Am I considered published?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdesrochers

Registered
Reaction score
Mods, please redirect as required if this is an inappropriate subforum.

An odd question that on the surface is easily answered; the question extends to application of 'published' status to competition submissions (ie. Glimmer Train, WotF).

Back in 2000, I submitted a manuscript for publication by Palladiumbooks for their Rifts: Role-Playing Game. There it is, (http://palladium-store.com/1001/product/837-Rifts-World-Book-22-Free-Quebec.html), my name in print; okay, so I'm published. Is that the long-and-short of it?

Some competitions quote specific criteria for what is considered 'published,' such as simply "Paid," "Paid XYZ amount," or a certain circulation amount. As a private company, Palladiumbooks is not in the habit of releasing circulation numbers.

As an example, Writers of the Future states the following:

The Contest is open only to those who have not professionally published a novel or short novel, or more than one novelette, or more than three short stories, in any medium. Professional publication is deemed to be payment, and at least 5,000 copies, or 5,000 hits.

So, does an RPG book of unknown circulation count against any of the abovelisted restrictions?

Deleted member 42

You would need to ask the specific contests; we can't possibly know what they consider.

I'd suggest finding out what the print run of the book was.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Back in 2000, I submitted a manuscript for publication by Palladiumbooks for their Rifts: Role-Playing Game. There it is, (http://palladium-store.com/1001/product/837-Rifts-World-Book-22-Free-Quebec.html), my name in print; okay, so I'm published. Is that the long-and-short of it?

Some competitions quote specific criteria for what is considered 'published,' such as simply "Paid," "Paid XYZ amount," or a certain circulation amount. As a private company, Palladiumbooks is not in the habit of releasing circulation numbers.

People who are in a position to be gatekeepers, like publishers, agents, contest organizers, professional societies, etc, can set any definition of 'published' that they want. But no one gets to fix the definition that applies to everyone.

A work is 'published' when it's made available to the general public, whether it's sold or given away. IE, you can choose when to call yourself published.

When you have a few more items published, you'll start a list of published works, and you'll want to put your story on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.