PDA

View Full Version : Jack Reacher

Shadow_Ferret
07-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Saw a promo for a Jack Reacher movie, the character in Lee Child's thriller series. I didn't even know they were going to make a movie based on him.

But Tom Cruise. Seriously? No one taller was available?

Tom Cruise. Isn't that where the author should say, "funny, really, but who do you really envision playing jack, who is 6'5" with a 50" chest?"

lorna_w
07-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Yeah, that news, when I heard it, was disturbing and off-pissing. Tom Cruise beating up three bikers at once? I think my two-year-old grand niece might be able to take Tom Cruise. I've given it some thought and can't come up with a great Reacher. Maybe David Morse? I thought. Or some big black actor would be closer than Tom Cruise. Besides, Reacher (the one I carry in my head) is powerfully masculine. Cruise ain't.

Shadow_Ferret
07-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Off the top of my head I can't think of any Reacher-like actors. Therefore I would have chosen an unknown. Is Tom Cruise's name still a box office draw? Otherwise I can't think why they'd choose him. Unless he's the producer and backIng it.

Jcomp
07-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Is Tom Cruise's name still a box office draw?

It still holds weight, particularly for action movies that are marketed well enough. The only tall, legitimately bankable action star I can think of is Hugh Jackman.

lorna_w
07-06-2012, 12:03 AM
what about that guy from Rome, Ray Stephenson? A little young, but he might work. (It's a done deal, and of course no one is listening to us, lol, but I'd rather guess at impossibilities than think about the reality.)

Shadow_Ferret
07-06-2012, 12:31 AM
It still holds weight, particularly for action movies that are marketed well enough. The only tall, legitimately bankable action star I can think of is Hugh Jackman.
I find that funny. Jackman plays a short comicbook superhero and Cruise will play a tall fiction hero.

Cyia
07-06-2012, 01:21 AM
How old is Reacher supposed to be? Tyler Perry's 6'5" as is Vince Vaughn. Alexander Skaarsgard's in that neighborhood, too.

Personally, my pick would be Adam Baldwin. He may not have a track record as a leading man, but he's at least 6'4" and would make a believable former marine. (The Firefly fanbase would turn up to see "Jayne" in a movie.)

Wisteria Vine
07-06-2012, 01:47 AM
what about that guy from Rome, Ray Stephenson? A little young, but he might work. (It's a done deal, and of course no one is listening to us, lol, but I'd rather guess at impossibilities than think about the reality.)

Ray Stephenson would be a great Reacher, even though he looks nothing like him in the books. Tom Cruise is a joke as Reacher.

Mike O'Hearn the bodybuilder/actor might be good for stature, but he can't act worth spit and he's a relative nobody. But he looks like Reacher.

Maybe one of the Hemsworth boys - the guy who played Thor in the Avengers might do in a pinch.

(And I'd like to be doing the pinching!)

kikazaru
07-06-2012, 01:51 AM
Cruise is horribly wrong for Reacher.

Reacher is described as huge and rugged looking, not a pip squeak like Cruise is. I think that Liam Neeson would have made a great Reacher, he's got the height and features (I think at one point he was a boxer) or perhaps Daniel Craig.

PS I watched the trailer, and while a well done movie can make you suspend your disbelief, I could not make myself believe that Cruise was Reacher - not even close.

ladyleeona
07-06-2012, 03:07 AM
How old is Reacher supposed to be? Tyler Perry's 6'5" as is Vince Vaughn. Alexander Skaarsgard's in that neighborhood, too.

Personally, my pick would be Adam Baldwin. He may not have a track record as a leading man, but he's at least 6'4" and would make a believable former marine. (The Firefly fanbase would turn up to see "Jayne" in a movie.)

I might be getting the books mixed up, but I think he's supposed to be in his thirties.

TC as Reacher drives me insane. The hollywood clout he brings is supposedly golden, but I'm not so sure. Most comments I see in Lee Child's fbook newsfeed (from his posts about the movie) aren't so glowing.

TC can't pull off tough former Army MP. Not one who's supposed to be physically imposing. Even his voice seems wrong to me (which very may well be because I love those books, but still.) I'll still go see it but color me a harsh critic. It's going to take a lot to change my mind.

lorna_w
07-06-2012, 03:10 AM
^ knew it wouldn't be long before she came in here! ;)

ladyleeona
07-06-2012, 03:12 AM
^ knew it wouldn't be long before she came in here! ;)

You knows it ;).

lorna_w
07-06-2012, 03:13 AM
We need to start a group: writers who want to have Jack Reacher's paper babies.

ladyleeona
07-06-2012, 03:17 AM
We need to start a group: writers who want to have Jack Reacher's (of the non-Tom-Cruise-variety) paper babies.

Fixed that for ya.

heyjude
07-06-2012, 03:27 AM
We talked about this (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216751) a while ago in MTS; no one could imagine Cruise as Reacher. Willing suspension of disbelief doesn't go that far for most of us.

DarthPanda
07-06-2012, 04:11 AM
Somebody just needs to stuff Tom Cruise in a shoebox and send him to Xenu. I'm so tired of that dude. He had to have bought his way into that role or something.

There are so many actors that could've fit the bill so much better. Although to be honest I'd rather see Danny Devito get the part than ol' Tom...
ANYBODY. Josh Holloway, Hugh Jackman, Gerard Butler, Alexander Skarsgard... actually that other guy from True Blood, Joe Manganiello (sp?) is 6'5" in real life. Paul Bettany. Richard-HolyHotDamn-Armitage is 6'2", and they've got him playing a gee-dee DWARF.

