Catching up thread

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
As so called Mod I would love to get a better idea of who is in here. So please feel free to pipe up with answers to these:

1) name/pseudonym
2) Genres written (e.g. romantica, non-romance erotica, letters, sex ed non-fic and articles, horrotica...)
3) Anything you'd like to say abotu yourslef
4) Are you seeking publication, taking courses, writing for yourslef and partner, published (e-pub, small or large press, online, subscription, tailored stories?)
5) What are you favourite erotic authors, magazines and websites.
6) What could I do to make this forum more fun, or more useful, to you--and which is more important?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
1) Emily Veinglory

2) erotic romance (fantasy paranormal) horrotica, poetry, non-fiction

3) Some how I ended up as Mod here. Hmmm. I am a Kiwi living in the US. Full time university researcher.

4) Definitely seeking publication. Mainly erotic romance e-books so far with a few print anthologies--seeking to get a novel on bookshelves in major chains.

5) For erotic/romanctic MM online--, Forbidden Fruit, Velvet Mafia, Jack

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
1) Poppy (don't really have a pen name for my erotica...yet)

2) I mostly write poetry and greeting card ideas. I'm trying/hoping to break into some romance and erotica markets soon. That's my goal for this year. To stop talking about it and just do it.

3) My main problem right now is not being able to "flesh out" my ideas. They're in my head, but when I go to put them on paper...I got nothing. I'm so used to writing shorter stuff, it's like my brain can't grasp a story longer than one page. Practice helps though, and I've noticed that the more I write, the more I write. :)

4) My ultimate goal is publication. Mostly for poems and short stories right now. I might try for a full-length book or e-book later.

5) I don't know that I have a favorite, I usually just browse around the web and read whatever strikes my fancy.

6) Um, not sure. You list markets and such and bring up interesting and important topics. Main problem lies with me getting off my you-know-what. I'm getting there though, slowly, but surely.

Sorry for being a lurker and not participating in this forum that much, just don't have anything to contribute yet. I've already set a goal for myself to complete one erotic short story and one erotic poem before the end of January so we'll see how that turns out.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hi there -- :) :)

Let me know how that erotic poem thing goes. I have a few and even had one accepted but the magazine folded before it went to print. So I could sue a market brainstorming session on poetry.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
Alrighty here I go.

1) name/pseudonym

Kristin Battestella-remember it well! ;) I've thought about a pen name before, but I like my real name the best. Suggestions? :D

2) Genres written

Mostly science fiction and horror, with some childrens and humor mixed in. :popcorn: Vein knows my new dabbling in erotica. For gas money I write a local news beat and opinion column. :Jump:

3) Anything you'd like to say about yourself

Uh, dunno really. Ask me a question. :whip:

4) Are you seeking publication, taking courses, writing for yourself and partner, published (e-pub, small or large press, online, subscription, tailored stories?)

Totally seeking publication on anything and everything anywhere. :Trophy:

me? :Wha:

6) What could I do to make this forum more fun, or more useful, to you--and which is more important?

I like it just the way it is. I came in out of nowhere and was loved!

:PartySmil

katnip2127

Catching up, or rather speaking up

In response to Veinglory's "Catching up thread."

Err, I'm new here.
My name is Catherine, or Cat, Pseudonym, same, so its not that pseudo actually.

I write erotica, horrotica, humor erotica and humor without erotica, both for me and for publication. Though, the actual return is still microscopic.

Although I have lots of erotic anthologies, I can't claim a fave author. Guess I have to read more, wink.

The forum seems friendly. That seems enough to go on, for me.

Cat.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1) name/pseudonym
Actually, 'Maryn' is my favorite of the pseudonyms under which my erotica has appeared.
2) Genres written (e.g. romantica, non-romance erotica, letters, sex ed non-fic and articles, horrotica...)
I write non-romance erotica, including but not limited to fetish material--for the ones I understand, anyway.
I know I'm fairly good--but I hesitate to submit.
4) Are you seeking publication, taking courses, writing for yourslef and partner, published (e-pub, small or large press, online, subscription, tailored stories?)
I started writing erotica for myself only, donated a few stories to online friends, which were well enough received that I got brave enough to submit a few, all of which sold. Now I seek royalty-paying or other paid publication--but only print, not e-publications or online sales. Oh, and BTW, I took a very popular course on writing erotica--and thought I could have taught it better.
I like the erotica of Anne Rice/A.N. Roquelaure, Sara Adamson/Laura Antinou, and Amerantha Knight. I'm sure there must be good erotica at some websites, but most of it is such poor quality that I've stopped looking for it.
Hard question. I'm more interested in utility than fun, but not adverse to fun either! Things I'd find helpful are discussions about blending this 'forbidden' writing in with living a normal, G-rated life; markets 'harder' than romantic erotica; meaningful information and discussion about print vs. e-pub... I'll add other ideas when and if I get them.

