Etiquette on following on a full

whirlaway

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'd appreciate your opinions as I'm not sure if there's a standard etiquette for this.

I've had a full out with an agent now for over 6 months. At the 6-month mark I followed up with the agent via email to make sure she received it and if so, if she'd made a decision on it. She didn't reply. Just before sending her the follow-up I checked that she is a) still alive, b) still at the same agency and c) has the same email address where she asked me to send the full.

So, for agents who've had the full for over 6 months and who ignore the initial nudge, would you send repeated nudges every 2 weeks or every month till you get a response?

Also, following the advice of the dearly missed Miss Snark I've been writing Novel #2 while querying Novel #1 (I have heard back from all of the other agents I've queried about Novel #1) and Novel #2 will be ready to query in about four months.

Agent Unresponsive is at one of those agencies that's a "query only one agent at this agency because we pass your query around" so when I go to query Novel #2, I have to make sure the status of Novel #1 has been resolved. If I query Novel #2 at this agency, I will be querying another agent there, not Agent Unresponsive.

So: Is it reasonable, if I get no responses to any nudges from Agent Unresponsive 10 months after sending her the full to send her an email saying, "Please consider Novel #1 withdrawn from your consideration."? And then move on? Or should I wait a full 12 months before pulling it? Or will withdrawing the full like that mean I'm shooting myself in the foot as far as that agency is concerned?

Your thoughts are welcome!

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Ick, you don't want to let your career be held hostage by Agent Unresponsive.

I don't see why you'd need to formally withdraw your first novel. The original query has presumably been shared around, but this is a new novel, new query.

And nudging every two weeks is probably pointless. If Agent Unresponsive has not responded to your first nudge, you can consider the status of that novel Resolved.

Query away whenever you like, wherever you like.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Miss Plum. I'd definitely just move on.