Raised or rose?

KillingAurora

...with fire.
Registered
Reaction score
Which one do I use in this sentence?

My voice (rose/raised) an octave and it became increasingly difficult to think straight.

I had 'rose' but Word told me I was wrong. 'Raised' just doesn't seem right to me...

What do you guys think? Thanks :)

Drey of Boon

The Boon abides
Registered
Reaction score
Rose.

You raised your voice. Your voice rose.

Much as I love word it's grammatical suggestions are pretty spotty.

KillingAurora

...with fire.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate the quick reply too :D

F.E.

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Which one do I use in this sentence?

My voice (rose/raised) an octave and it became increasingly difficult to think straight.

I had 'rose' but Word told me I was wrong. 'Raised' just doesn't seem right to me...

What do you guys think? Thanks :)
Hmm, that's interesting. (The issue is similar to that of LIE vs LAY, which can involve a usage of intransitive LAY--where the current "preferred" usage is transitive LAY.)

The short answer: What the other posters had already said, and what you also had thought. :)
And now, to confuse you ...

Usually, RAISE is used as a transitive (needing an object) and RISE is used as an intransitive (no object, but often will involve using an adjunct):
e.g. I raised my arms over my head. (transitive RAISE)
e.g. The bird rose from its branch. (intransitive RISE)​

But there are found some usages of intransitive RAISE (lacking an object).

If you are writing a paper or something for a formal or somewhat formal register, then you'd probably want to stick to the "preferred" usages as given in general dictionaries. ... But if you're writing fiction, or even reading it, then you might be interested in that intransitive RAISE, and so, perhaps consult a usage dictionary so you'll end up feeling comfortable. :)
As to Microsoft Word: I'm guessing their software got confused, and it thought that your example was providing an object--"an octave"--to that main verb "rose", and so, it complained since it considered "rose" to be intransitive. For an experiment, temporarily insert the word "up" in there and see if that makes Word happy:
My voice rose up an octave and it became increasingly difficult to think straight.
maybe that'll help Word out, maybe it won't.
In a dictionary is:
• (of a voice) become higher in pitch : my voice rose an octave or two as I screamed.
Their example seems to be familiar. :D

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Grammar check

Just to see for myself, I checked Word, and you are right - it flags "rose" as wrong. That tells me that the Grammar Check component is worthless.

By the way, the dictionary is your friend. You can check these issues in a good dictionary, which will list the principal parts of irregular verbs like rise (rise, rose, risen).

Also, the best money that I ever spent was about $45 to buy Merriam-Webster's 3rd International Dictionary on CD-ROM. You can install the dictionary on your computer (i.e., you don't have to keep the disc handy). Although I am an excellent speller and a reliable grammarian, I sometimes encounter words in other people's manuscripts that I need to check.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Just to see for myself, I checked Word, and you are right - it flags "rose" as wrong. That tells me that the Grammar Check component is worthless.

Why, because it made one mistake? If one mistake makes something worthless, we'd all be in that boat.

Grammar check isn't really wrong here, it just has a missing bit of needed info.

Spell check occasionally screws up, as well, and for the same reason.

KillingAurora

...with fire.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, that's interesting. (The issue is similar to that of LIE vs LAY, which can involve a usage of intransitive LAY--where the current "preferred" usage is transitive LAY.)

The short answer: What the other posters had already said, and what you also had thought. :)
And now, to confuse you ...

Usually, RAISE is used as a transitive (needing an object) and RISE is used as an intransitive (no object, but often will involve using an adjunct):
e.g. I raised my arms over my head. (transitive RAISE)
e.g. The bird rose from its branch. (intransitive RISE)
But there are found some usages of intransitive RAISE (lacking an object).

If you are writing a paper or something for a formal or somewhat formal register, then you'd probably want to stick to the "preferred" usages as given in general dictionaries. ... But if you're writing fiction, or even reading it, then you might be interested in that intransitive RAISE, and so, perhaps consult a usage dictionary so you'll end up feeling comfortable. :)
As to Microsoft Word: I'm guessing their software got confused, and it thought that your example was providing an object--"an octave"--to that main verb "rose", and so, it complained since it considered "rose" to be intransitive. For an experiment, temporarily insert the word "up" in there and see if that makes Word happy:
My voice rose up an octave and it became increasingly difficult to think straight.
maybe that'll help Word out, maybe it won't.
In a dictionary is:

Their example seems to be familiar. :D

Yep... That just confused me :p :D I'm going to smile, nod, and change it back to 'rose' :p

Thanks to everyone that offered help! :D

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
This is a tautology in the sense you can only raise or rise upwards.

I think the issue here is whether it should be 'rose' or 'rose by'. I've heard both used, although I have a feeling the latter is correct in formal use.

F.E.

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
That could be true. :)

I had thought a bit about that example last night, and thought perhaps the following variations could be tried:
  1. My voice rose an octave. -- (similar to the original)
  2. My voice rose up an octave.
  3. My voice rose by an octave.
  4. My voice rose up by an octave.
and see how Microsoft Word treats them. (Curious to see if a little word or two might trigger Word onto a better path.) ... It might be that Word is, by default, treating the noun phrase "an octave" as an object for the head verb "rose" because the noun phrase is right next to the verb. Maybe.

Perhaps there's a covert/implicit "up" or "by" in there: My voice rose [by] an octave. Which could be structured then to be similar to: I beat him by a mile. Where the adjuncts are now easily seen to be prepositional phrases (PP). And now the obvious related questions that those two examples could be answering: How much did you beat him by in the race? How high up did your voice rise?
It seems that an "object" is more than a mere noun phrase (NP), and that perhaps there's also some certain semantic meaning needed between a verb head and its NP complement to make that NP be its object.

One rough guideline to see if the NP is an object might be to try to substitute "it" for it:
e.g. I threw the ball. ==> I threw it. -- (object)
e.g. My voice rose an octave. ==> *My voice rose it. -- (ungrammatical)​
Just thought of another example to try: replace "rose" with "fell" and see if Word has the same problem.
  • B.1 My voice fell an octave. -- (somewhat similar to the original problem)
  • B.2 My voice fell down an octave.
  • B.3 My voice fell by an octave.
  • B.4 My voice fell down by an octave.
But, but, this can't actually be a general problem for Word, could it? For this type of structure is common:
e.g. He waited five minutes.​
Surely Word can handle that ... (That's another intransitive verb followed by a NP.) ... Now I'm even more confused as to what Word is "thinking".
To add more confusion: in a dictionary is this,
wait |wāt|
verb [ intrans. ]
1 stay where one is or delay action until a particular time or until something else happens : he did not wait for a reply | they will wait on a Supreme Court ruling | [with infinitive ] Ben stood on the street corner waiting to cross | [ trans. ] I had to wait my turn to play.
In that last example, I guess that dictionary considers "my turn" to be an object, and that usage of "wait" to be transitive. (*shrugs*)

Usually, an object (of an active clause) can correspond to the subject of a corresponding passive version. Working with that dictionary's last example, to make the passive version, I'd probably mess up. ... But if we look at:
1. My voice rose an octave.
1.b *An octave was risen by my voice. -- (It don't seem to work.)​

... Ah, let the grammarians and linguists explain that kinda stuff. :D

Last edited:

KillingAurora

...with fire.
Registered
Reaction score
I love the detailed explanations :) I feel smarter already!

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it to me :D