• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

seeking pair of fresh eyes for query and first chapter of YA novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

YAreaderwriter

The voice of the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I am looking for someone to look at my query letter and first chapter. I just need a fresh look at it! It is a YA romance. I would be willing to swap as well if you need it! Just really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks so much!

If interested, reply, message or email me at [email protected]

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The query section in Share Your Work is IMO one of the best places to get query feedback. And (again IMO) the best way to learn what does and doesn't work in a query is to read and critique a whole big bunch of them -- which you can do right there in the query section of SYW. So you might find it worthwhile to crit a bunch of queries in SYW and then post your own for critique.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I've spent months reading the queries here, the stickies, and everything linked on line and heartily second the recommendation to do so. I've even recently helped two people on their queries, which just two months ago, I'd never have even tried. The more I learn, the better mine gets (and oof, I can see why the one I sent out six years ago tanked as it did. they should have sent me back letter bombs instead of form rejections! lol) Study, learn, grasshopper. ;)

YAreaderwriter

The voice of the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I will check it out! Now I just have to find the courage to post my query!

YAreaderwriter

The voice of the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Hi I tried to post on Query Hell but it wouldn't let me? Am I supposed to do anything special?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You need 50 posts in order to be able to put work up for crit. It saves us all from fly-bys.

We have some FAQs somewhere. In your introductory newbie thread, you'll have been pointed towards them by one of the mods.

They're truly gripping, emotional, and utterly compelling. Plus there are pictures.

Enjoy!

Oh - and welcome to AW!

;)

ETA: Good heavens! You haven't made a newbie post! Pop along to this thread, introduce yourself, and one of the mods will run in to point you to all that you need to know

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi I tried to post on Query Hell but it wouldn't let me? Am I supposed to do anything special?
You should be able to post critiques on other people's threads. If you can't, contact a moderator.

But you have to reach 50 posts before you can start a thread in SYW and post your own work for critique.

YAreaderwriter

The voice of the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Ah that could explain it! Thanks again! I guess I didn't really consider my self a newbie but I will have to break out of my quiet shell and start replying!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed. You really will find it helpful in your own work to critique the work of others writing in your genre. Yes, even if you think you don't know how to critique. Plus, if you've done that many times, when people see you have something up for critique yourself, many will be happy to return the favor.

Maryn, muttering something about hands washing each other

Status
Not open for further replies.