*headdesk*

It's kinda like when they cast Keanu Reaves to play (snarky, blond, scruffy, British) John Constantine in that abortion of a Hellblazer movie. Tim Roth was BORN to play that role. GOD%$#*ING*&%^

I need a nerve pill now.

DarthPanda
07-06-2012, 04:15 AM
Willing suspension of disbelief doesn't go that far for most of us.

Willing, schmilling. Suspension of disbelief wouldn't go that far if you forced it at gunpoint. :D

Chumplet
07-06-2012, 04:28 AM
Reacher: Tall. Mysterious. Doesn't talk much. Kick-ass fighter. Silent and deadly. Tom Cruise: Short. Big teeth. Outspoken. Talks too much. Jumps on sofas. Control freak. Freak.

Somebody must have slept with somebody to get him that role. It. Will. Not. Work.

Cyia
07-06-2012, 04:29 AM
I went and watched the trailer to see if it looks promising (I've never read one of the Reacher novels, but I've seen the discussions about the character.) and honestly, it looks like a fan vid put together for YouTube.

Mix Mission: Impossible with Days of Thunder (for the cars) and a little Collateral, and you'd end up with something similar.

lorna_w
07-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Saw the trailer; thanks for the heads up.

:Soapbox::cry::rant::guns::rant::e2faint:

That little voice! yikes!

Note to casting director: hire tiny thugs next time

movie tag line: "Remember, you asked for it." But I didn't!

Now must go

:e2shower:

SirOtter
07-06-2012, 05:33 AM
Note to casting director: hire tiny thugs next time

That occurred to me, too, but then I realized it wouldn't help. We all know Cruise is about half Reacher's size, and no amount of forced perspective will change our knowledge that he's just too damn short. It'd be like trying to convince ourselves The Terror of Tiny Town was a conventional western because the actors are all riding Shetland ponies. It just won't work.

I get why Lee doesn't kvetch about it, but I feel free to do so. This is a disaster for anyone who has read the books. Those who haven't won't care, I suppose, unless one day they realize along with the rest of us what might have been, and wasn't.

Shadow_Ferret
07-06-2012, 05:45 AM
The Terror of Tiny Town. A remake starring Tom Cruise. Perfect.

You know, part of me can't help but think of short actors, like Alan Ladd. He'd stand on boxes to kiss his leading ladies or supporting actors would walk in trenches next to him.

But he pulled it off. He looked big on screen. You never thought of how short he is while watching "Shane."

But Tom Cruise, he just ain't got that kind of charisma.

eggs
07-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Just watched the trailer. It was like watching Alvin Chipmunk play tough. It's a major casting mistake as it alienates the reader fanbase AND the the Cruise fanbase. People like Cruise in fun, smart-arsey roles where lots of stuff blows up, he flashes his trademark grin at regular intervals and performs cartoonish stunts and acts of violence. To give Cruise his due, he's good at those kinds of roles. This is not one of those kinds of roles.

SirOtter
07-06-2012, 06:02 AM
You know, part of me can't help but think of short actors, like Alan Ladd. He'd stand on boxes to kiss his leading ladies or supporting actors would walk in trenches next to him.

Ladd also had a deep voice, instead of Cruise's hamster-on-helium squeak. I could almost see Ladd doing Reacher, if the film were shot in a film noir style, and in such a way that it didn't show him surrounded by normal sized people. Unlike the fight scene in the trailer.

And if Cruise hot-wired that Chevy, I may be obliged to do something anti-social. It is made quite clear in the books that Reacher has no idea how to hot-wire a car.

screenscope
07-13-2012, 04:29 PM
I actually liked the trailer; it 'felt' like the world of the novels. I've read all the Reacher books and Cruise is about as far as you can get from the character, but I'll wait until I see the movie to pass judgement.

Lavern08
06-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Hubby and I watched it on demand last night.

We haven't read the Reacher books, but we both thought:

Hmmmm, Liam Neeson would have been perfect for this role. ;)

onesecondglance
04-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Resurrecting this one...

I got around to watching this last night. I've read One Shot and was surprised at how closely it stuck to the book - rare in a movie adaptation. They cut out a few secondary characters, as you'd expect, but other than that, it was a pretty straight adaptation.

So on the subject of Mr Cruise... I'm a bit of a fan of him as an actor. Don't like his personal life, but he's made a lot of films I really liked. He was pretty good in this, and for large parts pulled it off. Certainly I can go along with him beating the hell out of goons, and he's been taught how to hold a gun well; plus I could buy him driving like that far more than I could a 6'+ giant, who, if we're to believe what the books tell us, would probably snap the gear lever off when he tries to downshift. So there are some pros there.

There are cons, though, as well. Most of those are as a result of just how extreme the books make Reacher. Plot elements like "finding a murderer who could kill with one punch" only work with a cartoonishly-big guy, and while they tried to dress it up as "Cruise isn't big but he looks mean", it still doesn't work as a beat outside the hyper-realism of the books. Likewise, Reacher has this noirish-seriousness in the books, and on film Cruise just sounds silly delivering them. That's because they are silly, though, and massively OTT - again, in the cartoon world of the books, it's fine, but unless you have a cartoon actor it doesn't work (e.g. Vin Diesel - no, he's not Reacher, but you get the idea of the kind of actor I mean).

If you haven't read the books, it's a solid, almost 70's-esque crime thriller, so I'd recommend it on that basis. If you have read the books, and you're wedded to the idea of a blonde giant who can stop fights just by standing up, I'd give it a miss.