• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

My bad guy's POV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csorensen

YA Writer, Lover of Common Sense
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.csorensenwrite.com
For the YA novel I'm currently working on (which is 3rd person), I'm trying to keep the fact that the bad guy is, well, the bad guy. There's hints, but there are few options until about 60-70% into the book when it's revealed.

Anyway, the scene I'm on now, about 20% into the book, it's a scene that could be from his POV (and would add alot if it were), but if I did so it would completely give him away.

Can I write in his POV while withholding information/his motives (which seems like cheating, since I would be forcing myself to do it and haven't done that the rest of the book) or do I just change the POV for the scene to another character (which is completely possible).

Thoughts?

smellycat6464

Registered
Reaction score
hmmmm, to be honest, I think youre the best judge of this. As an outsider who only knows a paragraphs worth of your story, Id feel wrong to tell you what to do.

however, as a general preference, the best villains are the non-evil ones. poeple are human, and rarely think "how can I be EEEEEEVIIILLLLL today!" they think theyre right, and everyone else is evil.

keep that in mind:)

and also, having the villain come as a shock could be interesting too, as is seeing the world from their perspective. try to balance these things together :)

csorensen

YA Writer, Lover of Common Sense
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.csorensenwrite.com
however, as a general preference, the best villains are the non-evil ones. poeple are human, and rarely think "how can I be EEEEEEVIIILLLLL today!" they think theyre right, and everyone else is evil.

keep that in mind:)

and also, having the villain come as a shock could be interesting too, as is seeing the world from their perspective. try to balance these things together :)

smelly - that's great! You would think I would have thought of that, but the way you worded it, "seeing the world from their perspective"...that's awesome. He doesn't think he's a villian - he's not evil/maliscious - he is more crazy, changing the world, it's for the good of the people villain-y.

That's great - thanks so much for posting!

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
The option that comes to my mind first is maybe you should try both POVs and see which one works best in the flow of the overall story? Obviously it would be more work but I think it could help give you a better idea of whether or not showing more of your hand than you might want to is worth it.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Write the scene from his POV but keep his thoughts away from whatever subject you don't want to reveal. If you do it well enough, the reader shouldn't feel cheated.

Ellielle

needs something clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
Guess I'm alone in this so far, but I'd be worried about feeling cheated. If you can write it and naturally avoid the information that would reveal that the POV character is the villain, go for it. But don't leave giant gaps in the POV's characters thoughts, or have him refer to things with euphemisms or something, because saying it straight will give him away. I've read way too many pieces where it's obvious that the author is withholding information just for the sake of being all "nah nah nah I know something you don't" and not writing the way the POV character would actually think about/experience the information.

So, just, be careful. It certainly doesn't hurt to try writing it in the villain's POV, though, and offering it up to critiquers to hear their opinions.

WinterDusk14

Non-savvy tech writer
Registered
Reaction score
In China Mieville's The Scar. The author did this and it worked really well. He didn't reveal anything that it's the main villain, but gave hints who it was. What he did that made it interesting though, "what the hell is planning to do?"

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I think you'd be able to do it. You could not refer to him by name while referring to other main characters by name to make a distinction. However, like smellycat said, give him a reason for doing what's he's doing. You could try referring to him as a name that the audience and/or no other characters know him by. Just try not to mix the two names up before "The Big Reveal".

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I did something like this in my first WIP. I didn't want to reveal who my antagonist was until the last chapter, but felt his POV could really add depth. So I never addressed him by name or described his appearance, but showed you what he did/thought of my MC. I say go for it!:)

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
And there are characters (and people irl) who like being bad, enjoy being bad, and love fooling others into thinking they're really not so bad.

(Am imagining Ted Bundy atm.)

I wrote a bad person who thought he was just helping everyone out, but weird narcissist-he, he was only in it for himself.

The important thing is to write a well-rounded 'bad person,' who has a personality as shiny-real as any of the 'good persons.'

Status
Not open for further replies.