PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France 2012 [congrats Bradley Wiggins!]

Priene
07-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Can I interest anyone in a three week spin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9POYvZFyms&feature=related) around a large European country?

Xelebes
07-03-2012, 07:59 PM
I have no idea if Hesjedal is in the race.

Calla Lily
07-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Geraint Thomas is skipping it to go to the Olympics. I can understand this, I guess. :tongue

sailor
07-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Waking up early to watch it, starts here at 5 AM. The stage today was crazy. After today, Hesjedal is in 8th, 18 seconds behind. But a couple of contenders got caught out because of the crashes.

A few riders are skipping to concentrate on the Olympics but a few are going to try both. Cavendish being one.

Priene
07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
I liked that dodgy turn near the finish. I can imagine the planners thinking 'have we made this a bit TOO tight? Nah.'

sailor
07-03-2012, 10:35 PM
If the stage had been flatter, with the leadout trains for the sprinters, that corner would have been carnage. Since it was at the end of some cat 3's and 4's, the racers were spread out a little more. No, not too tight.

Would have been fun if it was a hairpin turn. Maybe next year.

mccardey
07-03-2012, 10:48 PM
If the stage had been flatter, with the leadout trains for the sprinters, that corner would have been carnage. Since it was at the end of some cat 3's and 4's, the racers were spread out a little more. No, not too tight.

Would have been fun if it was a hairpin turn. Maybe next year.

On July 14th, it comes to within forty minutes of our place. :welcome: That should be fun

(But I still wish they'd added le Mont Ventoux this year... it's even closer and so so scarey-steep!)

Xelebes
07-04-2012, 07:09 PM
On July 14th, it comes to within forty minutes of our place. :welcome: That should be fun

(But I still wish they'd added le Mont Ventoux this year... it's even closer and so so scarey-steep!)

Up or down? Whiteknuckling down would be pretty bad - there used to be a pretty good whiteknuckle by my house - easily match the cars on the freeway right alongside on a fixie.

mccardey
07-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Up or down? Whiteknuckling down would be pretty bad - there used to be a pretty good whiteknuckle by my house - easily match the cars on the freeway right alongside on a fixie.

Up and down. And I was in a car ;)

I've decided I'd rather they went around it, rather than up (or down). It really is too steep. Someone will fall off and Really Hurt Themselves.

Actually I think I'd rather they just went towards it. That would take them past my place and I could hang a little sign on my gate that said - politely - "Go, Cadel!" And maybe he'd be so far ahead he'd have time to hop off and come inside for a nice cold drink and a pain au chocolat or something.

That would be fun :)

ETA : *sigh*. It's not going to happen, though, is it?

Priene
07-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Mark Cavendish is lucky to still be in one piece after that crash.

mccardey
07-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Poor Cavendish. That was awful. And if that's going to happen on the flat straight bits, I don't want them anywhere near Old Baldy.

Priene
07-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Poor Cavendish. That was awful. And if that's going to happen on the flat straight bits, I don't want them anywhere near Old Baldy.

It makes me laugh (or maybe despair) when I see footballers rolling around in agony when they've not been touched and compare it with cyclists lke Vino-whatsis last year who managed to keep going even as they're stitched up.

sailor
07-05-2012, 03:40 AM
One year, Tyler Hamilton finished the race with a broken collarbone. He crashed in the tail end of the first week, just before the mountain stages. These cyclists will go on with one leg sometimes. The second stage this year, that young frenchman going up a cat 4 with one hand, the other hanging down because it was too painful to have it on the bars with his fingers dislocated. It's been said that if you're a professional cyclist you are going to it the pavement, hard, at some point in your career.

It takes a different sort of animal to get into those mass sprint finishes on the 'straight bits'. Cavendish's helmet looked a mess, imagine if he wasn't wearing it.

I like the mountain stages, the agony of the guys going up, steeper and steeper. Then the descents, flying down like madmen. Some are better descending than ascending. Throw some rain into the mix and it's really crazy.

KellyAssauer
07-05-2012, 05:41 AM
I like it all. I get so mesmerized... the sweeping landscape, the distant vistas... the breathing motion of the peloton... oh wait, wasn't that a 500 year old building we just glided by? It's soo beautiful... and then there's the odd chance of rider in a breakaway actually winning...

I'd really like to see Thomas Voeckler on the podium in Paris by his own effort... and if Andreas Kloden has really become team captain... I'll laugh and laugh, because he's been trying so long to be a team captain! (remembers him as a cocky pup and trying to oust Jan Ullrich for captain!)

