Physical Therapy for Stab Wound

S.A.Michel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
samichelwrites.wordpress.com
Scenario:
A 17 year old girl is pinned to the ground and stabbed in the abdomen/stomach area. (Very deliberate and, you could say, methodical? In other words, she is no position to fight back, so there's no rush). She is left by the attacker(s) and is soon after found by another person who manages to take her to where she can be treated (which entails surviving several hours).

The girl, incidentally, is a fighter (by which I mean, she's been training for years. She's very physically fit, and she relies heavily on this since it is her job).

(For the weapon I'm thinking something like this or this)

Now, I have read that as long as the abdominal aorta or inferior vena cava are avoided, the person will not bleed out in a matter of minutes. So assuming the knife avoided these and instead hit her liver or spleen and smaller vessels, what would treatment and recovery look like?
For example, I read a case about an 11-year-old boy who was stabbed and kept in a medically induced coma for at least two weeks. Would this be common practice?

My main question, though, is about the recovery and physical therapy following the stab wound. I've read that the muscles may still feel tight months after the wound, because internal healing takes considerably longer than exterior (that was probably me stating the obvious), so what kind of exercises/tools would be used during recovery?

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Treatment would be surgical repair (to reconnect the cut arteries and stitch lacerated intestine or other organs). Surgical wounds than need to be healed and this requires staying in the hospital for few days (probably less than a week). Antibiotcs are given for some time after surgery and if a surgeon thinks the intestine needs to rest completely, intravenous nutrition would be given.

Artificial coma is usually reserved for individuals in very poor condition and it's not a common approach.

After release from the hospital the main "physical therapy" is rest for few weeks...I don't know exactly.

Jessika

Registered
Reaction score
Did you answer this question satisfactorily? I am interested in this story.