Western NC/SC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crock-o-dile

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in way-western NC, in the Murphy/Franklin area. Pretty sure I'm all alone out here. *waves*

I envy you guys in the Triad.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, you live in Cherokee country! So, so beautiful up there. I'm jealous :)

I love that area of our mountains where the SC or GA mountains start. Maybe we could all plan a meeting in that corner of our region? It's not very far from Greenville, and it's not so hot, lol.

Anyone else in that region or who likes to day-trip there? Georgia folks, too!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
How far west are we counting as Western? Though I'm pretty sure the Triangle doesn't count under any definition.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com

I love that area of our mountains where the SC or GA mountains start. Maybe we could all plan a meeting in that corner of our region? It's not very far from Greenville, and it's not so hot, lol.

I would totally do a weekend meet in the Boone/Blowing Rock area (it's where I'm from) :)

Crock-o-dile

Registered
Reaction score

It is gorgeous. Lots of trees and not a lot else. So I guess it depends on how you feel about trees. :)

justbishop--I have friends who went to school in Boone, but never been up that way myself. I'd totally be down for a drive sometime, though.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I'd still love to get a little retreat going at some point in Boone/BR, but won't be able to afford a hotel stay til at least the start of the new year. Would anyone else be up for a 2 night (Fri-Sun) stay/write-in/general meet and hangout type thing around that time? What would everyone's budget be like as far as room prices? My step sister is Exec. Housekeeper at a hoity-toity inn in BR, and might be able to get us a deal. Otherwise, the Hampton Inn in Boone is decent and about $100/night, I believe.

Aside from that, just wanted to let any interested that I generally camp out at the Starbucks in Greer, SC on Friday nights. If anyone is in the area or wants to make the drive, I'd be happy for the company :)

tamara

What the what?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just north of the Triad, on the VA line. Nice to see so many people within shouting distance. :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I could maybe do that, as long as the weather is predictable this year. It sounds like great fun! I could definitely do a spring one, I think.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I might make the drive in the Spring, but it would depend on the dates.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not in NC, but just over the TN border, about an hour and a half from Asheville.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I work front desk at a hotel in the Greenville SC area now. We tend to be deadish on the weekends. I could probably get us an amazing room rate if we wanted to do a long weekend meetup there. We have an indoor pool :D

Asmodeus

It's official... Reality is wrong.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,
Hickory, NC here would love to join for the weekend but hard for me to travel still would like to start something either here or elsewhere (wedsite?) on line.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I could really use a weekend of intense writing. Anyone up for the Greenville SC area in late October? I'm thinking Friday the 25th through Sunday the 27th. I can probably swing a $39+tax/night room rate at work (normally ~$120+tax/night). Hot breakfast and wifi included, indoor pool.

Not really an organized retreat/conference or anything, just an opportunity to immerse yourself in your WIP and commiserate with other writers for a bit. No fees (though it might be fun for each person to bring a prize for word wars), no scheduled speakers, just dedicated chunks of time to write. Thought maybe we could write/discuss/crit in the public areas of the hotel, order in or go out to eat together and talk writing, etc. No worries about creepy internet people, since you'd have your own room and all gathering would be done in full view of other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.