• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Problems with Interruptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBeanie

Twice Attempted Writer
Registered
Reaction score
For a month or so I was easily able to pump out 1000+ words in one night, anyway I got stuck doing something quite stressful for a week that completely prevented me from even thinking about my writing. Since then (about 2 months ago) I can barely push out 300 and can't get my previously, common urge to write. It's incredibly frustrating and I'm unsure how to get back into the mood of things.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
From my own experience, I say be gentle with yourself. I am in the therapy and sometimes I lose a couple days of writing because I'm dealing with my issues. It's frustrating, but it is what it is. I figure getting stressed about it will not serve either my writing or my emotional healing.

Being gentle with myself does seem to help both.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Yes.

Obviously, the interruptions stop me from writing. This happens. (In my case an elderly parent in dementia stages who needs a lot of help AND an adult autistic-retarded son who constantly needs something). But in addition to this...

Is the anticipation of those interruptions. Lately I cannot look at a clock and wonder: how long can I go without him or her needing me? So I am on edge the entire time I am writing. Unless I have another adult with me (both the other adults in my household have full time jobs) OR I know my sister or a PCA is with my mother, I constantly am anxious.

(This is from a person who brags about writing every single day, rain or shine, holiday or not, sickness, wellness, etc...)

So it's not only the interruption that slows me down or stops me from writing - it's the worrying about 'when the heck is the next interruption coming?'

This is not an easy place to be for a writer. And I really don't know the solution. But I understand where you are coming from. That is, you might be like me, worrying about the 'next thing' to happen, or you're so frustrated from previous interruptions, you're frozen in place, unable to write.

Anyhow, just my take on things. It seems our problems could be similar.

Last edited:

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the previous two replies.

I also want to say that you did something stressful. You probably need to refill the well before you can be creative again. What recharges you? Walking in a forest? Listening to music? Taking a bubble bath? Going out dancing?

Cut yourself some slack and don't try to "pump out 1,000 words" right now. Write a little bit each day but also consciously do some things that recharge your batteries.

The urge to write will come back.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Seems like everyone else has said what I want to say. Be gentle with yourself. 300 words is good, regardless of what your prior output was. Even 10 words takes you that much closer to your goal so rejoice in that.

:e2arms: Have a hug.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely give yourself a break. Being stressed often makes it harder to write.

As for getting back on track: what motivated you to write in the first place? If you return to why you enjoyed writing, maybe you can get that feeling back again. But don't force yourself. Let the feeling come naturally.

jencarpy

Registered
Reaction score
Write as much as can fit in a 2x2 picture frame. Shut your computer and do it again tomorrow. Good luck. And one day write your story of caregiving and be an inspiration to countless readers that will find solace in your perseverance.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Don't be so hard on yourself...300 words is still something.

I have a hard time finding my creativity when I'm stressed, too. I usually write at home, but sometimes, when the creative juices just aren't flowing, I take my laptop and drive down to a secluded beach, soak in the peace and quiet, and write. Maybe a change of setting might help you.

Good luck.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
When I get blocked like this, I sometimes send what I have written to one of my beta readers and ask them to take a look at it. In these cases I am not looking for a detailed crit but reassurance that I am on the right track - what i am writing is working. A bit of positive feedback is a great spur to get more done (on several occasions, I got the feedback 'I want to know what happens next! You can't leave me on a cliffhanger!' :) ) and if you get some problems highlighted it again makes you feel better about the work once you fix them.

When I am in a creative slump, I usually try to find something else to do that is less creative but still essential. Yes to recharge and rest but also consider what needs to be done that is not writing new stuff - editing, for example, or revisions or critting someone else's work. It is all useful work that needs to be done. You can also use the time to catch up on reading. Again, for me reading can help to rekindle some desire to write.

Finally, try changing project. Start a new one - maybe write some shorts instead of adding to the novel?

John342

Registered
Reaction score
When I read the tittle of this post I figured someone was in my head today. I finished my first draft of my WIP today, but not before I got two hang-up phone calls and a call that assured me I had won two boarding passes for a cruise to the Bahamas.

Here I'm in the final scene, inches (as it was) to the finish line (the last line is always important to me.) And my creativity is moving from "they finally fall in love" to "Stop calling me you jerks!"

Anyway, I finished and already am in my first edit. The tittle struck me...

Adriana

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on vacation and having a hard time to maintain a writing schedule with children all around. I decided to read instead. Hopefully all the intensity surrounding me now will be inspirational in the near future. ;-)

ryanswofford

Registered
Reaction score
Just sit down and write. It shouldn't matter if you punch out 100 or 1,000 words in a single session. Thinking too hard about it will make you disappoint yourself. Just, for lack of a better phrase, go with the flow.

HollyRutan

Werewolves Kick Butt
Registered
Reaction score
I've found going somewhere different to write is super helpful. It is difficult to work at home - there's cats and husbands and laundry and dust bunnies, and who knows what all else to contend with.

Once or twice a week I go somewhere that has no obligations. Usually, that's the local game shop, but occasionally it might be a coffee shop or something similar. Then, my biggest worry is whether I should buy another cup of coffee. The reduced stress helps, a lot.

Sometimes it's simply that I don't like what I've written, and instead of acknowledging that the last 2500 words are rubbish and need to be changed, I stubbornly try to continue on the story line that isn't working. In the end, that wastes more time than throwing out some work. I keep a folder called "snips and scraps" for that stuff, just in case it's useful later. Try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.