Experiencing a slump in your writing process. . .anybody ever get that feeling?

JoMarieM

Registered
Reaction score
You probably know what I'm talking about -- that time when you've hit a snag in your writing process and feel like you're stuck and just can't go on with it. It's something like writer's block, but a little bit different. Right now I have a book that I'm editing and I can't seem to get myself motivated enough to go back and work on it, so I can get it finished and sent off to an editor. We all know the feeling of working on a book til we're sick of it, and feel like we don't want to see it again for a long time, if ever. This can be especially tough if you have the internet on the same computer where you store your WIPs, and it can be EXTREMELY tempting to stay online and not work on your projects.

Sometimes switching to another WIP helps. But because I have a tendency to hyperfocus when it comes to writing novels, I have a hard time moving onto another project when I haven't completed/edited/sent the other one off to a publisher. Even with another WIP I could possibly switch to that's about one-third finished, I still can't bring myself to work on it again until I get my first one completely edited and sent off.

Since I'm not dependent on my writing for making a living, I guess I probably don't feel the same pressure to write that a professional writer would. But just the same, I do feel guilty when I go for more than a few days without writing anything. It's just that motivating myself to work on editing (which actually takes more self-discipline than writing because it's a story I've been over a gazillion times already) can be EXTREMELY difficult. Anybody else ever feel like this, and how do you get past that slump?

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Haha. This post is exactly how I'm feeling right now. I've got three or four projects on the go right now, and usually I am the type of person who doesn't start something new until the last one is finished, polished and in the queue.

However as of late I've been in a slump, not just with one project but with all, writing in general. I find in my case it's the pressure of producing something. I have one book published, and I know I need to live up to a certain standard I've already created for myself and my work. I fear I won't be able to duplicate what I've already done, write a novel that is publishable, that will grab readers attention, and of course, to make it even better.

The summer is also standing in my way, a little. So many things on the go, outside of my writing life that I need to be apart of.

What I've been doing is forcing myself not to worry. Even if I sit down and only get a few thousand words done, I tell myself that's okay. I'm just trying to take it slow. I'm not sure if it will help me get passed the slump, at this point, I'm not sure what will... but it's a start.

JoMarieM

Registered
Reaction score
I think, too, what sets writing apart from other tasks, is that creativity can't be forced. . .if that spark isn't there, it's REALLY hard to put it all down in writing. Sometimes it's just best to wait until that next burst of inspiration comes, instead of trying to MAKE it come.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes it's just best to wait until that next burst of inspiration comes, instead of trying to MAKE it come.

I'd disagree with that. Inspiration needs a kick in the butt to come out of hiding. And for a writer, that means writing.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Sometimes you need a break, but sometimes you need someone to hold you accountable. Threads like this one help me. :)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've just finished an ms myself and am in the process of read-through prior to editing. I've made an exception for today, but usually I stay off site while doing that read-through so as to stay focused.

Also, I motivate myself a) by giving myself a deadline, b) by offering a reward to myself when the editing's done (I watch an opera and/or read a book I'm looking forward to), c) remind myself how good it's going to be when it's done.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've been dealing with a slump brought on by sleep deprivation, and haven't written much for the last month. Sometimes you just need a break. Just when I started to think maybe I should start writing again, I got some sales news, so that certainly helps to keep me motivated. I also like the reward system, and I try to write first thing in the day before I can get busy and distracted. Good luck!