PDA

View Full Version : Oddities/Oddities SF

MsJudy
07-09-2012, 03:57 AM
Anyone discovered this show on the Science channel yet?

It's absolutely mind-bogglingly cool. Reality TV about antiques dealers who specialize in the strange/bizarre/creepy.

Things I've seen on it so far:

A death mask of a two-headed baby.
A steampunk 2-story Victorian house on wheels.
A military doctor's kit for treating VD.
An electric head-massager.
A collection of antique medicine bottles for things that are now illegal, including a brand of laudanum specifically for babies.
The mounted head of a hydrocephalic calf.

If you ever need some inspiration for steampunk/gothic/horror/fantasy, watch this show. Every episode has something you didn't know existed.

Shadow_Ferret
07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Sounds like you were watching just the other night.

These shows are interesting for the creepy clientele that come into the store.

Stiger05
07-09-2012, 11:47 PM
These shows are interesting for the creepy clientele that come into the store.

Agreed. I used to think I was a bit strange, then I watched that show and now I feel pretty normal.

There is some really cool stuff on there though...and some, well, oddities. Like the dude who paints with his own blood, or the lady who mummifies frogs...

You're right, though, Ms. Judy, tons of opportunities for inspiration! Especially from the steam punk folks who wander in.

MsJudy
07-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Agreed. I used to think I was a bit strange, then I watched that show and now I feel pretty normal.

Exactly. I'm really going to have to up my game if I'm going to be weird.

third person
07-10-2012, 04:48 AM
I have issues with how the show likes to pretend the "customers" are all strange and quirky and weird, when really that's pretty much how most of the people in that particular neighborhood are. Come to the west village in NYC, you'll see for yourself. That said, I have a mega crush on the shoplady Evan Michelson. She's adorable :D

MsJudy
07-10-2012, 07:03 AM
But isn't that the point? That there are places where quirky people and quirky objects can all find each other.

Lavern08
07-10-2012, 07:52 PM
I've been watching it on Saturday nights also.

I think Miss Wednesday (in San Francisco) is adorable too. :)

ExitTheKing
07-10-2012, 10:40 PM
I love this show. Caught it last year, liked it, went to school, forgot it existed. Then I saw the marathon they had on the other night. This show is awesome.