Medical Knowledge Requested! (Warning: Gross!)

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya! So, in my current WIP, there is some corpse desecration occurring. I need to know how long it would take and how difficult it would be to remove all seven cervical vertebra and the first seven thoracic. The body has not been dead for more than an hour, if that makes a difference (I have been lead to believe it does). The desecrater in question would have about 1-2 hours, a sharp, non-serrated blade*, and a good bit of physical strength. Is this possible? If not, what do I need to fix?

*Not talking a scalpel here. Think a dagger or a dirk, though the character could have hypothetical access to a hand saw, if this is impossible.

I apologize for whatever horrible mental images I may or may not have inspired. :D

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
It would be similar to butchering a pig, I'd imagine. You can probably find info about that easier. Might even be videos.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I honestly hadn't thought of that, but wouldn't a butcher be after the fleshy bits? I'm going for bone only, no muscle, tendon, or ligaments wanted. I'll check and see though. Thanks!

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Pigs have been used since the middle ages as comparative to humans in terms of size and consistency of flesh and bone.

Butchers cut up the whole pig. Pork ribs have to be separated from the spine somehow. In fact, if there is a local butcher around, they might even be able to show you.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Any video on butchering will give you a good idea.

I'd put the body face down, then do two parallel cuts about three inches from the back's center line, covering the length of the vertebra that you want, ending each cut so that they connect in a 'U' shape. I'd peel the skin back toward the head, using a knife to help separate it from deeper muscle and the bones. Then a pair of loppers like you use to trim brush, and snip the ribs, and the backbone above and below where you want to be. Grab the vertebra you want, and pull, using a knife to separate from muscle and other tissue.

Estimated time with some experience at skinning and/or butchering would be about half an hour.

I don't recall anyone who has tried this, either on a human or animals.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, thank you! I actually knew that, and yet did not think of it at all. *facepalm*:e2paperba (I'm going to blame it on being a vegetarian for now. :tongue) I don't think there is a butcher near here that I can ask, but I should definitely be able to find something about slaughtering a pig online. Gotta love those "durrh" moments, right?

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Any video on butchering will give you a good idea.

I'd put the body face down, then do two parallel cuts about three inches from the back's center line, covering the length of the vertebra that you want, ending each cut so that they connect in a 'U' shape. I'd peel the skin back toward the head, using a knife to help separate it from deeper muscle and the bones. Then a pair of loppers like you use to trim brush, and snip the ribs, and the backbone above and below where you want to be. Grab the vertebra you want, and pull, using a knife to separate from muscle and other tissue.

Estimated time with some experience at skinning and/or butchering would be about half an hour.

I don't recall anyone who has tried this, either on a human or animals.

This is essentially what I had thought of, so I'm glad I'm on the right track. The only error I made was a lack of loppers (to be immediately fixed). I know this is something where, if I make a mistake, most people would never notice...but it would drive me nuts.

And I certainly hope no one has ever tried this. What a thought. :eek: