PDA

View Full Version : The Words: Upcoming Movie about a Novelist

Darkwing
07-05-2012, 07:24 PM
I was out with some friends to see Magic Mike the other day, and the trailer for this movie came up:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1840417/

It's called The Words, and from what I saw in the trailer it seems to be about this:

A man has wanted to write all his life, but "sometimes the words just won't come." He's written some sort of manuscript (I got the impression he was trying to break in, but the IMDB says he is "at the height in his literary career"), and he goes to a Big Bad Literary Agency, where the offices are like the Ritz and the Big Bad Literary Agent sits behind a big desk and says "In this market I just can't find a place for this sort of work." So he gets all depressed and goes home and pushes his manuscript off a desk dramatically, and then finds some sort of manuscript in a trunk. And I guess he plagiarizes it? And then he gets super famous and happy until the repercussions start coming back around.

And also, there's lots of weird shots indicating that maybe his life follows his protagonist's, or follows/mirrors whatever he's plagiarized? I'm really not sure. That part of the trailer confused me.

At any rate, I'm REALLY super skeptical about this. I kind of want to watch it to see how much they've got wrong, but then I might just end up really annoyed that they're perpetuating all that silly junk that people already believe about publishing. I suppose I could be pleasantly surprised, but the trailer doesn't get my hopes up in that direction. ("OhmaiGAWD he wrote a novel that WON'T SELL! It's the biggest blow to his career! How will he EVER go on?")

Anyway, as soon as I saw the trailer, I knew I'd want to see what you guys thought of it. So, thoughts?

leahzero
07-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Just watched the trailer.

I'm sure the portrayal of the publishing industry is going to be lolfail (the glitz! the glamor!), but the rest of the movie looks pretty damn good. Excited to see this.

Raventongue
07-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't espect much from this movie.

J.S.F.
07-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Wasn't there a movie recently called 'Ghostwriter'? I haven't seen it but a friend mentioned it to me, something about ghostwriting for a famous but not-liked media star? Not sure of the plot and I think my friend said it starred Timothy Dalton.

The trailer for The Words sounds interesting but as for how the publishing industry really is portrayed--and what it really is as I'm a newb to all this--you got me.... OO

Channy
07-06-2012, 04:57 AM
It kind of looks like the guy from the olden times is the one who wrote the book he plagiarized.. they're both very similar people and experienced the same thing, same lifestyles, and like (Bradley Cooper's character), he couldn't make his novel work in that era and he just trunked it.. thats when he finds it... somewhere? Someone probably owned it as an artifact, a relative of sorts and he just up and took it and thats how the plagiarism is catching up to him, because someone knows he took it.

Thats my thought anyway. It looks interesting, I'll give it a go.

Celia Cyanide
07-06-2012, 06:35 AM
At any rate, I'm REALLY super skeptical about this. I kind of want to watch it to see how much they've got wrong, but then I might just end up really annoyed that they're perpetuating all that silly junk that people already believe about publishing.

Just wondering...what about the trailer makes you think this?

I suppose I could be pleasantly surprised, but the trailer doesn't get my hopes up in that direction. ("OhmaiGAWD he wrote a novel that WON'T SELL! It's the biggest blow to his career! How will he EVER go on?")

What I got from it is that he is failing as a writer, and he can't support himself. That is kind of a big deal, actually.

Toothpaste
07-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Just watched it, good cast but very cheesy trailer. Mostly though: What does Dennis Quaid have to do with any of it?

Darkwing
07-07-2012, 03:54 AM
Just wondering...what about the trailer makes you think this?

I'm getting the glamorizing vibe from this. Perhaps I should make it clear that I'm unsure they're going to get it all wrong, that perhaps they could get it right and surprise me, but my hopes aren't up? I don't really think I can justify why I think they'll get it wrong, just that I get the feeling.

What I got from it is that he is failing as a writer, and he can't support himself. That is kind of a big deal, actually.

Perhaps I didn't understand something. I really thought that he was an aspiring writer. The way the trailer presented things gave me the impression that he's trying to break into publishing and doesn't manage to until he finds something and plagiarizes it. In that case, I really can't sympathize with him because he seems like he's being a special snowflake. I mean, it's common sense that if you're not in a financial situation to write full time, then you need a day job to support yourself. It's also common sense that you may write two, three, maybe even five or more novels until you've got something ready for primetime.

Now if it's an already established writing career that he's trying to hold onto, then you're absolutely right. That is kind of a big deal. He still seems like a special snowflake to me. But at least that level of pain makes more sense.

It's just in my nature to be suspicious about it until I've got proof otherwise. In my experience, Hollywood often sacrifices accuracy in order to create hype.

Celia Cyanide
07-07-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm getting the glamorizing vibe from this. Perhaps I should make it clear that I'm unsure they're going to get it all wrong, that perhaps they could get it right and surprise me, but my hopes aren't up? I don't really think I can justify why I think they'll get it wrong, just that I get the feeling.

What is it you think they are going to get wrong? I'm not trying to be arguementative, I'm just wondering. What kind of misconceptions about the publishing industry do you think will be reinforced by this?

Perhaps I didn't understand something. I really thought that he was an aspiring writer. The way the trailer presented things gave me the impression that he's trying to break into publishing and doesn't manage to until he finds something and plagiarizes it. In that case, I really can't sympathize with him because he seems like he's being a special snowflake. I mean, it's common sense that if you're not in a financial situation to write full time, then you need a day job to support yourself. It's also common sense that you may write two, three, maybe even five or more novels until you've got something ready for primetime.

Well, yes it is, but the fact still remains that there are many, many people like this. It's a perfectly believable character.