PDA

View Full Version : Total Recall

regdog
07-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Total Recall (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386703/). Wait, I think I saw this once before.

Again with another remake of a movie that's not really that old.

Ken
07-10-2012, 03:23 PM
... based on a Philip K. Dick novel or short story I believe.
That's where it's true power lies. (Enjoyed the first flick.)

bektamun
07-10-2012, 03:25 PM
As much as I enjoyed the original movie, I can't see any need to remake.

Yet another example of regurgitation. And we as writers wonder why it's so hard to sell something original.

defcon6000
07-10-2012, 03:54 PM
... based on a Philip K. Dick novel or short story I believe.
That's where it's true power lies. (Enjoyed the first flick.)
Yep, P.K. Dick's short story "We Can Remember it for You Wholesale."

The first movie was good enough for me. Can't see Ferrall topping Arnold.

BigWords
07-10-2012, 05:15 PM
The television series was (marginally) better than the Ahnold film. The original was hopelessly miscast - an intelligent, reality-bending script was hammered together with an action movie script to produce something which ended up somewhere in between the two camps.

And every film Ahnold made ended up like a Saturday morning cartoon because of his appearance. Having someone who looks vaguely human should, I would have though, been essential to fostering some rapport with the main character's dilemma.

Zoombie
07-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Pff, the weird intermixing of action and trippy philosophy is what Paul Verhovan did best. That's why Starship Troopers is one of the best movies EVER MADE.

(at least in my opinion...remember, I like Last Action Hero too)

jmare
07-11-2012, 01:54 AM
And we as writers wonder why it's so hard to sell something original.

The last original "ideas" were movies based on toys or board games. I think we can do worse than something based on the works of Phillip K. Dick.

Celia Cyanide
07-11-2012, 02:58 AM
David Cronenberg was supposed to direct it the first time. They wouldn't let him rewrite the script. That made me mad so I never watched it.

also...

Again with another remake of a movie that's not really that old.

22 years is actually a pretty long time.

Feel old now? I do... :)

Ken
07-11-2012, 03:43 AM
Yep, P.K. Dick's short story "We Can Remember it for You Wholesale."

... neat. Added to my reading list :-)

heza
07-11-2012, 04:14 AM
I was all about this until I figured out that Biel girl was in it.* There's no way she can kick Kate Beckinsale's ass. (Unless Beckinsale wins, and then I'm all about it again.)

*(I have unreasonable dislike for random people.)

jvc
07-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Okay, I was told in this version there is no trip to Mars, no Arnie in a dress, and no three-breasted mutant. This can't be true?

Cybernaught
07-11-2012, 05:00 AM
I couldn't gauge from the trailers, but this doesn't even look like it takes place on Mars -- which is more in line with Dick's original story, but it is still another mindless action-flick. To top it off, they refer to lines from the original movie; one of the characters tells another: "You'll wish you had three hands." It's a reminder that they're not even remaking spectacular originals anymore. They're remaking Commando also. Really? Does that even merit a remake? Don't get me wrong, I love the original Total Recall because of its inherent cheese and Dick was awesome, but it's like they're intentionally scraping at the bottom of the barrel for these things.

Escape from New York and The Warriors are also getting reboots. I mean come on, remake Commando if you want or even The Godfather (I fear that day). Don't you dare touch The Warriors.

jmare
07-11-2012, 06:06 AM
Just wait until they try to remake Citizen Kane or Casablanca.

MttStrn
07-11-2012, 09:57 AM
The first film hold a special place in my heart. No one can say "mars" within fifty feet of me without me going "maaaahhhhs!" But as Cybernaught said, the first film is quite different from the story that Dick wrote. This is supposed to be closer than the original source material though hopefully without the weird ending of the short story. I will see it though likely not in theaters unless reviews are amazeballs.

hadou
07-11-2012, 10:01 AM
I have seen the first movie a couple of times; this one looks promising.

