Two different manuscripts and agents

MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
If you have two different complete books out on submission, an agent makes an offer on one, and you want to sign with them - what is the process with the second agent who has the second book?

So: Agent A has Book A, and Agent B has Book B...

I presume if you sign with A, the agent will want to sell Book B too?

Should you let Agent B with Book B know ASAP?

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
If you have two different complete books out on submission, an agent makes an offer on one, and you want to sign with them - what is the process with the second agent who has the second book?

So: Agent A has Book A, and Agent B has Book B...

I presume if you sign with A, the agent will want to sell Book B too?

Should you let Agent B with Book B know ASAP?

You don't hire an agent for a particular book, you hire one to handle all your work. So yes, if you have an offer from Agent A and you want to accept it, you should notify Agent B that you're withdrawing the book because you have accepted another offer of representation.

I have occasionally heard of writers who have one agent for adult books and another for children's books, but that's unusual and doesn't seem relevant to your situation.

MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, this is what I thought - I just thought I would check.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If agent A does not generally rep the kind of book B is, say it's inspirational non-fiction not genre fiction; ask them about it. They may pass, they may decide to give it a go (and if they have no expertise in that area it may do poorly), they may pass it to a colleague and get a share of sales, or they may be willing to see how Book A does before deciding about B. If you sign with A, you're expected to offer A the rest of your work.