PDA

View Full Version : Two different manuscripts and agents

MJRevell
07-02-2012, 05:38 PM
If you have two different complete books out on submission, an agent makes an offer on one, and you want to sign with them - what is the process with the second agent who has the second book?

So: Agent A has Book A, and Agent B has Book B...

I presume if you sign with A, the agent will want to sell Book B too?

Should you let Agent B with Book B know ASAP?

Barbara R.
07-02-2012, 05:44 PM
If you have two different complete books out on submission, an agent makes an offer on one, and you want to sign with them - what is the process with the second agent who has the second book?

So: Agent A has Book A, and Agent B has Book B...

I presume if you sign with A, the agent will want to sell Book B too?

Should you let Agent B with Book B know ASAP?

You don't hire an agent for a particular book, you hire one to handle all your work. So yes, if you have an offer from Agent A and you want to accept it, you should notify Agent B that you're withdrawing the book because you have accepted another offer of representation.

I have occasionally heard of writers who have one agent for adult books and another for children's books, but that's unusual and doesn't seem relevant to your situation.

MJRevell
07-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, this is what I thought - I just thought I would check.

Debbie V
07-02-2012, 11:24 PM
If agent A does not generally rep the kind of book B is, say it's inspirational non-fiction not genre fiction; ask them about it. They may pass, they may decide to give it a go (and if they have no expertise in that area it may do poorly), they may pass it to a colleague and get a share of sales, or they may be willing to see how Book A does before deciding about B. If you sign with A, you're expected to offer A the rest of your work.