Mr Flibble
07-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Escape from New York and The Warriors are also getting reboots.

But..but...who's gonna be Snake? Snake = Kurt, no two ways about it.

And the Warriors...

They can't...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!

K. Taylor
07-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Saw this movie in an early screening. I can't do a detailed review until release day, but it does have some definite differences from the original.

I've only seen bits of the original movie, so I was entertained. My SO is a fan of the original and he was disappointed in the story. We didn't have any problem with the performances of what they were given. Kate Beckinsale really kicks ass.

K. Taylor
07-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Okay, I was told in this version there is no trip to Mars, no Arnie in a dress, and no three-breasted mutant. This can't be true?

Correct, correct, and false.

seun
07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
They already remade Commando. It was called Taken.

And if they remake EFNY, I will have to kill everyone.

Cybernaught
07-11-2012, 03:10 PM

And the Warriors...

They can't...

Someone needs to put an end to this. Some sort of IP preservation organization.

Escape from New York is slated for 2013... but New Line dropped out so it's in limbo. Let's hope no other studio picks it up.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0984981/

Celia Cyanide
07-11-2012, 03:11 PM

And the Warriors...

They can't...

Um, yeah...films like that are appealing because they are low budget and old. That's what makes them interesting.

There are some films that could have been better if the filmmakers had proper resources. Other films are cool because they filmmakers made the most of the resources that were available to them. Making the same film with unlimited resources would not be as interesting.

regdog
07-11-2012, 03:38 PM
22 years is actually a pretty long time.

Feel old now? I do... :)

Yes, yes I do. Thanks for that :D

Escape from New York and The Warriors are also getting reboots. .

For the love of dawg, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Mr Flibble
07-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Um, yeah...films like that are appealing because they are low budget and old. That's what makes them interesting.

Hell yes. I think perhaps in part because of the restraints of (lack of) special effects, the stories really had to hold up. Plus, well, they were just good.

My teen son is really getting into older films - he says he loves the stories better because there aren't any flashy effects getting the way of it (or maybe they were flashy at the time, but aren't now!).

Cyia
07-11-2012, 04:20 PM

And the Warriors...

They can't...

I'd mention the Mad Max reboot, but I think it might actually make the thread implode.

BigWords
07-11-2012, 04:28 PM
I'd mention the Mad Max reboot, but I think it might actually make the thread implode.

:Wha:

I...

Dammit, I can't even bring myself to insult such a dumb idea.

There are dozens of films I can think of which actually need a remake, because the originals were so cheaply produced that there was a lot of filler and missed opportunities - if anyone wants to remake Django, I ain't gonna complain. Remaking something which has gone on to be a defining moment in cinema is just... stupid.

MttStrn
07-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Last I heard Jeremy Renner was in the running for Snake Pliskin after Gerard Butler dropped out.

Celia Cyanide
07-12-2012, 02:53 AM
Last I heard Jeremy Renner was in the running for Snake Pliskin after Gerard Butler dropped out.

Jeremy Renner?

Will something really bad happen to me if I say that actually sounds kinda cool?

third person
07-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Jeremy Renner?

Will something really bad happen to me if I say that actually sounds kinda cool?

Renner is cool and can do gritty action. Butler has no idea what kind of actor he wants to be. I mean come on....The Bounty Hunter? Ack.

Back to the topic at hand, the Ah-nold TR will always have a special place in my heart. I saw the trailer for this re-imagining. Well it's pretty. One thing I love is the scenery. There's scale and it looks like a real place.

Too bad it looks like a mashup of Minority Report, the source material, I, Robot, any Bourne movie, and pretty much every action blockbuster that's come out in the past decade. Still...it looks like it'll be worth the IMAX as long as I turn the critical writer brain brain off and relax.

