Sending Synopses

winstonlim

Just an old beach bum.
Registered
Reaction score
I've nearly finished the latest revision of the first book of a trilogy and before I start sending out query emails and letters, I'd be grateful for some advice about whether or not it would be a good idea to -

1.mention that it's the first book of a trilogy.

2.include the synopses of the second and third books when I'm sending out queries (especially by snail mail).

I have been told (by published writer friends) that it's a good idea because it lets the agent/publisher know I'm serious enough about writing that I've actually planned the other books (I actually have sample chapters for the second and third books available, too).

On the other hand, I have also heard (also from other writer friends) that it's not a good idea as it might make an agent or publisher feel that they have to commit to all three books instead of just the first one initially.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
What Project Deadlight says. When an agent calls to discuss your book and possibly make an offer, they'll ask what else you are working on. At that time, mention the other two and any other projects.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If this is your first work, it likely won't be considered as anything but a stand-alone book. If you have publishing cred, it might make sense to mention it. It would also depend on the genre to a certain extent. A trilogy or series is common in some genres and rare in others.

Jeff

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Do not send anything other than what the agent asks for at the query stage.