Priene
07-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Obviously, I want Bradley Wiggins to win it, but that's about as likely as a British man getting to the final at Wimbledon...

mccardey
07-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Go, Cadel!

but safely. Not too fast, dear...:granny:

sailor
07-06-2012, 05:41 AM
Another sprint, another crash. I read that after the race Tyler Farrar was a tad upset (understatement) at the rider whom he thought caused the crash. It was the fourth time he's hit the pavement in 3 days I think. Sky decided to give Cavendish a lead out train this time but it didn't work. Probably still feeling the effects of yesterdays tumble at the finish.

Priene
07-06-2012, 07:17 PM
The biggest crash so far today. That was just carnage. Poor Frank Schleck couldn't even find his bike.

mccardey
07-06-2012, 07:20 PM
The biggest crash so far today. That was just carnage. Poor Frank Schleck couldn't even find his bike.

Missed all but the last 12 minutes today - I was writing :(

Looking forward to the hills, though :)

sailor
07-06-2012, 07:59 PM
With Schleck losing time today Kloden becomes the team leader for Radio Shack. He's still in 9th overall, 18 or 19 seconds back.

It seems the whole Garmin team was involved in the crash except Farrar (who had been dropped by the peloton) and Zabriskie (who was in the breakaway). Too bad for Hesjedal, losing 13+ minutes. Didn't think he was going to win but a top ten finish would have been nice.

mccardey
07-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Obviously, I want Bradley Wiggins to win it, but that's about as likely as a British man getting to the final at Wimbledon...

WELL, HEAVENS (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4415142/Andy-Murray-reaches-Wimbledon-final.html)!!!

:Sun:

(But I still want Cadel to win the tdf)

Priene
07-06-2012, 10:15 PM
WELL, HEAVENS (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4415142/Andy-Murray-reaches-Wimbledon-final.html)!!!

:Sun:

(But I still want Cadel to win the tdf)

Those Aussies haven't put a foot wrong. Unlike Sky, who seem to crash roughly once an hour.

mccardey
07-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Those Aussies haven't put a foot wrong. Unlike Sky, who seem to crash roughly once an hour.

Thank you. And your Andy Murray did nicely at Wimbledon :)

Priene
07-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Thank you. And your Andy Murray did nicely at Wimbledon :)

He's now officially Britain's Andy Murray, as opposed to Scotland's.

mccardey
07-06-2012, 10:27 PM
He's now officially Britain's Andy Murray, as opposed to Scotland's.

I know. I actually wikied him just to be sure. There are a bunch of Andy Murray - Scottish or British? pages: and a little facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Andy-Murray-Scottish-When-Losing-British-When-Winning/229134587113033)that sums it up nicely.

:ROFL:

mario_c
07-09-2012, 12:43 AM
A few riders are skipping to concentrate on the Olympics but a few are going to try both. Cavendish being one.That's unbelievable. I salute their superior cardio. :D

Priene
07-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Cavendish should never have joined Sky. He's just a spare part around the Wiggins machine.

sailor
07-09-2012, 05:39 PM
The danger of doing both is getting hurt in the tour. Hesjedal may be able to ride in the olympic road race but probably not at full strength. Samuel Sanchez probably won't defend his gold medal due to the broken wrist and shoulder he suffered in the latest crash. With only a week between the end of the tour and the olympic race, there isn't much recovery time. Time trialists have it a little better, a few more days in between.

Cavendish had to find another team when HTC folded. They were geared for him, their leadout train the best. They didn't have a real GC contender and were after stage wins. But they ran out of money. Most other upper echelon teams were either strictly GC or already had sprinters on board. He probably figured he could freelance with Sky, like Robbie McEwan did for his career. Also, he lost some weight this year for the olympics. The course has a small climb on it, not even a cat 4. But they do it 9 times. Sprinters are generally heavier/more muscled than climbers to generate the power for the sprint. The less weight you have to haul over a climb, the better. So Cavendish probably doesn't have the power that he is used to and that affects how he times his last thrust to the line. Being in the crashes hasn't helped.

HTC would control the race at the end because they had so many on their train. Other teams wouldn't allocate as many to their sprinters. With them gone, more teams have their trains going and that causes mass confusion at times. As Voekler said 'the road is only so wide and everyone is trying to be there.' A recipe for chaos. 20 withdrawals so far, 1 due to sickness, 19 for injury. The last time they had this many during the first week was when entire teams were tossed if one was caught doping. No dopings this week.

DreamWeaver
07-12-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm afraid you spoke too soon (Di Gregorio, though it appears to be related to an ongoing investigation from 2011, not this year's Tour).