J.S.F.
07-12-2012, 12:02 PM
From the trailer, it looks like a total remake of the original with better special effects. Pluses, Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel. Minuses, Colin Farrell. He's a very good actor (better than Ah-nold) but for some reason he just doesn't convince me he'd be the type of action hero I'd want to see. (Yes, in before someone tells me he played Bullseye). Just not the same kind of presence Arnold had.

I'll wait for the DVD.

third person
07-12-2012, 01:01 PM
(Yes, in before someone tells me he played Bullseye)

His bullseye was terrible (pleasantly creepy but too hammily acted)...but it proved to be GREAT practice for his role as the vamp in the remake of Fright Night...they were essentially the same character, plus fangs.

regdog
07-12-2012, 03:50 PM

The horror, the horror.

And just to really rub salt in the wounds. 50 remakes (http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/upcoming-movie-remakes/). Seriously Hollywood, come up with something new.

Celia Cyanide
07-12-2012, 03:54 PM
They should, but...that IS what people go see. Everyone complains that everything is sequels and remakes, and yet, those are the movies that make money. Why should Hollywood change that, when clearly, the public has told them, time and again, that this is what they want to see?

Jamiekswriter
07-12-2012, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=IdiotsRUs;7425262]But..but...who's gonna be Snake? Snake = Kurt, no two ways about it.

QUOTE]

Maybe Kurt will play Snake. He still fits into the costume.

Just as long as they don't remake Big Trouble in Little China . .

Cyia
07-12-2012, 05:42 PM
The horror, the horror.

And just to really rub salt in the wounds. 50 remakes (http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/upcoming-movie-remakes/). Seriously Hollywood, come up with something new.

Scarface? SCARFACE????

HOW do you remake Scarface?

Jcomp
07-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Scarface? SCARFACE????

HOW do you remake Scarface?

Well, technically, Oliver Stone's Scarface is already a remake of the 1932 Scarface.

defcon6000
07-12-2012, 06:13 PM
The horror, the horror.

Oh god. Lily Collins in Evil Dead?

A few of those movies justify a remake *coughDreddcough* but most of them are great as they are. Aaaaand studios rather remake Stephen King's stuff instead of giving us Dark Towers trilogy/TV series? Phooey on them.

Mr Flibble
07-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Maybe Kurt will play Snake. He still fits into the costume.

I actually think that would be awesomesauce.

My love for Kurt is undying.

cray
07-12-2012, 06:31 PM
The horror, the horror.

there are some movies on that list that should have never been made in the first place.

Celia Cyanide
07-13-2012, 04:36 AM
there are some movies on that list that should have never been made in the first place.

Uh...actually, those are exactly the kinds of movies that should be remade. Good movies are good. They don't need remakes. If they are bad, they can be improved upon. That won't stop people from getting butthurt about the crappiest movie ever being remade. But that's just it, as soon as we hear about remaking some complete joke of a film, people start talking about it like it's Casablanca, when no one had anything good to say about it before.

Remakes of movies that didn't quite work and/or hold up over time have given us such films as Cape Fear, The Talented Mr. Ripley, and, as JComp mentioned above, Scarface.

Cybernaught
07-13-2012, 11:22 PM
I can't believe they are remaking Starship Troopers. The effects aren't even that dated. Remaking that movie will contribute nothing.

And American Psycho... really?

JimmyB27
09-27-2012, 05:13 PM
So I had a free ticket to the cinema that needed using up, nothing that caught my interest so I went to see a reboot.
It was actually surprisingly good, with a few nice little nods to the original.
Anyone else see it?

jvc
09-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Decided to merge this Totall Recall thread with the other Total Recall thread I recalled totally there being.

JimmyB27
09-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Oops - I did look, but couldn't find.

jvc
09-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Not a problem. We got there in a roundabout kinda way. :D

(A Milton Keynes joke, there)

kingiam
11-06-2012, 09:13 AM
I cbf going into details, but the Total Recall remake is garbage. 4/10

Only good thing was that it looked great, some cool special effects...