North and East of England, Be Well Today (Rainfall, Flooding)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Alessandra. I am in the East and it is very wet. Felt a bit strange to wake up to find that it is NOT raining. Yet. The river Waveney is not very far from my house and I have been checking flood warnings, but hope I am safe. This map shows clearly where flooding is expected, looks scary: http://www.shoothill.com/flood/

http://www.shoothill.com/flood/

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The heavy rain in some parts of the country is already affecting power lines. I'm waiting on word from a few people down south to see just how bad some of the flooding is...

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Thanks Alessandra. I am in the East and it is very wet. Felt a bit strange to wake up to find that it is NOT raining. Yet. The river Waveney is not very far from my house and I have been checking flood warnings, but hope I am safe. This map shows clearly where flooding is expected, looks scary: http://www.shoothill.com/flood/

http://www.shoothill.com/flood/

Yow.

I am some combination of horrified at the scope of things and delighted at the names of British Rivers ("River Wriggle including Chetnole and Yetminster!").

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
The names are great! In Norfolk there are the rivers Tas,Tat, Wissey, Stiffkey, Gadder and my favourite, the River Babingley.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
The names are great! In Norfolk there are the rivers Tas,Tat, Wissey, Stiffkey, Gadder and my favourite, the River Babingley.

How could you ignore the Tiffey?

For an area with flood warnings, this place is kind of, I don't know, dry.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
This weather can fuck off. I've had enough. Bring on the sunshine at some point before October.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
It's absolutely torrential here in Dorset. Cars stranded in floods.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I am some combination of horrified at the scope of things and delighted at the names of British Rivers ("River Wriggle including Chetnole and Yetminster!").

One hilariously-named local river is the Piddle, which has lent its name to Piddlehinton, Piddletrenthide, Puddletown, Affpuddle and Tolpuddle. :D

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
How could you ignore the Tiffey?

For an area with flood warnings, this place is kind of, I don't know, dry.

I would not ignore the Tiffey, but I did forget about it!
It was not dry on Thursday, it was bloody nasty and wet.
That's a martyr fine place.

(I defend my right to make woeful history-based puns.)

Groan!

Seun you sound so fed up I am not sure whether I should point out that even if it is wet it is warm. The weather, Seun, the weather. Try to focus!

Parametric aren't there villages called Little Piddle and Middle Piddle?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Seun you sound so fed up I am not sure whether I should point out that even if it is wet it is warm. The weather, Seun, the weather. Try to focus!

Bah. I'll cheer up when I don't have to turn lights on at 1.30pm if I want to see anything in my house.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Bah. I'll cheer up when I don't have to turn lights on at 1.30pm if I want to see anything in my house.

You really should move out of that subterranean catacomb.

Edit: Actually, you shouldn't. All horror writers should live in subterranean catacombs.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
You really should move out of that subterranean catacomb.

Edit: Actually, you shouldn't. All horror writers should live in subterranean catacombs.

I can't move out. My house is built over the Gates of Hell. The resale value is bound to increase.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
My house is built over the Gates of Hell.

I have a place like that...

Some random info coming through - some folks have been saying that their houses (in flood-prone areas) have been largely emptied in preparation for things getting worse, though the rainfall seems to have eased off. This doesn't mean that there will be trouble in store for them, merely that they have lost a sizable amount of their belongings before and don't intend to go through that again. There are peeps who haven't made any contact at all, so I'm getting rather anxious as to what is happening with them.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I can't move out. My house is built over the Gates of Hell. The resale value is bound to increase.

Given that Hell is a hot sort of place, and with all the rain we've had, you ought to be able to open a sauna.

It is raining here. Sigh...

And the worse thing? They may have to close the roof over Centre Court at Wimbledon this afternoon. And of course, a headline to make us wince -
"Flooding At Olympic Sailing Site"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-18759211

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I know there is a lot of flooding in Dorset, which is why I thought the headline particularly silly and insensitive. The sailing site is not the most important concern, the people who live in the area and whose lives have been changed by the floods are.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
There are artists who have lost thousands of pounds worth of paintings in the various floods in recent years, writers who have lost irreplaceable manuscripts, and people have died - the Olympics are the least of my concerns.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Some random info coming through - some folks have been saying that their houses (in flood-prone areas) have been largely emptied in preparation for things getting worse, though the rainfall seems to have eased off. This doesn't mean that there will be trouble in store for them, merely that they have lost a sizable amount of their belongings before and don't intend to go through that again.

For many it's not necessarily the current rain as the river levels upstream, so maybe they think there's worse to come. If I lived somewhere like Gloucester, I'd be getting the sandbags ready. (As it happens, I live a couple of hundred metres from a pumping station, so I figure I'm safe from anything but a North Sea surge.)

And the worse thing? They may have to close the roof over Centre Court at Wimbledon this afternoon.

I'm trying to work out how England yesterday successfully completed a one-day international against Australia in Chester-le-Street. Has Durham County Cricket Association mastered a Reverse Rain dance?