PDA

View Full Version : Life Insurance

zahra
07-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Anyone know, can you get life insurance for someone living in a different country to you? Say your dad was in the UK and you are in the US, can you get a US company to insure him for you? (with his agreement)

Bufty
07-09-2012, 07:05 PM
[ETA - On this side of the pond] it's normally called Life Assurance - not insurance, [but that's a minor detail].

Most firms are global or have global contacts.

It's up to the Assurance/Insurance Company.

But you must have an 'insurable interest'.

In other words if your father died how would that impact upon you - financially? Or, Why do you want to take out the policy?

Again, it's up to the company to decide whether or not they wish to issue the policy in the first instance once they have sufficient information concerning the life to be assured (your dad) and the reason for taking out the Policy and how much is involved and how long it is to run and who is to benefit etc..

Shadow_Ferret
07-09-2012, 07:16 PM
It's normally called Life Assurance - not insurance.

Since when has it been called that? No one has ever tried to sell me life Assurance.

Bufty
07-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Oh dear. I forgot there are folk who live on the other side of the pond. :snoopy:

Previous post duly ammended.

zahra
07-10-2012, 08:18 PM
So, yes?

Thanks!

writingismypassion
07-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Something you may want to find out about is how the underwriting would be done. Most life insurance companies require at least minimal underwriting to be completed for an insured on a life insurance policy. Collecting the necessary information would be difficult if the insured is in another country.

espresso5
07-12-2012, 01:20 AM
I'm pretty sure if you're willing to pay the premium, you can insure anything you want for whatever you want as long as you have some type of fiscal interest in the object/person/occurance. Even if you can't demonstrate a fiscal interest, you could probably find someone to cover what would essentially be a wager.