with some good source material and doesn't mangle it too badly. Artists and Models is mildly amusing.

frimble3
07-17-2012, 05:32 AM
Court Jester is a good one. The Inspector General is also good.
Road to Morocco is probably the best of the Road Pictures. The others are good, except the last one, IMHO
I'm not a huge Martin & Lewis fan, but a few are tolerable. Scared Stiff is a remake of Bob Hope's The Ghostbreakers, so it starts with some good source material and doesn't mangle it too badly. Artists and Models is mildly amusing.
Yeah, not much on Martin & Lewis myself, but if we're taking the kiddo on a tour through movie history, they should at least be mentioned. I seem to remember Jerry Lewis's 'Cinderfella' as being okay.
After all, some guys like the Three Stooges, so he might like Jerry Lewis.

SirOtter
07-17-2012, 07:28 AM
After all, some guys like the Three Stooges, so he might like Jerry Lewis.

Hey, now. Don't be dissin' my Stooges. ;)

frimble3
07-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Hey, now. Don't be dissin' my Stooges. ;)
I wouldn't dream of it, that's why there are so many movies, something for everybody.

Mr Flibble
07-17-2012, 02:57 PM
No kid should grow up without watching:
Beauty and the Beast
Commando for a classic Arnie flick that's, probably unintentionally, hilarious
Mortal Kombat
The Matrix
Wizard of Oz of course
Pan's Labyrinth, a bit dark but good themes
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Haven't seen it since I was a kid but remember loving Willy Wonka
Star Wars, old trilogy All covered. :D

But today I got a few dvds in the post - Passport to Pimlico, Green Mile (we have it, but it's on vid and the video player's borked sooo) and a special bonus Equilibrium. Got a few more on order too. My poor credit card...

The Road movies - I vaguely recall those and I suspect he'd love the Morocco one - he loves going there, and keeps nagging to go back, but seeing as our favourite cafe got blown up last year....

frimble3
07-18-2012, 01:01 AM
All covered. :D

But today I got a few dvds in the post - Passport to Pimlico, Green Mile (we have it, but it's on vid and the video player's borked sooo) and a special bonus Equilibrium. Got a few more on order too. My poor credit card...

The Road movies - I vaguely recall those and I suspect he'd love the Morocco one - he loves going there, and keeps nagging to go back, but seeing as our favourite cafe got blown up last year....
AIR the Road movies were filmed on soundstages (probably the same one for all of them) so it's probably not going to remind him of the real thing. :)

Mr Flibble
07-18-2012, 01:26 AM
If nothing else, he will then understand his father's saying of 'You've got two hopes, Bob Hope and no hope.' :D

The humour would probably tickle him (though he's becoming more fond of Carry On as he moves into THAT stage of puberty....)

The305itself
09-15-2012, 01:37 AM
The good, the bad, and the ugly

Fletch (PG, funny)

Seven years in Tibet

Fight Club (possibly greatest movie ever)