PDA

View Full Version : Fascinating Viewpoint

One Monkey
07-06-2012, 02:31 PM
The Dead End of DIY Publishing - Boston Phoenix (http://thephoenix.com/Boston/arts/140931-self-published-novelists-%E2%80%93-the-rodney-dangerfields/?page=1#TOPCONTENT)

Highlights

JA Konrath Bashing
My top quote: "99.9 percent of the time [self-publishing is] not going to work out from a strictly economic standpoint."
Some wonderful examples of faulty logic throughout.
Overall tone of "hey, author... I'm on your side, now put lulu.com down and step away."
Complete lack of balance or perspective hidden under a thin disguise of having balance and perspective.

Overall I enjoyed it. Hope you guys do too.

quicklime
07-06-2012, 04:22 PM
so, what did you agree or disagree with? I didn't find it any more one-sided than a Konrath rant......

neither side is being served well, this is like getting your news solely from Al Franken or Glenn Beck

Katallina
07-06-2012, 04:52 PM
To each their own. I write because I love my characters and the stories / plots that are in my head. I plan to publish them because I want to share them with others. Do I intend to charge for them? Sure. Do I expect to get rich from them? No. I feel that the most dangerous thing any of us have to deal with is being honest with ourselves about our expectations.

To me this whole thing is one big adventure. If I can share my book with some people and have them walk away going "That was really interesting and unique." or "I really loved (insert character)." or "...when (insert event) happened." then I've done what I set out to do: (1) Write the best book I can. (2) Sell it at a reasonable price so it will show up in online retail channels. (3) Have people read and enjoy it.

Articles like this don't upset me too much because I don't actually feel they are speaking to me. I hope that makes sense. (I need sleep!)

Old Hack
07-06-2012, 05:44 PM
The Dead End of DIY Publishing - Boston Phoenix (http://thephoenix.com/Boston/arts/140931-self-published-novelists-%E2%80%93-the-rodney-dangerfields/?page=1#TOPCONTENT)

Highlights

JA Konrath Bashing

I don't see how any sort of "bashing" could possibly be a highlight of anything. A reasoned exploration might be. But a "bashing" suggests something negative and hysterical, and I don't see the value in that.

The article is no more misleading than most of Mr Konrath's blog posts; but it's nothing new. Articles like this--showing clear bias and agenda, coupled with misleading statistics and claims--are published every day of the week, arguing for both "sides" of the discussion.

I don't think there should be sides. I'm tired of the discussion. Each book has its own best route into print. Every author has preferences. No one should misrepresent the other side in order to promte their own opinions.

leahzero
07-06-2012, 05:58 PM
The article raises a few good points, but it's couched in the same kind of raving hostility JAK often indulges in.

Here's an example.

Newsflash: that movie-studio kind of setup where editors, designers, and fact-checkers all congregate in some magical place, already exists. It's called a publishing house. But let's ignore, for a moment, a nightmare world in which every talented editor and designer needs to become an independent contractor with no health benefits. What happens to the writer? Would this new system better-serve her? As her own publisher, she'll need to track down the appropriate professionals to work with her book. Moreover, she'll need to have the money to pay them. This new model sounds less like egalitarianism and more like the Bush administration, intent on outsourcing government jobs to private contractors. In both publishing models, somebody's still paying, and in self-publishing, that someone is the author. That doesn't seem especially meritocratic.

The point that publishing professionals may be forced to become independent contractors without health insurance (something Obamacare should address) is a good one, but, callous as it may sound, that's not a problem for writers...it's the industry's problem. Writers have been working without health insurance, retirement accounts, or stock options since the dawn of publishing.

The publishing industry has a PR problem. The New York houses most of them small, barely profitable holdings of faceless, multinational corporations are staffed almost exclusively with networked graduates of expensive colleges (anyone seen Girls?). The business of writing novels within the traditional publishing sphere has been ceded into the hands of MFA graduates and celebrity novelists like Pamela Anderson and Nicole Richie.

This, I think, is just laughably ignorant. This is NOT the problem with traditional publishing. There may be more English than business majors in the editorial departments, but the final decision still comes down to commercial factors, not artistic. Literary fiction is still a high-profile, low-profit endeavor. No one goes into it for money. More YA novels are earning six-figure advances than literary fiction. The top three spots of the NYTBL are currently occupied by romance novels.

His point about celebrity novels is valid, but it's buried in a seriously distorted picture of the industry overall ("shadowy cabal of Harvard graduates"...is this a Donna Tartt novel?).