Priene
07-12-2012, 08:51 PM
The last couple of days have been amazing. It's looking good for Sky, less so for Cadel.

Priene
07-15-2012, 08:09 PM
That was something I've never been before: tacks thrown (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/15/tour-de-france-stage-14-live) on the road.

mccardey
07-15-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm terrifically impressed with that young Wiggins boy

Guardian: Aware of what's going on behind him, where six or seven riders including Evans, Carpets, Cummings and Kloden had punctured, Bradley Wiggins signals too those with him to slow down and wait for Evans to catch up. Wiggins has sportingly decided that, seeing as there was no car on hand to help his rival, it would be unfair for him to take advantage of his misfortune. :granny: Such a nice thing to do - he's been very well brought up.

Priene
07-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Such a nice thing to do - he's been very well brought up.

Well, he is a Londoner.

DreamWeaver
07-15-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm a Cadel fan from way back, so I haven't been that pleased with Wiggins being in yellow. I have to say I'm a lot happier with it now Wiggins showed such sportsmanlike behavior today. Wiggins also showed he has the true patron authority over the peloton. That was impressive.

sailor
07-16-2012, 02:30 AM
It's good to see that sort of sportsmanship and it happens in the Tour quite often. Jan Ulrich fell on a mountain descent and Lance Armstrong slowed to allow him to catch up. The next year the roles were reversed. Armstrong fell while climbing, I think it's the one where his handlebars caught a bag held by a spectator. Ulrich waited for Armstrong to repay the courtesy.

On the other side, a couple of years ago Andy Schleck had his chain come off on an ascent and Alberto Contador attacked. He was skewered in the papers that night for 'breaking the code'.

I hope they catch the twits that threw the tacks. Doubtful but one can always hope.

DreamWeaver
07-16-2012, 03:46 AM
That section of the course was lined with hundreds of spectators armed with cameras, taking pictures obsessively. Bet someone shot something that would help identify the [expletive deleteds], or at least help pinpoint the time the carpet tacks were scattered.

Calla Lily
07-16-2012, 03:49 AM
The tack thrower(s) should be forced to pay for every piece of equipment they ruined. Since Tour bikes are not your average machine, that should be quite the painful lesson. I'm thinking that with so many cameras being used, some good old-fashioned footage scrutiny will yeild results.

The Tour is filled with people who know what sportsmanship really means. I have forgotten the name of the rider (it was in the 90s, I think) who wasn't wearing a helmet and crashed headfirst into the side of a cliff on a Pyreness descent. Killed instantly. The next day, every team held back so the deceased rider's team could cross the finish line in a row, hand in hand. My husband and I sat there watching it, in tears.

sailor
07-16-2012, 05:55 AM
Fabio Casartelli, 1995, 15th stage. There is a memorial where he died, a sundial that casts a shadow on 3 dates: his birth, death and the date he won an olympic gold medal for the road race. wiki link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabio_Casartelli)

Calla Lily
07-16-2012, 06:00 AM
Thanks, sailor. :)

Priene
07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Say it ain't so (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/18/frank-schleck-sample-denies-wrongdoing), Frank.

Calla Lily
07-18-2012, 06:00 PM
We used to love watching the Tour. Now we cringe every time we see a "breaking News" banner. :(

DreamWeaver
07-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Bad day for Cadel. Very sad. Lost a lot of time, down to 7th. :(

Not as bad as Fränk Schleck's day, of course.

Calla Lily
07-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Gah. Worse than the tack-throwing asshat day? :(

DreamWeaver
07-19-2012, 06:26 AM
Gah. Worse than the tack-throwing asshat day? :(That was bad, but it gave the peloton a chance to show their good side in waiting for the many who flatted.

I don't think there is a good side to Schleck getting busted for banned substances, unless it's to show that they are catching suspected drug cheats in cycling. Heaven knows that's something they don't do much in baseball or football.

Cadel losing so much time--well, that has a good side for the Wiggins and Nibali supporters. Just not for me ;) .

Priene
07-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Cadel losing so much time--well, that has a good side for the Wiggins and Nibali supporters. Just not for me ;) .

I guess I'm a Wiggins fan, but it's far more fun watching a close race, so I have mixed feelings about Cadel being eight minutes behind. Nibali is a tough nut, but in the newspaper this morning he was saying he's now trying to stay on the podium, not win it. So if Wiggins doesn't get cracked today he's probably going to win the Tour, and Britain will have its first winner since...ever.

And it's all live on ITV4, which you need a map and compass to find on your Freeview box, so probably not to a huge domestic audience.