And let me add that I'm glad that this site, unlike any other writing site, acknowledges erotic writing. Where else can we swap shop talk, eh?

Maryn, whose idea file is getting downright tumescent...

Noob

Registered
Reaction score
1) name/pseudonym
*nothing published yet, so who cares? :)

*written a fantasy novel for kids/young adult, i soon gone try publish. Earlyer i wrote mostly romatic cliss *s*

*i am a noob when it comes to writing :)

*Dreaming of been published yes. If i manage i gone donate half of the royalty income to a children fondation. And travel around and make fun for kids at hospitals. (for free offcourse)

*None really. Only read it when i travel. Otherwise i prefer to "live" it... he he
(i am more of a krim/fantasy/sci-fi girl when it comes to reading

*First of all i want to say this forum is the best i have found out there.
If its someting i would like to se more of, its maybe some kopies of contracts (to look at the differences) - and even more feedback (if possible) about who manage to give out what, How much they sell of their books. And all in all more stories that can bring a hope to us all. That we see ppl manage. Specially that new writers make it into the cold hard publisher world :)

(sorry for sucky english)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Noob, that's a good point you've made at the end--not the sucky English part, but just before.

Nobody's contract or income is any of my business, of course, but like anybody else who writes erotica, I'm interested in hearing about pay rates and sales figures.

In general, the short story erotica market pays poorly, IMO. That's what I've sold--no novels yet--and I gotten anywhere from $15 (US) to one-half cent per word, which takes approximately forever to add up to anything, even with shameless padding.

Compared to pay rates in my other genre, this is terrible, and the main reason I stopped writing it for sale.

Maryn, hoping this helped start a discussion

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I write short stories only for the promotion value. The only useful money I earn is from novella ebooks whose steady sales pay some of my monthy bills. Placed with the better epublishers they can be relied upon to yeild 3c a word or more.

mreddin

Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
I write short stories only for the promotion value. the only useful money I earn if from novella ebooks whose steady sales pay some of my monthy bills. Placed with the better epublishers they can be relied upon to yeild 3c a word or more.

What kind of ebook sales figures are you seeing, if you don't mind me asking?
Does the income justify your time spent writing them? Who are the epublishers your using currently?

Mike

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Publishers don't really like specific figures to be posted widely. These days a good novella of mine will sell maybe 100 copies in the first month--it does vary a lot. It then settles down to a lower monthly figure, maybe 30-50, with new peaks when it is released to distributors like amazon or fictionwise.

My rule of thumb is that 3c a word is good--most of my novellas these days 'make good'. I am also only in the early stages so I tend see better sales with each new novella (unless I make a bad choice of some sort, like genre) as my names gets more widely known and a few people are actually waiting for new releases.

Currenlty ebooks are doing well enough that they are probably stopping me from pursuing print opportunities like I first intended. *But* I am nowhere near earning a living. I make about 10% of my income from writing and the rest in a day job.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what my pen name will be... As for genre..well I like Erotica as well as Mystery and Thriller... :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Veinglory, what kind of word count are you running for the enovellas?

Maryn, curious

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Currently 20,000-35,000 but I am aiming for 40,000 and up for the next one as the cover price goes up around that point.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then by all means, go for 40,000!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am working my way up to novels and the print market--but with an average of an hour a day to write that will meaning getting my writing speed upa bit to avoid having big gaps between releases (which makes the income much more irregular).

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1) Bliss (aka Bliss DuJour)
2) erotica, letters, sex ed non-fic
4) I'm seeking publication and I have one published poem (e-pub). I currently have: one poem subbed and waiting for a response and one short subbed to an anthology.
5) I don't have any favorite erotic authors, magazines, or websites but I do read a wide variety of all of the above.
6) I think fun and useful are equally important.
smile.gif
I'm not sure what you could do to make either happen... Maybe we can all participate a little more by posting more often?