PDA

View Full Version : neurotoxins

stitchingirl
07-10-2012, 04:42 PM
If someone happens to visit someone in a "sick building" as it's called, would they still have long-term effects from that?

Headaches, nausea, and fainting seems to be the symptoms of what I found. I found the treatment using Questran.

Would the visitor who got a small dose of the toxin still be given that treatment? I can't seem to find that answer.

stitchingirl
07-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Never mind. I found it.

Amazing what you can see when you wear your glasses as compared to not wearing them. :tongue

lbender
07-10-2012, 05:12 PM
We're all glad to have been able to help http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

stitchingirl
07-14-2012, 01:40 AM
I do have a question about the medicine for this, though.

Using Atropine, would the doctors give someone the shots or the pills? I saw that Atropine is available in pills (got picture and that), but talking to a friend who lives in another country who was given the shots to carry with them when Desert Storm was taken place. I don't know which one the physicians would be subject to give someone.

boron
07-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Oral atropine is available, but that's to treat diarrhea...In organophosphate poisoning, the antidote has to act fast, in few minutes, but atropine from pills would probably need more than 10 minutes to be even absorbed...

Sublingual atropine (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20159382) (to put under the tongue and wait until it's absorbed) was tested recently for use in organophospate poisoning. I think it's not available for practical use yet.

stitchingirl
07-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Thank you for the information. :)

anthony draco
07-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Oral dose of anything is for when not so immediate effects are required. Chlorpheniramine for nasal decongestant, for instance. Another implication is that they must be able to eat too.

Intramuscular, sublingual, intravenous are faster. The first is slowest. The last is the fastest.

IV adrenaline for recuscitatiing, for instance.
Sublingual for nitroglycerine in angina pectoris cases.
IM for vaccines.

(BUT... don't be surprised if someone gets a dose of IM adrenaline and it works fast. Someone who can't breathe due to severe allergic reaction can be given adrenaline IM and can breathe almost immediately. Adrenaline is probably the fastest acting hormone. It works in seconds.)

stitchingirl
07-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Thank you, Anthony. Your answer is really helpful in determining the best method to use. :)