Cheyenne symbols and extraneous culture information

missouridalton

Propoganda wrapped up in a scarf.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
missouridalton.blogspot.com
Hiya, as the title states, I'm trying to find accurate information on Cheyenne symbols and any miscellaneous cultural information. Specifically interested in shape-shifting lore, modern naming systems and any links to accurate information on their language.

Thanks in advance.

Kafff

Registered
Reaction score
Nobody answered it, and I can't say anything of substance either, except... Except that there is pretty good (and even scientific) googleable info on Cheyenne language in the wild wide world of internet.

One interesting bit is a God/mythological figure of Trickster among Cheyennes. It is represented as a spider (like in Gaiman's American Gods), even though it seems that Coyote-Trickster is more common among Native Americans. Anyways the name vehoe traditionally meant spider (animal) and Spider (God/mythological figure Trickster), but now practically means "white man". Nothing exclusive though, in other Native languages white men may also be named after a mythological figure.

missouridalton

Propoganda wrapped up in a scarf.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
missouridalton.blogspot.com
The problem I'm having is there is quite a bit, and I'm not sure what is accurate, because some of it disagrees and I don't want to look like an idiot. My local libraries don't have much outside Choctaw and Ohio Native American information, and my largest knowledge base is on Navajo, and I don't want to get that mixed up.

I am interested to see that the trickster is a spider though, that's interesting.

If anyone can point me in the direction of the more reliable links, I'm happy to research myself, I just want to make sure I'm not going to the wrong places.

Kafff

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I googled myself, and now I know I spoke from my memory. Years ago (a decade?) I found a pretty good site about Cheyenne language with an informative sketch on its phonetics and grammar, plus additional anthropological/historical information, by a researcher on the language (probably by Wayne Leman). Now this is nowhere to be found.

Well, nearly nowhere, it seems that this page is a collection of some Leman's material, but not all (as I remember). Several links are not working.
http://webspace.webring.com/people/cc/cheyenne_language/cheypgs.htm

Don't miss the pdf about Cheyenne names with English translation:
http://webspace.webring.com/people/cc/cheyenne_language/names.pdf