Do previously published non-fiction works help when soliciting an agent for a novel?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm published as a non-fiction author, does that credit help when soliciting an agent for a fiction work, specifically mystery novel?

On the one hand, I have publishing credits, can work with a publisher and (usually) meet deadlines. On the other hand, it's a different style of writing. In an agent's world, is writing the same as writing?

On an alternate not, does querying a series (and producing it) generate more interest in the mystery genre than a single book?

Thanks,

Jeff

melnve

Registered
Reaction score
My non-fic editor says she thinks it will help, so I include it in my query letters. Since I have just trunked my first novel I'm guessing it didn't help that much, but I can't see that it would particularly harm either.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Much depends on the sales of that non-fiction book, who it was published by, and when it was published.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
It doesn't 'prove' you can write a good novel, but it does prove that your writing is up to a publishable standard and that you have experience with the publishing process. I don't make a big deal about my NF credit and day job (tech writer), but for these reasons, I do list them in the bio paragraph of my query letters.

MattWriter

Registered
Reaction score
It helps. I've had good conversations with agents and editors based on finding a mutual interest in my nonfiction topics (I have two books on zoology and one on space history).