PDA

View Full Version : Do previously published non-fiction works help when soliciting an agent for a novel?

WeaselFire
07-07-2012, 04:18 AM
I'm published as a non-fiction author, does that credit help when soliciting an agent for a fiction work, specifically mystery novel?

On the one hand, I have publishing credits, can work with a publisher and (usually) meet deadlines. On the other hand, it's a different style of writing. In an agent's world, is writing the same as writing?

On an alternate not, does querying a series (and producing it) generate more interest in the mystery genre than a single book?

Thanks,

Jeff

melnve
07-07-2012, 10:28 AM
My non-fic editor says she thinks it will help, so I include it in my query letters. Since I have just trunked my first novel I'm guessing it didn't help that much, but I can't see that it would particularly harm either.

Old Hack
07-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Much depends on the sales of that non-fiction book, who it was published by, and when it was published.

Terie
07-07-2012, 11:44 AM
It doesn't 'prove' you can write a good novel, but it does prove that your writing is up to a publishable standard and that you have experience with the publishing process. I don't make a big deal about my NF credit and day job (tech writer), but for these reasons, I do list them in the bio paragraph of my query letters.

WeaselFire
07-08-2012, 04:44 PM
I do list them in the bio paragraph of my query letters.
Didn't think of that. Tasteful and appropriate, I like it.

Thanks,

Jeff

J.Reid
07-17-2012, 12:37 AM
Yes.

MattWriter
07-21-2012, 06:38 PM
It helps. I've had good conversations with agents and editors based on finding a mutual interest in my nonfiction topics (I have two books on zoology and one on space history).