DreamWeaver
07-19-2012, 05:37 PM
ISo if Wiggins doesn't get cracked today he's probably going to win the Tour, and Britain will have its first winner since...ever.If Cadel isn't going to win it, that's the best outcome & I'm thrilled for all you Brits :D.

anguswalker
07-21-2012, 04:21 PM
So Wiggins heads Cav's leadout train, they time it to perfection and Cav wins it from 600m out. The sun's coming out, Bradley Wiggins is in yellow with only the TT to come and Cav looks like he'll be unbeatable at Box Hill.

What is the world coming to?

waylander
07-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Wiggins wins the TT!

Priene
07-21-2012, 09:45 PM
The last few days have been fantastic. Pity it's all over except for Wiggins swilling champagne on the Peripherique and Cav bombing unfeasibly fast down the Champs d'Elysses.

DreamWeaver
07-21-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm betting Wiggins is taking part in leading Cavendish out on the Champs-Élysées tomorrow. That sprint Friday was amazing! :D

Priene
07-23-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm betting Wiggins is taking part in leading Cavendish out on the Champs-Élysées tomorrow.

..and so it came to pass. This year's tour was simply great. Roll on next year.

anguswalker
07-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Interestingly, the French are calling it the most boring Tour de France since the War (http://jeanpaulbrouchon-cyclisme.typepad.fr/info_courses/2012/07/wiggins-vainqueur-dun-tour-ennuyeux.html) and I sort of get what they're saying. In retrospect it was more one-sided even than any of Lance's or Miguel's many victories. Sky never looked remotely troubled and there was a certain repetitiveness to it all.

No disrespect to Wiggins of course: as he has said multiple times you can only beat the opposition who turn up. I do wonder though what the tour would be like without radios. Millar's description of the Sky team bus as the Death Star has some basis to it. Everything is so planned and methodical that it does take some of the mad unpredictability out of it all.

Priene
07-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Interestingly, the French are calling it the most boring Tour de France since the War (http://jeanpaulbrouchon-cyclisme.typepad.fr/info_courses/2012/07/wiggins-vainqueur-dun-tour-ennuyeux.html) and I sort of get what they're saying. In retrospect it was more one-sided even than any of Lance's or Miguel's many victories. Sky never looked remotely troubled and there was a certain repetitiveness to it all.

That may be partly down to the improved drugs regulations. Since competitors can no longer get a nightly blood infusion, they have less energy to launch big attacks in the mountains.

DreamWeaver
07-24-2012, 07:26 AM
I kept waiting for either Phil or Paul to refer to the Sky juggernaut at the head of the peloton mile after mile by saying, "Here come the Men in Black." But I never heard it :( .

DreamWeaver
07-29-2012, 06:57 AM
Adding after the Olympic Men's Road Race...

Vino off the front!!!!!!!

Didn't think I'd ever be hearing that again, especially not for a gold medal :D.

anguswalker
07-29-2012, 10:11 AM
I do wonder though what the tour would be like without radios.
Perhaps we saw yesterday...

Priene
07-29-2012, 01:49 PM
'Is that a Spaniard at the front? No, I think he might be Dutch or maybe Australian but I can't read his number so he could be Cadel Evans or maybe Rolf Harris. We don't know what the gap to the lead group is or whether it's growing or shrinking but Mark Cavendish is leading Team GB up Box Hill or maybe it's Froome or Bradley Wiggins or David Millar or that Stannard guy. I'd like to tell you all sorts of interesting statistics but I can't see my screen because the sun is shining...'

DreamWeaver
07-30-2012, 07:27 AM
'Is that a Spaniard at the front? No, I think he might be Dutch or maybe Australian but I can't read his number so he could be Cadel Evans or maybe Rolf Harris. We don't know what the gap to the lead group is or whether it's growing or shrinking but Mark Cavendish is leading Team GB up Box Hill or maybe it's Froome or Bradley Wiggins or David Millar or that Stannard guy. I'd like to tell you all sorts of interesting statistics but I can't see my screen because the sun is shining...'The Tour broadcasts--especially the graphics--really have me spoiled. Didn't ever see a listing of who was in the breakaway.

DreamWeaver
08-01-2012, 06:07 AM
...and now it turns out that the thousands of fans tweeting on their cell phones from Box Hill maxed out the wireless capability & prevented the GPS information from the bike transponders getting to the Olympics TV graphics operators. At least, that's what they're reporting.

That's a new one. I guess it sounds plausible. It was a pretty rural area and they probably didn't have great wireless coverage to begin with. Or am I being naïve?