PDA

View Full Version : Full Request Etiquette?

UniversalExport
07-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Last week, on a whim I sent a query for my novel to about fifteen agents, and within a day received four full requests. Now, in case there's a fifth or a sixth request, should I let them know upfront that the manuscript is being read already by other agents? Should I let those four know that it's simultaneously being read elsewhere? Thanks!!

Kewii
07-04-2012, 12:21 AM
I would only let them know if:
a) They ask for an exclusive and you're explaining why you can't grant it.
b) You get an offer.

Otherwise, I don't think there's a point to letting them know other people have your MS. If you end up getting rejections from those agents, then it wouldn't matter anyway.

Also, you should check out the Ask an Agent forum. Some good information in there about querying and fulls and all that such.

Karen Junker
07-04-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that unless an agent has requested an exclusive you don't need to let them know. If you do get an offer of rep, then you would inform the others and give them a chance to finish reading and make a decision.

I am so happy for you!

triceretops
07-04-2012, 12:25 AM
What Karen just said. Keep it under your hat until you have an exclusive request or offer.

tri

jjdebenedictis
07-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Congratulations; that's awesome!

Susan Littlefield
07-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Congratulations!!

river.rising
07-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Congrats!

Miss Plum
07-04-2012, 06:57 AM
Congratulations, and I hope that somewhere you'll share the query letter that worked such magic. (Not sure where to do that in these forums but there must be a place.)

savagelilies
07-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Congrats! You must have some query. ;)

UniversalExport
07-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys :) From what I understand though, it still doesnt mean anyone's going to make an offer. We'll see.. For now I don't wanna get too excited.It's still been only a week, there might be other requests still. Or are most of those coming within a day or two? I'll keep you posted!

Phaeal
07-04-2012, 04:06 PM
You have a hell of a query letter or a hell of a hot concept or both. CGs!

No need to tell the agents about each other unless one requests an exclusive read or you get a rep offer. If you get a rep offer, tell the offering agent you have other subs out and ask for a week to decide. Then tell the other agents they have a week to decide whether they want to offer rep or not.