Meh. It's just more snorting and huffing and pawing the ground.

amergina
07-06-2012, 06:01 PM
I really hate the whole Us vs. Them mentality. On both sides. Be informed, understand both processes--the positives and the negatives--and decide what's right for you.

I mean, I know folks think AW is anti self-publishing, but did you post this to see if we'd be all "Yeah! go! Woo!" about it? 'Cause that's kinda what it feels like.

G. Applejack
07-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Meh.

I don't like the cut of his jib.

*back-clicks*

Terie
07-06-2012, 06:14 PM
I mean, I know folks think AW is anti self-publishing, but did you post this to see if we'd be all "Yeah! go! Woo!" about it? 'Cause that's kinda what it feels like.

+1

Hey, Old Hack, how much would we need to pay you to start a thread called 'What other people say about self-publishing' where we could dump all these interminable threads into one place? :D

Honestly, when there is such a ton of expertise in both commercial and self-publishing right here, why do people keep posting links to what other people say?

Wouldn't it be better for everyone concerned if this section of AW was filled with AW members' questions and other AW members' answers? Why this non-stop flow of threads to rubbish that other people say?

Old Hack
07-06-2012, 06:28 PM
It's funny you should say that, Terie.

*knowing smile*

Perks
07-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Every time this comes up, I care less. That's bad. I'm developing a callous, which is not a good look. Somebody get me a cheese grater.

To the writers out there: do what you like, including armoring yourself with hype from either perspective. If it works for you, groovy! We'll party. If it doesn't, come tell us and we'll commiserate.

Best of luck to all comers! Now go make me a sammich.

One Monkey
07-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I didn't think much of the article, I thought it was tediously partisan.

I just wondered why people might write something like this. What difference does it make to anyone? Many writers are going to be disappointed no matter which path they take to put their work in front of an audience. Why would someone try to make out that one route was "better" than another?

In the article it actually does say that certain genre writers are finding their way a little easier in the world of self-publishing. It also says that literary fiction writers with weighty volumes to tout may find self-publishing more of a struggle. Why someone would then say that because of one particular literary fiction author's situation self-publishing is a complete waste of time "99.9% of the time", no less, just defeated me.

That's what fascinated me about the viewpoint.

Old Hack
07-06-2012, 08:24 PM
I didn't think much of the article, I thought it was tediously partisan.

I just wondered why people might write something like this. What difference does it make to anyone?

Exactly.

Many writers are going to be disappointed no matter which path they take to put their work in front of an audience. Why would someone try to make out that one route was "better" than another?

Yes; and I have no clue.

One route or another is almost always better, but so much depends on the book and the writer concerned that it's impossible to generalise.

Dani
07-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Weird. I'm the only one that thought the OP was being facetious?

Old Hack
07-06-2012, 10:18 PM
When someone comes along and implies that it's fun to watch someone get "bashed" (I really don't like that term) then I'm going to point out that I don't think it's funny no matter how they intend it.

Sara by the Sea
07-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Weird. I'm the only one that thought the OP was being facetious?

No. I did too. And I'm really not just saying that because you told me to back you up on AW arguments :tongue

Dani
07-06-2012, 10:54 PM
When someone comes along and implies that it's fun to watch someone get "bashed" (I really don't like that term) then I'm going to point out that I don't think it's funny no matter how they intend it.

That's because you're a sweet, warm soft lil ole teddy bear. =D

And, Sara, your work here is done! *grin*

shadowwalker
07-06-2012, 10:58 PM
:Shrug:

followed by

:sleepy:

WeaselFire
07-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I didn't find this to be a "fascinating viewpoint," nor did I actually find anything new to the story here. I have a feeling that nobody publishing these types of articles/opinions actually has all the facts. I'm not sure any one of us do. I think that, collectively, we kind of all do. But we all have different conclusions.

Some people see a glass as half empty.
Some people see a glass as half full.
Some people want to know who's been drinking from their glass.

The bottom line is that a glass is half full if you're filling it, half empty if you're draining it. It's a matter of language, not an outlook on life.

Jeff

Old Hack
07-06-2012, 11:52 PM
That's because you're a sweet, warm soft lil ole teddy bear. =D

LOCK THREAD!

Oh, hang on.

Dani
07-07-2012, 12:41 AM
You know it's true!

(Although, conversely, I haven't worked up the courage to send you my book for review...)